Posts by ellnic

There are 2 types of ban.

Editing a post relatively quickly only gets you a temporary ban IIRC, but the permanent ban caused by the Tapatalk is something to do with quoting a post. Tapatalk freaks at something and repeats the post. I am not entirely sure but have had reasonable success replicating this.

The forums antispam filter gives you a three strike policy. Your post is one, one quote makes it 2 (ie. Tapatalk will post twice). If you quote 2 or more times in a post it will make 3 or more attempts and results in a ban because it believes you are a pharmaceutical bot etc.

This problem does not occur in Android or via web (temp bans still occur for editing too quickly) but the main problem is the iOS app freaking at something specific to it’s code that disagrees with this forums antispam plugin. The Tapatalk guys originally thought it was just the forum being too trigger happy (and it’s true that it really is) but that doesn’t explain by the problem does not occur on Android or via web. It’s only iOS.

I haven’t had any response from the Tapatalk team in ages about this, I will bump the thread. I would advise those affected by it to make your voices heard. https://www.tapatalk.com/group…burning-board-t39820.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You CAN have OMV 4 and 32bit.

Download this: https://cdimage.debian.org/deb…an-9.5.0-i386-netinst.iso

Install without a desktop environment.

After install, fix your Grub options as you described then login as root or your user and gain root privs.

Then follow this: https://openmediavault.readthe…stallation/on_debian.html from the section Debian 9 (Stretch)

This will give you a 32bit install of OMV4.

Job done. :-)

To fix the GUI etc on your present install, use the omv-firstaid command.

SSH is off by default IIRC.

Also, I’m pretty sure it’s still possible to install the latest version in 32bit by installing Debian first then adding OMV repos and installing afterwards. When 32bit support in the prebuilt ISOs was dropped, I seem to remember this being mentioned.

@votdev is this still the case? Can OMV be installed on top of a Debian 9 32bit system using the usual instructions at https://openmediavault.readthe…stallation/on_debian.html ?

You can either:

Scan the usual threads to see if someone has tried and it works - probably hoppel :-)

Or

Go for it when you have a few minutes and it’s not mission critical to be up and running (in case it doesn’t work). Remember not to auto remove the old kernel and, if you find it doesn’t work, revert.

Personally I prefer the former. But I also don’t upgrade the kernel too often on my critical systems. I totally get wanting to be as up to date as possible, but this is Debian, not Arch or Gentoo. Unless you really need a certain fix or feature in x kernel version, the rest of the system will work just fine without it being the latest and greatest. It’s more important that your data is available. It’s the apps that provide the majority of the functionality. Unless you’re using something like a particular TV tuner or other peripheral or filesystem that will definitely benefit from the newer kernel or that kernel brings significant performance gains or bug fixes - do you really need it?

My stretch boxes are on 4.16 at the moment and my bionic boxes are on 4.15. All is well :-)

With all that said, newer is better :-P just check the forums or post and ask. You’ll know soon enough if you can unhold and upgrade.

You should really consider holding the kernel too once you’re all sorted and up and running again. Either use the GUI modifications that ryecoaaron added to the apt tool plugin or:

Code
    apt-mark hold linux-image-amd64 linux-headers-amd64

Then the kernel won’t upgrade until you unhold it.

True. But I think this is particularly confusing because users who run OMV and ZFS may eventually find themselves using the ZFS tools in the CLI and there is a mismatch between the way they each display sizes. At least if you moved from Win to Linux you don’t have 2 different figures staring at you. But then I suppose one could also argue that if you’re using the command line and the ZFS tools in the terminal then you should probably notice that one is TB and one is TiB. Took me a second to spot it... but then I don’t use the plugin to manage my pools. I use it so my pools are available as shares. :-)

Another possibility is to have a 2nd Pi with the backup drive and use something like Syncthing. You can have this on the same lan or somewhere else. This is probably one of the easiest ways to transmit data between two locations - and what I mean by this is that the setup is very simple and the security concerns around Syncthing’s data port are next to zero. Yes, there’s SSH (with keys), rsync and cron, but Syncthing is easier out the box. Separate power supply, separate location etc etc. I have offsite backups in this fashion because if there’s a house fire all I’m taking is my family and animals. I have my data in various other locations. So for an extra ~£40 for a Pi, case and PSU you can have automated versioned offsite backups with a nice GUI to configure it all. :-)

If you copy from another machine via a share, it will always do a network copy. This is because the data comes out to the machine you are using, then back to the share and is inherently inefficient. This happens because the machine that is copying has no idea where the shares are located and sees them as two entirely separate drives regardless of where they actually are. The reason that it’s instant within the same share is because (unless you’ve done some stuff with symlinks/shortcuts) the data is more or less guaranteed to be on the same partition within the drive just like a USB drive for example. Whilst it’s inefficient, you can do it without issue - it will just take longer. A better way would be to login to the server and copy via SSH. So the network copy thing is by design (or rather, unavoidable).

However, it definitely shouldn’t happen with internal stuff too like Sickrage - providing that the files are located within the same partition. If the server is just moving a file from within a partition to another folder in that partition, it should be instant. So it’s probably one of two things:

1. Sickrage’s data is on the OS drive and not the data drive (which of course will result in a copy when it completes and moves files): check the location of Sickrage’s data

Or

2. A permissions problem: I would check that your permissions are correct for each of the shared folders and that Sickrage user is able to access them.

Thanks for posting back with the solution. :-)

I’ve been caught out with an incorrectly set clock in the past. Not with this particular thing, but another certificate related issue. It took me a good 20 mins of swearing at it and scratching my head before I twigged. I think it’s one of those things that we don’t immediately think of because most of the time, if we are connected to the net, a time server usually fixes the issue before it occurs. Nevertheless, it obviously still happens.