Posts by olduser

Setting up Code::Blocks IDE:

https://www.cprogramming.com/code_blocks/

An actively maintained tutorial on the C++ core foundation (with helpful user comments/?'s at the bottom of each lesson):

https://www.learncpp.com/

A decent math site to learn by example (very little verbage):

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/pre-algebra-calculator

If you want something more interactive to stay interested (ESP/ESP32 oriented, but still simplistically demonstrates the common Arduino API).

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/

A basic how-to on configuring random hardware in Arduino from datasheets using Wire.h (just a companion video for above link... can't find a text tutorial right now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9lZ5Qy5S2s

If you ever ponder the deeper decision of "why" while programming, it's simply because someone long ago decided to go left instead of right, but right was just as valid... so just roll with it.

I don't exactly understand what you mean. Why does the --delete option delete all your .xmp files?

On Windows, for a tmpfs substitute I use something called imdisk (http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/) for working/scratch drives and use mklink to hide the fact that the source is not local. As long as the virtual drive mounts and assigns the same drive letter everything is peachy, but when it doesn't mklink will still work as it's part of the script routine, but rsync won't be looking at what I want it to. In this specific case, it worked at first but during some reboot the drive letters rearranged and rysnc was looking at a mounted CF. I didn't notice and carried on, so needless to say when the virtual drive went away that left me with no existing edits.

Was this my fault? Sure, but since I removed --delete I've never had an error I can't recover from.

Let me add, that the only time you delete photographs is on import and from that point on, you'll never delete anything again. So why have a delete option of any kind in your workflow anywhere?

Pfff... as a photographer, --delete is a nightmare. You want to keep all edits even if the directory or filename has been changed, but with --delete that is simply a no-go and makes --delete 100% useless. Can't tell you how many .xmp's I lost with 1 sync, but it was around 500.

Even worse, if you use Adobe Lightroom it puts the old school file lock on there and *if* you leave Lightroom open rsync can hang (1 of the many reasons I stopped using Lightroom).

I have a tri and 2 amazon 4k firestick's put on each 5. Although I've had both on the same for 4k via netflix and amazon simultaneously and it works fine, but not when the movie is served locally to the firestick and the file is ~50GB, then it buffers/freezes on the same band. Your results may vary with ffmpeg/transcoding though, I just depend on the client and connection.

Being bored, that M.2 header has my curiosity. The webpage mentions there is 2 lanes allocate (1x1 header and LAN), but mentions nothing of the other 4 lanes (neither does the manual). However, the manual for that board specifically states that the M.2 header does not support M.2 SATA and your adapter clearly is using PCIe, so could that M.2 header be PCIe x4 and not just x1? I see nothing else on that board that would HAVE TO take any PCIe lanes. While with that board there is no direct way to physically fit a M.2 to x4 like this one, https://www.aliexpress.com..., but there is ribbons to adapt. At the very least, it would appear that you could run a x4 card at x1 with that adapter and not bother with melting the x1 header.

NOTE: melting the header is quick if you don't try to melt it all at once. Only melt away the outer ~85% then just snap off the remainder, this is surprisingly easy. If you try to melt it all at once, you might melt some plastic into in the landing zone and/or pins (not going to lie, I ruined my first couple this way).

I saw you post that and will check it out. As far as working with the same file structure, I won't be do doing that, at least not if you mean directly working off the source (OMV in my case) filesystem.

This isn't really topic related, but if you start down a more serious road in photography, don't buy into Nikon. If I didn't have so much invested in Nikon glass, I would switch to ANY other camp and be happier.

1. Nikon doesn't care like Nikon zealots think. Nikon rightfully has much more interest in their optics divisions, thus the D850 is the last Nikon product I'll ever buy. They really have substantially bigger profits in all fields but professional photography. I hate them for it, but I understand.

