Posts by The Budger

Thanks a lot, I have installed syncthing on OMV5 and it's running!

I have one more question for you.

I have installed syncthing via ssh logged as "root" and then I have run it via ssh as "user".

But after reboot of OMV5 syncthing doesn't restart and every time I have to log in as "user" via ssh and run it.

Is there a way to restart syncthing automatically after an OMV5 reboot?

OMV4 run syncthing like an Extras and worked very well, but now isn't available for OMV5 extras.

I have several problems to run syncthing on OMV5 and Portainer, access problems.

Can someone suggest me an alternative?

I need a software that run on OMV5 and android mobile phones that synchronize folder from mobile to OMV5.

Can anyone help me?

Today I have try another solution.

I set ACL permissions to the sync folder, owner user "docker".

Nothing as changed, always same error:"Failed to create folder root directory mkdir".

So, this is the summary:

Syncthing settings folder: var/lib/syncthing is correctly created by Portainer and has user "docker" owner, no problem on this folder.

Syncthing sync folder: srv/dev-disk-by-label-test/Cloud is created with root owner and rwx permissions to all users and groups, but syncthing web gui show this error:"Failed to create folder root directory mkdir".

Also changing ACL permissions and settings "docker" like owner, same error.

I gooogled a lot but I have always same problem and lots of people has it. Most of them abandon Syncthing, but I want to try another week.

I have one doubt. What is the correct "PGID number" that I have to put in the container?

gid=001(users)?

groups=001(users)?

002(root)?

003(docker)?

001 or 002 or 003 ?

is on your root file system, where your user probably has no write access (which is good in general)

so you need to move it to one of your other file systems / drives where your user has access

something like

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-xxxx/yyyy

Thank you macom for your reply, I have already written in my previsious post that Syncthing has access problems to external drives, that is also the problem that had the author of this thread.

I'm not very good to write in english, probably this is the problem and I'm sorry.

I have no problem to the config directory "/var/lib/syncthing" that can be written, created,etc.

This is "ls -l" result for the folder "/var/lib/syncthing": drwx------ 4 docker users

The problem is the "Sync" directory, "data1" for the container.

If I put it in the external drive "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-test/Cloud" this is the message: "Failed to create folder root directory mkdir"

This is "ls -l" result for the folder "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-test/Cloud" : drwxrwxrwx 1 root root

So I try to create also Sync folder on micro sd: "/var/lib/syncthing/Sync", but this is the message: "Failed to create folder marker: mkdir /config/Sync/.stfolder"This is "ls -l" result for the folder "/var/lib/syncthing/Sync" : drwxr-xr-x 2 root root

User "docker" is in this group: users, docker, root, sambashare adm.

Add new information .

Has i have already written container create correctly config folder on microsd "/var/lib/syncthing" and write on it.

So I try to create also Sync folder on micro sd: "/var/lib/syncthing/Sync", but this is the message: "Failed to create folder marker: mkdir /config/Sync/.stfolder"

Seems that container has access problem only for Sync folder.

I'm using this stack:

---

version: "2.1"

services:

syncthing:

image: linuxserver/syncthing

container_name: syncthing

environment:

- PUID=userUID

- PGID=userGID

- TZ=Europe/London

- UMASK_SET=022

volumes:

- /var/lib/syncthing:/config

- /var/lib/syncthing/Sync:/data1

ports:

- 8384:8384

- 22000:22000

- 21027:21027/udp

restart: unless-stopped

I have permissions problems.

I can't sync message is "Failed to create folder root directory mkdir".

I have followed this instructions, but I have still the problem.

Syncthing create a folder inside raspberry microsd for the "config" files that has correct owner: user "docker" and write on it correctly.

But when I select the storage folder that is a USB hardisk: "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-test/Cloud" this is the message: "Failed to create folder root directory mkdir".

This is "ls -l" result for the USB folder : drwxrwxrwx 1 root root

User "docker" is in this group: users, docker, root, sambashare adm.

I have one doubt. What is the correct PGID that I have to put in the container?

I always put "gid (users)" Is it correct?

After days reading and reading I have to apologize.

Docker is a big opportunity and learn about it is very important and useful.

Thanks to Johnvick, Macom and topi for the suggestion and for answered me on this thread.

Line 13 "/var/lib/docker" Is it correct?

Line 14 and 15 ???

Syncthing is installed on my mobile phone and in my "pi OMV4" to back up photo to mobile phone to an hardisk.

But there's e webgui to select the path for the mobile phone and a path for the NAS and also to "register" mobile phone and NAS.

Where is web gui? Is impossible to setup syncthing without web gui.

Line 13 14 15 what is it?

I have installed Docker and Portainer.

But I'm not able to install syncthing container.

Add container, add image: "syncthing/syncthing" afert this I go to dash board, container and click RUN, but after starting result is "Stopped".

I have left all settings to default.

Anyone can help me please?

So I need to study Docker and also Portainer!

Wow! 😭

Common users probably will leave OMV5.

Extras was the "power" of OMV for common users, no Extras no common users.

Next days I'll try to take time to study Docker and Portainer, but probably I'll try other alternative to Syncthing or I'll leave my OMV4 NAS alive forever.

I have seen some videos from the guides, but it's absolutely not easy to understand how to set up Docker.

I have understood that you need to create some folders, config, etc

Is there a guide to set up docker? 😥

I'm upgrading my old pi with OMV4 to OMV5, but syncthing isn't on the OMVextras.

How I can install it?

I have read something about Docker, but I'm a novice on it.

Is there a way to install it without Docker?

Is docker the best way?

Ryecoaaron thank you very much for answered me.

So, in the near future, when a new (and not desktop) version of raspberry pi 64bit OS will be available also OMV5 running on 8gigabyte Raspberry pi will use all the RAM.

Buy now a 8 Gygabyte Ram is always a good idea... I Think...