Posts by nadelewitz

My storage drive, labelled FileServer2TB, has two shared folders on it: fileserver and images. I am trying out using rsync in Scheduled Jobs-rsync. My first job is running as I type this.

The command I am using is:

rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Fileserver2TB/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-GlyphBackup2TB.

Question is: can the command be made to sync ONLY the fileserver folder, or ONLY images, but not both?

Fileserver changes every day, while Images rarely changes and doesn't need frequent syncing.

I am not Linux-handy. The command came from the OMV User Guide, which is wonderful, but going further with it is beyond me.

Thanks for any help.

Some time ago I attempted to set up OMV 5 on a Raspberry Pi to replace my OMV4-Pi system.

Used the detailed procedure provided by...installing Raspbian all the other pieces of software, script, etc.

Raspbian installed, got a proper IP address.....

Then the OMV5 install resulted in the IP address disappearing. No way to access the GUI, obviously. Did the entire install process two additional times. Same result.

Could not find this discussed on the forums. Is this a known issue, with a solution? I'm using OMV4, which is working fine. But I do want to upgrade.

Thank all of you who responded to my original post.

After a COMPLETE read of the OMV setup and new user guides, I realize the error of my ways.

I discovered in the User Guides that OMV does not even recommend USB Backup for doing a straight storage backup but to use rsync, I then saw that OMV says NOT TO use the Rsync Service., but to use Scheduled Jobs-Rsync.

I am right now doing my first test of an rsync job from Scheduled Jobs-rsync (on my OMV4-Raspberry Pi server:, using the

rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Fileserver2TB/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-GLYPH3-1TB

command format also found in the User Guide. It looks to be working.

This leaves me with a question: WHY is there an Rsync SERVICE if OMV recommends not using it?

I still intend to build an OMV server (on a PC, not a Pi) to replace the OMV 4 system. I am having myriad problems just getting OMV 5 to install properly and be configured....bad initial installs, errors in saving changes, etc. That will be another post.

Mr. Agricola and others:

1. Where does it say that OMV 6 is in Alpha? I went to the OMV homepage, clicked "Downloads", and the resulting list offers 5 and 6, with no mention of this.

2. I learned in starting out with version 4 that the main STORAGE DRIVE needs to be ext4, but backup drives can be NTFS (or other). This came from OMV, not my imagination. That is how OMV 4 has been working fine for me for years.

3. What is confusing in my reason not to use RAID? All that I am saying came from OMV, and researching why I could not retrieve data from a RAID drive when connecting it to a Linux or Windows computer.

Isn't the point of having backup drives that they can be accessed to get the data on them outside the OMV system? If the only way to access the data on a backup drive is by connecting it to a Linux machine, it would be of little use, as I am not a Linux user. This has not been a concern with my OMV 4 use.

I will try Version 5 on the PC.

OMV is exremely frustrating.

I have been running an OMV 4-Raspberry Pi system for years with USB Backup, with no problems except for not getting rsynch to work.

Three backup drives, all NTFS formatted, and mounted.

I am trying to setup a new OMV 6 system, on a PC rather than a Pi. This is after not being able to solve problems with OMV 5-Pi installation.

I want to see if upgrading OMV will let me schedule USB Backups, instead of running them manually.

After getting a working shared folder available on the network, I'm having nothing but trouble getting USB Backup to run. I copied the setup of file systems (NTFS formatted drives, mounted) from the working OMV 4 system. Tried using different drives and flash drives. All are failing upon clicking "Run." Went from "uuid" problems to another cryptic red-box error that is all gibberish to me.

Is there anyone out there who can give detailed instructions on how to ensure the function of USB Backup?

To head-off the mention, no I will not use RAID. I have to be able to take one of the backup drives and read it in Windows should the main storage drive fail. Learned by trial and error on the old OMV 4 system that this does not happen. This is why my backup drives are NTFS instead of ext4.

HELP!!!!!!

I guess I don't understand what "Mounting" does.

I started (again) with a fresh install of OMV 6. Got everything working up to trying USB Backup.

I UNmounted the USB Backup drive filesystem. Attempting a USB Backup again and still get this when clicking "Start":

I do not understand why this is failing. When I setup OMV 4 on a Raspberry Pi for my original (and current) NAS, I never had problems with USB Backup.

Is there some way to see what the UUID is of the backup drive?

I just installed OMV 6, and waded through getting all the settings done, so now I have an accessible share visible on my network

My problem is in creating a USB Backup drive. I am getting three RED errors after selecting the drive and clicking "Apply". They regard a 400 UUID problem, a 500 Internal Server Error, and a long one I do not begin to understand.

This was easy in OMV 4, which I am migrating from on a different machine.omv 6 usb backup error.pdf

What is wrong? What do I do?

Been using OMV 4 on my NAS for couple years on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. Very happy with it except that I have not gotten RSYNC to run. Been using USB Backup to backup my fileserver storage drive.

Decided to try OMV 5 on another same model Pi to test it/see how it works. Installed it first time and everything went fine, except I messed it up when assigning it a static IP address. So I wiped the microSD card and started over.

Install appeared to be good, but the Pi's DHCP IP address was undetectable. Putty could not see it anymore.

I've done it twice MORE, and found that everything is good thru installing Raspbian. Has a DHCP address, Putty sees it, etc. I can ping the Pi fine from Windows. But after installing OMV (with the script in the OMV directions), the Pi no longer has an IP address. I can see it when looking at the Pi directly with a monitor, keyboard. the "ifconfig" command does not show the eth0 interface. All it shows is inet 127.0.0.1.

What can be going on here? Three failures after an initial good install, following OMV's procedure EXACTLY every time.