Beiträge von MikeInOr

I appreciate the considerate informative reply! :)

My 14TB drive came in. I decided to format it as NTFS and put it into my workstation. It took a little more than a day to copy 10TB of media files from my OMV server over to this new backup drive in my workstation. This was over a 10Gbs ethernet link and the drive speed was definitely the limiting factor in the transfer. Copying all of my photos to a SSD in the same machine is easily 8 times faster.

Doing a sync with robocopy (copy any new data to the new drive and get rid of any deleted data on the new drive) takes about 15 minutes for rcopy to compare the directories with only a handful of new media files to copy over. I think I will stick with this simple easy solution and just schedule the robocopy job on my workstation.

P.S. I did load a Zorin and a Mint virtual machines on my workstation. Good idea!

I have been running OMV for a few years now and love it. Last week my 43TB SAS RAID drive died and I pooped myself. I replaced the SAS RAID controller and was able to get my RAID back online. I have ordered a Toshiba 16TB SATA drive that I would like to use for backing up my main data store. I love OMV but live in a Windows world and have several Windows workstations. What is the best way to do automatic backups to the 16TB drive and be able to read it on a Windows 11 workstation? I do not need historical file access, whatever is on OMV at the moment I would like mirrored on the Windows readable drive. Once a day backup drive syncing should be plenty.

I have read posts that NTFS drives can be mounted on OMV but really only for reading because NTFS does not support ACL's.

I have read the ext4 drives can be mounted on windows with "extra software".

What app should I use to do my periodic sync from my data drive to the Windows readable backup drive? RSync? Something else?

Is there something I have missed?

Should I just put the 16TB drive in a Windows workstation and use a ROBOCOPY job to keep it in sync with my OMV shares over the network?

I am pretty much a novice with Linux but can follow online tutorials well enough to get most apps running. I am currently running Docker/Portainer, PLEX, CloudCMD, Transmission-openvpn, HomeAssistant and zwave-js in containers on my OMV server. My OMV hardware is an old AMD workstation motherboard with 64MB DDR3 RAM, some AMD processor, 10Gbs Mellanox nic, Avago / AMI / Megaraid SAS raid controller with 8tb SAS drives in RAID 5 with a hot spare. I am currently running OMV5 but will upgrade to OMV6 if needed.

P.S. I do currently keep multiple backups of all my important files like photos and personal files but the thought of losing my entire PLEX media library was not a happy thought. :(

Thank you for the informative, non condescending replies!

New OMV user here!

Introduction:

I have been using Plex for 10+ years on Linux and Windows server hosts.

Recently my 12TB Windows 10 "server" filled up, dropped a drive out of the RAID 5 on an LSI 9260-8i AND had a Windows melt down!

I just brought up a OMV server with 4 - NOB (New Open Box) 12TB Hitachi drives on a LSI 9361-8i in RAID 5. CacheVault came on the 9361 but a battery is still in the mail.

I wasted some money along the way:

1) Thought 12Gb/s Hitachi drives would work with spare LSI 9260 controller (6Gb/s)

2) Bought a used LSI 9440-8i only to discover it is only a HBA and not really a RAID card.

3) Bought a couple Startech 5 bay hot swap SAS cages... Found out full height drive don't fit!

4) Bought a second Startech "TRAYLESS" 5 bay SAS cage to match my previous cage that I used for the Windows Plex host.

5) LSI 9631-8i uses a different cable connectors than LSI 9260-8i.

But I now have a functioning OMV server / Plex server that I am very impressed with! I know I could have used a software RAID instead of the hardware RAID but I have been using hardware RAIDs for 20+ years and LOVE the speed!!! Also OMV looked easier than FreeNAS and ZFS.

I have moved the 5 x 3TB RAID to my Workstation and I am starting to move all my files and media over to the new OMV server. After I have moved my file store I will put this old RAID in the new OMV server to backup important files.

I would like to setup a 10Gb/s link between my main WS and my new OMS in addition to their existing 1Gb/s links to the rest of my network. I actually have 2 reasons I would like to do this:

1) Speed.

2) I am now spending my days as a Software Engineer at home VPN'ing into the office. Compile times are less than 1/4 of what they are on my dog of an office WS. I would like to have access to my music / Plex on my home workstation WHILE I am VPN'd into the office.

Yes, I know the best way to accomplish #2 is to run my Dev (Visual Studio) environment in a virtual but I loose the amazing compile times of my amazing PCIe 4.0x4 NVMe when in the virtual.

Questions:

1) I assume this can be done by adding 10Gb/s nics to my WS and OMV server with a crossover cable between the two then giving them static IP's and force the routes via entries in the Hosts files?

2) Which cheap ebay nics Should I buy and which should I avoid? HP? Broadcom?

ebay broadcom 10Gb/s nic

ebay HP 10Gb/s nic

Other????

3) For 10Gb/s nics is SFP and SFP+ the same thing?

4) What do I need for a 10Gb/s crossover cable? I assume I can use just a special copper crossover cable and not have to buy transceivers?

5) Is there anything else I should consider, I am not thinking about, or I am just plain wrong about?

Great site! Great OS! Thank you! -Michael