Beiträge von kettcar

I was thinking about because the redundancy for a backupstorage as a colleague advised so.

On the other hand there are two versions (original drive and on the backup drive) - so no need for a "backup backup", right? Also better for usable capacity.

Thanks for all your answers.

I just want to let you know that I have a working system now that I got for free (spare computer from my job):

Asus B85M Board with an i3-4160 and 16 GB RAM, 350 W Standard-PSU.

Tomorrow I'm gonna add 2 x 4 TB Seagate IronWolf HDD (will use them in a RAID 1).

Will spend the weekend with some configuration, I guess :)

Adoby thanks for pointing out the importance of a well working network. I'm using a GbE environment at home (CAT 7 in almost every room) with a Netgear switch (JGS524Ev2).

The only spare hardware I have right now is an AMD FX-6300 with mainboard (Asrock 970 extreme 4) and 8 GB RAM. I don't know how good this setup would handle multimedia/4k encoding. I would use an old graphics card for the installation and then remove it because of the power consumption. Would that be enough and could the CPU handle more docker container, if I like to implement them?

Hi there,

I hope my questions are not too annoying, but I need some assistance in my thoughts.

I would like to setup an OMV-NAS for these use cases:

1) Mediastreaming, incl. 4k video (Kodi or Plex in a docker container?)

2) Backupstorage for personal files from my devices

3) Filesharing between my devices (via Nextcloud?) / maybe in combination with the solution of 2)

Can I realize this with OMV?

I was thinking of this hardware:

Athlon 3000G on a A320-Board or Ryzen 3200G on a B450

8 GB / 16 GB RAM
    2x 4 GB WD red

System-SSD (some old 120 GB Intel drive), old case and power supply.

What is your opinion?

Thanks for any advice!