Posts by olduser

Where is the OS image for this on the homepage? The image existed a couple months back but now the download page and other pages are empty for me.

I'm looking for an album style holder for NVME drives. Something like the books of resistor you can buy, but for nvme. I have a couple dozen 500GB/1TB nvme's disks with backups of pictures etc. but I'd like to store them all in a single container.

You stated "Gpart tool to reduce the size as the real data used on the 1TB"... did you commit these changes? Is the new, resized source partition 500GB? You're screenshots say otherwise.

According to clonezilla (here), if the partition is smaller then you need the -r switch and maybe the -icds. At the bottom of that page, it states that the -k1 switch includes the -r switch and will "create the partition table proportionally", but I'm not sure how that behaves if the target already has a partition table.

If you're sure that the source is resized to 500GB, then this should all work.

FWIW, you could simply create a new partition and FS on the new target ssd drive and copy the data over with dd or rsync. Then, all you would be left with is copying the MBR or installing GRUB.

"...the 2nd time it failed at about 96%"

O.K., your screenshots show these sizes:

894.3 / 931.5 = 0.960064412 ( 96% ) ... there's gotta be a clue here :-/

NOTE: If you have a 500GB partition for sure and try clone zilla again, I wouldn't use the -k1 switch. I'm guessing somewhere clonezilla always checks the drive size and since you have a difference of .04, that could round down and you might be left with a divide by 0 error (possibly causing a segfault or what not). It might not matter (hopefully) but, I'm older and believe in such black magic.

What is "media"?

Is "media" in multiple directories? ie. internal storage and SD card.

Will the transfers be exclusively 1 way, phone to NAS?

Here's a question, by default does OMV auto mount or use MTP, PTP, etc. or do you need to install mtp-tools (or whatever)?

For music on a old phone I used to have a script poll for 2 different directories for copy/sync. While you won't be able to see/select, this is very simple if all you want to do is copy/overwrite newer/different files. However, getting it to (auto)mount so I could use /a/sane/path in the script did require a fuse derivative to mount the disks. If I remember correctly, it's MTP that does not share a typical filesystem with the host.

Is your IP changing or some other network details changing?

Is the mount point changing? ie. instead of /dev/sda6, it's now /dev/sdb1 (or whatever)

When I copy just the Docker volumes with the config files everything is the same EXCEPT where I need to appropriately reconfigure network details.

If you've had success all the way to the point where Docker runs but you only need to reconfigure addressing, then it sounds like the mount points are matching correctly both locally and virtually, which probably means you're duplication/cloning/copying process worked successfully (or enough for what you'd want at least).

This is probably a Plex issue or a decoder issue. 100*60*90 = ~540 gigs for a 90 minute movie, 1/2 a terabyte for a movie...?

I'm not sure about your player or your system environment, but if you can wait ~3 seconds you can cache 300MB then use a named pipe, but that's dependent on the player. Mplayer derivatives can do it (SMPlayer, MPlayer, etc.). This isn't exactly straight forward though as it might be something like 2 named pipes, 1 to read from and another to update/replace the chunked file via cat or ffmpeg or something. If you're interested, look into how live streams start with inserting black frames then fade to the live stream (it's probably exactly the same). I did it years ago capturing cartoons with HUFFYUV to feed into FFMPEG, so researching "capturing" might also be useful.

Not sure now, but back when VideoLan was still VLC + VLS, VLS could cache up to 512 MB, that might still be an option.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the pictures.

I was hoping the headers could be inverted (towards inwards) but they seem directly soldered. _IF_ the plan is to put a RPI device on 1 side of that case and the backplane is removed, it appears possible to cram all excess wiring into the other side.

Thanks for the link to it as it appears to be a model that most people find sturdier.

The suggestion of vim is the best answer unless you want to go all-in with emacs (emacs is zero sum).

For GUI: Code::Blocks

VS Code is more of a text editor and depending on your typing speed and renderer it might not be great (it's laggy). I use both. Code::Blocks for everything but espressif's esp library for which I use vscode (in C::B, esp debugging is a multi-process).

Sadly, both are bad if you're using dual displays. However, if you never close C::B the debugging windows will appear on the 2nd monitor appropriately, but soon as you close C::B they're don't always hold, I'm told it's a wxWidgets limitation (but it doesn't seem to be as I've compiled the window demo and it worked there :-/). None the less, that's more than VS code, as vscode doesn't really have any GUI options since it's electron based (the best it can do is open another vscode instance :-/).

While C::B is all around better in my opinion (assuming MS Studio as reference), I will say that in vscode it's easier to setup a remote debugging instance (although it can be done in C::B, it's just more complicated/confusing). For example in vscode, if you're using node, you simply start node in the terminal then use the drop down to attach to the process.... so that's nice/easier.

Better not in my case. My OMV runs...

Sorry, I thought you had an interest in this.

Does anyone know the lifetime writes of the eMMC on the CM4? While I need a 8GB RAM+WiFi version (nothing on rpilocator.com yet), the software I will run on it might/probably will require a lot of writes. I've read NVMe can be used too.

I'm afraid that corruption will happen too often. All of my usages in this realm have been with STMXX/ESPXX/Mega/etc. and the EEPROM's don't last long there so I'm wondering about MMC in general, especially with a full on "computer" (or at least a "SBC").

EDIT: Can you run sqlite in WAL without worry or is in :MEMORY: or some tmpfs approach mandatory?