Posts by olduser

FWIW, the color space for a TV is probably NTSC while a monitor is probably SRGB, so the colors might be off unless you change the color space in Windows. No matter what the EDID states, you should always try different color spaces first with TV's.

While you've fixed this all up, it can be worth having HDMI repeaters on hand. 1 that doesn't send the EDID and 1 that does. One will stop the TV from trying to read the "correct" EDID and let the TV figure it out, while the other will send a stripped down simple EDID of what the device is sending (not the GPU/computer). Otherwise, you can play with editing EDID's, but I don't know how this works on Windows.

4 on USB? It's possible that if parity has to be reconstructed that all 4 drives will be read from simultaneously and strenuously. Good luck.

The parity is like a backup or it take less space than normal backup with equal amount of data?

It's percentage based, but without a backup it's the best way to ensure integrity. I believe filesystem supported parity versions cannot do more than 100% parity per parity partition (I might be wrong).

There's also a per file version using a similar (possibly identical) recovery matrix here: https://github.com/Parchive/par2cmdline

Note: older/different versions of par2cmdline support more/less options, but I *think* the one at github has the patches applied for certain edge case collisions which older/other versions do have.

Regardless, backup things up.

I might be able to help. Is there "try outs to become an OMV plugin porter/dev" anywhere? Something simple to cut teeth with?

Scheduled jobs would seem to do exactly this

I think someone mentioned that years back when I asked before :-/ In fact I think I used it or something like it on 0.9x (or I didn't because it was too new and not compatible).

There's p7z and the "official" 7zz (from the authors page). I think the official unrar and free/open version extract as well.

By user friendly I guess you mean a HTML based shell? I'm not sure if that exists in baseline OMV.

FWIW, I'd like to see a tutorial on how to edit the HTML GUI to add a custom list element/page to add user defined commands. Nothing crazy, just a little place to define your own scripts to execute through the shell. Last time I looked, it seemed that you'd have to create your own module/plugin.

I'd like to add that IMO it's the clients job to decode, so I don't enter the realm of transcoding. While that is my opinion, it can also be financially more cost effective to attach a capable client (Amazon Firestick etc...) than to pour money into a GPU that transcodes for you. After all, you can buy 10 Amazon Firesticks's (or whatever) for $400, while the prices of GPU's are extremely expensive now (and forever?).

My conclusion is that Truenas is for professional Hardware servers and not for everyone's machine

If the driver brings up the hardware, anything is for anything, it just depends on what else is talking to it (basically protocols).

It sounds like you want to transcode (mainly) so I'd suggest a fast GPU that can do that and anything with a PCIe 2.0+ x1 (you just need 1 lane for this like cryptominers). If you use a newer GPU, you can use mobo's back to PCIe 2.0 spec (1.0 is iffy and dependent on your 4k content). You could use a NAS for this in the same way you can put streamers on handlebars, but what you should be focusing on is the $$$ of that GPU :-/.

....ARM based ones (such as Pi's) typically use less power...

"typically" is the keyword and I've seen the atypical with OpenCV.

If the task is heavy in linear computations, ARM might use more power simply by taking longer than a x86/x64. I'm not "in the know" on the technical architectural design, but it might be worth measuring a Pi if you encode video at full/unrestricted settings, use ZFS, Ai recognition, etc. A company will design a very specific RISC based ARM for a very specific task to overcome this, but I'm not sure if the Pi itself is great at any one thing (which I guess is where the RPi "Compute" comes in).

Maybe turn it on it's side to stop the dust...?

While I think I've stated this a 1000 times, don't forget you can run pretty much anything under OMV as it's Debian based. The OMV literature does seem to sweep right past this and get to what it offers itself, rightfully, but being Debian based is a huge plus (makes OMV a clear leader IMO).

The Docker section here is a testimony to being Debian based. There's just a ton of crap in there. I don't mean that negatively, I simply mean there's a TON OF crap in there. I've seen things from athletic stuff, phone phreaking (apparently), game servering... just a ton of stuff and this is just a NAS site.

This sounds more like a blackbox than a NAS, are you sure you want to use OMV for this? I've never built a blackbox, but I know there are dedicated kernels out there for this that won't come with the overhead of any NAS distro.

If you want a full blown OS, I wouldn't recommend Tails anymore, but maybe check OS distros that are similar. However to me, it sounds like you want a very small kernel (doesn't sound like you want a GUI of any kind).

1.5 hours _EVERY_ time? Not sure how Syncthing works, but that sounds horribly inefficient.

As far as staying with an SBC, I think RPi4 kind of caps out of the potential so good luck if you stay with SBC. If not, a lot people buy a used HP microserver for around your price target ($150usd seems to be the average selling bid price on ebay).

please revise this page, not sure that mini pci works for other than a wifi card: https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t620/

If it's anything like an old Shuttle PC I had it might have to be disabled in the BIOS _first_ or else it won't POST. Even if it does work, I'm doubting it's anything more than a x1 (3.0 in this case), but that wouldn't be bad for platter drives I guess. I put a USB 3.0 controller in the Shuttle's and it worked (with an adapter off of Alibaba).

Would be nice to hear from the OP on this and I'm wondering what type of ECC options that board has (if any). Seems like a cheap capable board.

... Nowadays people use apps for business. One of them is phone call recorder which is good for recording income calls from clients. Its easily turn own phone conversations into handy voice notes for later use.

What the hell... ... ? Which topic are we on now?

I'll probably get banned/warned/etc.... but....

We need a derailleur icon/emoji (Shimano, SRAM, Campy, etc...)

Or maybe a train track switcher thing... "hey we're headed this way now".

Or maybe a truckers weigh station thing... "time to pull off"

Logically, this could go many ways (it's harder than I thought to envision what this icon should appropriately be).

When I recorded cartoons 15+ years ago, more then one capture device required more RAM than anything. Next was dedicated drives to not fall behind (or even more RAM was required) then CPU power.

Granted I was using HuffYUV and I'm not sure of your setup, but you might want to keep this separate from a NAS for anything but backup if you're capturing more than one stream. I recorded 4 streams simultaneously at 525/29.96fps and doing that on a NAS would put it at full tilt 24/7.

have some skills in developing+money

Horrible answer... but comical :-)

Just find something you want to use yourself and just make that.

Fail at as many of your interests as you can to discover what you either can't do or don't like after all.

Since this thread is off the rails I'm going to state that fear and fear alone has stopped me from trying my hand at stage acting. Nothing worse than looking back AND still not knowing :-(

Yeh, there's a Docker for all of them it seems, I'm just not sure if the hardware needed to run concurrent jobs and there doesn't appear to be much info (everything I've read is about dedicating 1 machine to 1 printer). I'll have to dip a little into this and stop being lazy (or scared that a 12 hour print will go bad).