Posts by olduser

I haven't looked at the resources needed, but I'm becoming tired of running _INDIVIDUAL_ RPi's for 3D printers, so has anyone looked into the resources needed?

The NAS I'd use would be a "home" NAS and never sees serious traffic. Admittedly, I've done 0% research on how much/many resources would be needed to host say 4 3D printers simultaneously, but these RPI's got to go (maybe a dedicated machine for this would be better).

There are just a lot of people still bitter

And they'll continue to bitter until you make good on that printed T-Shirt: "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME LEARN!!!!" (in Baby Blue of course).

In all honesty, I choose OMV because it's Debian based, so I know that if I desire, I can fuck it up modify it. If you have a story book in hand, it's hard to justify never learning the story simply because it wasn't read to you.

all of this requires making a lot of changes in docker. That's why people think about it so much.

You mean too much? I don't use Docker anymore besides for Gitea, but I used this script locally and on a VPS to test a different script. Nextcloud seemed straight forward enough for installing, only thing I did further was set a 1 liner to reset it's security.

I found using shell tools to be simpler than using compose, especially if you plan to use text replacement anyways (Gitea's config requires some scraping). FWIW, if all you care about is uploading, you can use a vanilla HTML form with post and forget Nextcloud. If you use something like KDE's Dolphin, you can use FISH:// and forget it all (not sure what a mobile equivalent is though).

While I don't like snaps either, some of them just use docker.

I didn't know that, and that very well might make snap even more confusing.

The entire snap thing seems like some of those old java applets you'd install but yet never really have any control of. That said, a lot of people loved those applet based games (one had a wicked game of Snake).

... could snaps be installed in OMV?

Please no.

The sort of thing I fear with OMV or any software progressing is the unseen changes in how computer behavior is supposed to work for "modern's" sake, and Snap is very dangerous.

Example: it had been some time (~8yrs) since I used an Ubuntu distro and when I installed 20 LTS in the fall, I gave the software center a try and installed Arduino IDE. What I didn't know until I had to add java modules was that it installed in a Snap!! I didn't even know what a snap was, let alone how to configure a "package" which had to have it's system files changed (ie. not in ~/dir). Needless to say, the software center is dead to me.

I don't even understand why anyone would desire snap, especially in the face of Docker. Yet I've seen a tutorial on docker -> snap -> docker... I simply don't understand how someone is rationalizing all this.

This is, truly, the crux of the matter.

I know this will sound rude, but for this EXACT matter, then unless people plan on sitting around their NAS as if it's a campfire, hot plugging USB devices like an ape probing for ants, most of this discussion is irrelevant :-/.

As for the upgrade path, I'm taking that the answer is no. However, I'm more curious of the planned differences between OMV 5 and 6. For example, is 6 a fundamental-might-break things update, or more of a new-flashy-ornaments with a GUI update.

Yes, Piwigo or something similar. The only thing I'd alter is that I'd host Piwigo (or whatever) on a VPS with low res photos because I'm in the USA*. You want to see the pictures anywhere right? If you use Docker from the terminal, setup is identical with the exception of what you do at DuckDNS you'll then do at your registrar.

*USA has slow speeds compared to some/most other places and for ~$50USD annually (hosting+registry), I can move/pass my ISP dependency which even when my cheap VPS is at its slowest, it's still 2x faster than my ISP at its fastest.

This didn't work out for me, but if you have a garden or something similar and you're running a small solar panel...

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=12821

A neat feature in that link is that he's using a large capacitor as a UPS. Anyways, this satisfies the topic of solar+low power NAS control, at least in perspective of through-hole components (I think, depends on how long the communication with this particular device needs to last).

wildernessfamily Did you ever use the NRF24L01 for this application? I'm using an attiny45 with a 433mhz receiver but the receiver always pulls a constant ~3ma even though the tiny in power down is pulling just .5 micro. With a 1/4 antenna the range isn't great either, maybe 15 meters (reliably). So, I was wondering if you used the NRF in power down or standby-1 and what the range & response times were. The only nice thing about the 433 and the attiny is that I really don't need any other components (for my usage at least), but that 3ma is a killer. Anyways, I only need to receive.

I ordered some more off of Ali so I'll find out in a few weeks, but I'm just fishing for good news when using these things at farther non-power hungry modes, as I've only used them in microphones were there just a few meters away and at full tilt.

Sorry but thats the wrong question :(

the actual question is:

I'd say that's the wrong question too. To me it's a question of stability. Sadly there's a ton of reports for all onboard 10gbe chipsets that read like it's a headache. While assembling a small NLE box I started with Ryzen, but due to the lane count I sadly had to switch to Threadripper for NVM and 10gbe (non-onboard). Mobo's with 10gbe onboard really raise the price too, some boards are $200/$300 more just to get it. Considering a decent small 10gbe switch is not even double that, it seems like a no brainer on where to put the money (unless you already have the switch... but then you could put the money towards upgrading the CPU/RAM so...).