2. Both their F-mount and Z-mount (the newer one) are not friendly with ANY other mount. You'll see 6/8/12/16k video cameras that will have options for just about any mount... but Nikon's mounts are not ones you'll see. There's 3rd party adapters, but all of them lose length and speed because of how they must be designed.

Go for EF, PL, 3/4... anything but Nikon.

Just about any of them work for non-creative photography (ie. No SFX). I do NOT do creative, I just do basically what any photographer does. I almost solely use CaptureOne.

You'll see people always recommend Photoshop, but not for Photoshop itself, but for plugins. This is a very, very, very valid argument and as long as you process color balance and exposure in any raw tool, you can use very old Photoshop versions. Again, as some think it's more complexed.... you literally only need a tool to process CB and exposure... that's it and you can export to tiff and work in anything you want.

I've used Linux based tools, in fact do so more everyday, but finger rolling your own macros and plugins becomes tiresome, and some plugins in Photshop I don't know how to write period.

I stick with Windows only for photography. I work local out of "scratch" space, but I read off of the NAS, there's 2 possible downsides (but apparently only 2):

Optional problem*: WinApi STILL has a bug when renaming related to UNC. On occasions "//OMV/blah" will evaluate correctly for the copy, but on the delete, the evaluation will have removed the first '/', thus leaving "/OMV/blah", which of course fails but it does so silently leaving the original unwanted copy in place. Not sure which WinAPI or .Net version or whatever... but it can still happen so when you use any operation first, watch it.

Lastly, on Windows do not depend on your application to understand UNC. Luckily, the silver bullet for all photography programs I've used is 'mklink /D ...', which creates a sym link to any directory. This also eliminates the first UNC problem, so as you would guess I link everything.

Inkscape: this is a great tool, it's one I'm using more and more Linux, but not for photography as if I have a 14bit file, crashes and/or weird linear filter problems happen when I crop., but ONLY if I crop... strange madness. So if you also crop when you color balance and expose, Inkscape is great.

Adobe's Lightroom has the advantage in the tools department, or at least did. I stopped using it and moved to CaptureOne after it acquired certain tools.

Darktable is one I'll try about every 9 months. It has yet to NOT crash, but it crashes less and less, so I keep an eye on that one as it's a Lightroom clone.

Davinci Studio is kinda worth a mention. It runs on CentOS and even though it's a NLE for video, you can using the masking with the caveat that it's a much more manual process than you may be used to (a whole bunch of grab and pull) but it turns out very nice.

that statement doesn't align with my personal experience due to the ATX power supply used in a PC.

To get a baseline, would you be in a position to measure consumption of your setup and publish it here?

Any typical power supply does not care how much is connected, just how much is pulled. You have to go out of your way to push amperage, and I've never seen a PSU that is meant to directly power a PC do that. The 80+ initiative was a well intended initiative (just like Energy Star), but it's nearly useless once more than 1 PSU is referenced. Point being, there's no sense in asking people to test their PSU because there really is no baseline.

On a side note, if you really, REALLY care about pinching milliamps, try the sites for marijuana crop as those people work all angles where power is concerned as that is literally there #1 cost.

You can use masks to make excludes with --exclude-from, I have /$RECYCLE.BIN/ and /System Volume Information/

It looks like your rsync index is on the source drive your syncing. If so , it's very possible that rsync doesn't have the differentiability to spot suicide recursion (I've never tested this). So outside of removing the sticky bit, either let the errors happen or exclude the files. No biggie.

FWIW, I hazard to guess that rsync is trying to use rename because you've used --delete (after all rename is essentially the same as a delete after copy).

Just curious, but would it be possible to create something similar to 60 tmpfs partitions and test? I'm not sure what mdadm requires physically.

Also FWIW, 30 doesn't seem... right. Just by guessing from normencalture, I'd think it's 255 or 65,536.

Well, I found this...

