Beiträge von Nnyan

well that was short lived. I had put back my RAM and the SSD's so I thought I was in the clear, but as soon as I plugged in my SAS2 backplane to the motherboard back to the bootup stopping at initramfs. But that got me wondering and Unraid also pauses at the initramfs part (unpacking) but it continues then shortly afterwards loads the MPT SAS drivers.

So I've had limited time to play around with the server running this (it looks like Rocstor is very inactive to say the least despite a recent release so I took that off and installed windows server 2019 on that node). After a bunch of false starts (I got furthest with a netinstall of Debian 10 but still ran into various issues) I got through various problems/mistakes I was making.

Boot into CDROM with F12 Boot Menu

Disconnect all Hard Drives from SAS2 backplane

Do not connect USB drive to motherboard internal usb

Enable Legacy Mode in BIOS

Remove RAM down to 16GB or less (thankfully I still had a few ECC 4GB sticks lying around)

Disconnect IPMI network

Once I got through all that it installed with no errors. I have to say getting here was a PITA.

Hello all, in the process of trying out a few possible alternatives to replace my napp-it ZFS nas. I've been playing around with a few NAS OS's on my Supermicro Fat Twin quad (big twin really but I like fat twin better). So far I have Freenas, Unraid and Rocstor. All of these installed from a USB to a USB or SATADOM on the motherboard with zero hitches. My thought was to run the OMV on the 4th node to try it out with SnapRaid and MergerFS.

But I can't get past the install. It keeps dying on my at the initramfs part. I have re-installed this three more times (once to the initial usb, a second time to a known working usb then to the SATADOM) before I found this:

I did some googlefu and found this: initramfs after installation on usb disk from 2018 and that seems to still be a problem (that none of the others I tried has had).

But even after making a number of changes that seemed to have worked with others I get the same thing. Well... I will say that I did actually log in ONCE after many reboots (only rebooted to put in more RAM on that node) and viola it booted into the UI. I was able to log in make some changes but after the reboot back to getting stuck. At this point I'm almost ready to throw this out and just installing a linux distro to test out snapraid/mergerfs. :/