FWIW in regards to choosing Ryzen if ECC is desired. Well, using Ryzen's ECC is kind of like running something at under voltage. That is, don't hope for anything more than "ON".

Did the window have to be a certain size? The win:vent looks like 6:1, is there a reason for this in botanical environments?

Also, is there a trick to bending that cage overhead?

Setting up Code::Blocks IDE:

https://www.cprogramming.com/code_blocks/

An actively maintained tutorial on the C++ core foundation (with helpful user comments/?'s at the bottom of each lesson):

https://www.learncpp.com/

A decent math site to learn by example (very little verbage):

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/pre-algebra-calculator

If you want something more interactive to stay interested (ESP/ESP32 oriented, but still simplistically demonstrates the common Arduino API).

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/

A basic how-to on configuring random hardware in Arduino from datasheets using Wire.h (just a companion video for above link... can't find a text tutorial right now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9lZ5Qy5S2s

If you ever ponder the deeper decision of "why" while programming, it's simply because someone long ago decided to go left instead of right, but right was just as valid... so just roll with it.

I don't exactly understand what you mean. Why does the --delete option delete all your .xmp files?

On Windows, for a tmpfs substitute I use something called imdisk (http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/) for working/scratch drives and use mklink to hide the fact that the source is not local. As long as the virtual drive mounts and assigns the same drive letter everything is peachy, but when it doesn't mklink will still work as it's part of the script routine, but rsync won't be looking at what I want it to. In this specific case, it worked at first but during some reboot the drive letters rearranged and rysnc was looking at a mounted CF. I didn't notice and carried on, so needless to say when the virtual drive went away that left me with no existing edits.

Was this my fault? Sure, but since I removed --delete I've never had an error I can't recover from.

Let me add, that the only time you delete photographs is on import and from that point on, you'll never delete anything again. So why have a delete option of any kind in your workflow anywhere?

Pfff... as a photographer, --delete is a nightmare. You want to keep all edits even if the directory or filename has been changed, but with --delete that is simply a no-go and makes --delete 100% useless. Can't tell you how many .xmp's I lost with 1 sync, but it was around 500.

Even worse, if you use Adobe Lightroom it puts the old school file lock on there and *if* you leave Lightroom open rsync can hang (1 of the many reasons I stopped using Lightroom).

I have a tri and 2 amazon 4k firestick's put on each 5. Although I've had both on the same for 4k via netflix and amazon simultaneously and it works fine, but not when the movie is served locally to the firestick and the file is ~50GB, then it buffers/freezes on the same band. Your results may vary with ffmpeg/transcoding though, I just depend on the client and connection.

Being bored, that M.2 header has my curiosity. The webpage mentions there is 2 lanes allocate (1x1 header and LAN), but mentions nothing of the other 4 lanes (neither does the manual). However, the manual for that board specifically states that the M.2 header does not support M.2 SATA and your adapter clearly is using PCIe, so could that M.2 header be PCIe x4 and not just x1? I see nothing else on that board that would HAVE TO take any PCIe lanes. While with that board there is no direct way to physically fit a M.2 to x4 like this one, https://www.aliexpress.com..., but there is ribbons to adapt. At the very least, it would appear that you could run a x4 card at x1 with that adapter and not bother with melting the x1 header.

NOTE: melting the header is quick if you don't try to melt it all at once. Only melt away the outer ~85% then just snap off the remainder, this is surprisingly easy. If you try to melt it all at once, you might melt some plastic into in the landing zone and/or pins (not going to lie, I ruined my first couple this way).

I saw you post that and will check it out. As far as working with the same file structure, I won't be do doing that, at least not if you mean directly working off the source (OMV in my case) filesystem.

This isn't really topic related, but if you start down a more serious road in photography, don't buy into Nikon. If I didn't have so much invested in Nikon glass, I would switch to ANY other camp and be happier.

1. Nikon doesn't care like Nikon zealots think. Nikon rightfully has much more interest in their optics divisions, thus the D850 is the last Nikon product I'll ever buy. They really have substantially bigger profits in all fields but professional photography. I hate them for it, but I understand.

2. Both their F-mount and Z-mount (the newer one) are not friendly with ANY other mount. You'll see 6/8/12/16k video cameras that will have options for just about any mount... but Nikon's mounts are not ones you'll see. There's 3rd party adapters, but all of them lose length and speed because of how they must be designed.

Go for EF, PL, 3/4... anything but Nikon.