This is shown as "Array Slot" by the mdadm v2.x "--examine" command

Note: This is a 32-bit unsigned integer, but the Device-Roles (Positions-in-Array) Area indexes these values using only 16-bit unsigned integers, and reserves the values 0xFFFF as spare and 0xFFFE as faulty, so only 65,534 devices per array are possible.

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_superblock_formats

Just turn off e-mail notifications.

Alternatively you could setup a script with your desired logic on OMV to respond if all is O.K. to your liking. eg. Client: "Hey there sexy!", OMV: "Back at ya!". I mean if you _REALLY_ cared, you would do this anyways. I don't think Spetsnaz is targeting me, but I still have a script to check rsync logs for my pictures.

...make sure to wear your tinfoil hat.

How did he KNOW you have a tinfoil hat!!!! Spies everywhere!!!

Potentially, yes! I was directed to this thread from another where I had inquired about a pending change email I'd gotten. Because I knew I had not changed anything, klaxons and huge flashing red lights started going off in my head. If the system wants changes committed and I haven't made any changes, then I can only assume Very Bad Things are afoot! Good to know that it's benign, but it's very alarming.

That said, I do really like OMV and it's served me well for years now. Keep up the good work & thanks!

The prior context was exclusively for unnoticed mouse clicks. In your case it seems that everything is good. Now when you've found your system reconfigured and you DIDN'T get an email...

don't understand the requirement ECC (which is the limiting factor) because you are building a single user machine with a small RAM size.

ECC comes into play with terabytes of RAM

ECC is not a cure all just like RAID isn't a backup but, ECC is a pinch of prevention just like RAID.

If you're not storing irreplaceable files, ECC is near useless for home NAS users. I'm a active photographer so ECC is taken for granted and I use all the paranoid ECC options.

NOTE: These Ryzen CPU's don't really _SUPPORT_ ECC, they tolerate ECC's single surface capability. So if you want mirroring, scrubbing, etc. they won't do. I really don't know the innards of Ryzen ECC functionality so I don't know if it is CPU or motherboard limitations, but of the 20 or so motherboards I looked at, none of them had configurable ECC options.

This isn't in a rude tone, but if there exists a platter drive you'd think will suffice for home NAS, then CMR or SMR shouldn't be factored. Also, a home NAS with enough RAM can negate nearly all OS writes to platters using virtual drives.

In my opinion, modern large platter drives == "the new tape", although film is probably more reliable in the long run, but definitely not cheaper to store (but to be fair I haven't read a store manual for film in 20 years, so maybe it's better).

Of course, platter drives are also affect by humidity very similar to camera lenses, which is too much == fog/moisture. Granted this is old person voodoo (probably FUD), but if a platter never stops spinning, then moisture can't build up. It something rarely talked about, but not everyone lives in Arizona (in the Philippines it's an absolute concern).

What is that kind of "Game ROM/Audio Jukebox" Project? :D

Greetings

David

It is or was or can be a Ui entirely for kids < 10 that can launch games/music. I finished the Ui in conception of what a kid would use (still needs the meta data junkie stuff for parents), but then back in node when I went to finish it up, I thought to myself what about a kids jukebox?... it's one of those projects.

The string speed of node makes it addicting to write text parsers, but the Ui is still what interests me the most as there seems to be jack shit for kids (really... there's nothing I've seen). From an adults perspective, the Ui makes nearly no sense so I'm proud of it :-).

FWIW, with the GPU you shouldn't need a PCIe 3.0 x16 header, just a x4 header. You might be able to get away with a x1, but if not (and since a x2 doesn't exist), a x4 will work. Even if you use a x4 it might be worth trying an x1 adapter in the x4 to keep lanes open.

I know the Nvidia 1660 Ti works in a x4 for decode/encode. Also, as you seemed to be using a desktop board and want to keep the x16 header for something else (HBA or 10GB), M.2 adapters exist to break out to a x1 or x4.

Here's a 5 pack of M.2 to x4 with the header open (so you don't have to cut it)

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/…art-amp.item.32830559009&