Beiträge von STUKguy

This should not be related to adding the non-free repo.

mount / -o remount,rw to get you file system back and then check what caused the issue.

I ended up hard resetting it seems to be back to normal now, is there anything i should check before i carry on?

This becomes:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free

i did as you said

and i have been stuck on this for 10 minutes

You were already instructed on the Ralink forum on how to solve it (although it's for Debian 10, reason why it worked on OMV5).

MediaTek 802.11ac USB Wi-Fi Linux Driver Installation - Kuan-Yi Li's Blog (abysm.org)

Yeah i tried that and replied advising this is what i get

Code
    root@mine2:/home/liton# sudo apt install firmware-misc-nonfree
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Package firmware-misc-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'firmware-misc-nonfree' has no installation candidate
    root@mine2:/home/liton#

Google search lead me to finding out that i need to add non-free to my source list, which is where i get stuck

My source list looks like this

I also found this guide https://unix.stackexchange.com…age-from-debian-backports but i'm still not sure where i need to add what, that's why i asked here

You can try the non-free firmware ISO for Debian to test it, although old hardware should be recognized in full:

Index of /cdimage/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware (debian.org)

Or maybe this has nothing to do with what you want...

I have a Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7610U ("Archer T2U" 2.4G+5G WLAN Adapter on one of my machines and from what i have found i need to install or add a non free source list to my debain, im just hoping someone can explain in simpleton terms how i do this.

I know the default sources that OMV has, as for non-free drivers... I don't need them so I probably won't be able to answer your question.

Think i might do the same for the RealVNC issue, i have just finished building and old laptop the same as i have the other machine but i didnt have the screen issues.

It looks like your resolution is out of range I'm not that familiar. If you maximize that window, do you see any indications there's a panel somewhere? Not sure how it would work over VNC, but also on most distributions, hitting the "Windows" key on your keyboard, will bring up whatever menu your system has..

If you right click/left click/mouse wheel click the desktop, are you getting some menus by chance?

That is the window maximized, nothing comes up on the screen. Clicking does nothing. I'm not even sure what to search for online? if i plug the monito back in everything is fine but once i unplug it i get this.

KM0201 & Zoki Me again, thought that was tooo easy. So got everything i need set up on the machine and then unplugged the monitor and keyboard and put the machine into it temp location (will be moving it off site soon) i just plugged in the power and network cable and tried to connect using RealVNC and this is all i got

This is after a reboot and also adjusting the res in RealVNC viewer, After reboot the log in window appears I type in the user name and password hit enter and the screen above appears and that's it.

Any ideas?

KM0201 & Zoki Thank you both it seems to be working now :D for some reason rebooting the machine seem to fix it (another issue has come to light but i will look into that later) thank you. I would offer you cake and cookies as a thank you but you are a bit far

And now my Debian PC has another problem with it, start the machine it will get to the log in screen wait about 30 seconds and then shutdown. I'm going to rebuild now

KM0201 & Zoki Hey both this is going to be a long post sorry

KM0201 - i tried "apt install sudo" but it was already installed, I'm not using Ubuntu server or OMV, i am just looking to install RealVNC on Debian 11.

Here are the steps i have taken based on the guide https://techviewleo.com/config…ver-and-client-on-debian/ (Step 2) this is a fresh install of Debian 11

Logged in as SU and downloaded RealVNC

Then installed RealVNC, my output is different to the one shown on the guide

Started the services

Installed lightDM

Rebooted PC

After reboot, this i had to do from the machine it self, but before i logged off SSH i ran "usermod -aG sudo liton" just to make sure my user was added to the sudo list

and my normal user is not on the sudo list?

these are the photos from my Debian PC

When i log in i get this

set up password and then go to next screen

i click next here

then click on apply

and it asks for the password to the user liton, which from the image further up cant use sudo

I ran apt install sudo just to make sure sudo was installed

Code
    root@mine2:/home/liton# apt install sudo
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    sudo is already the newest version (1.9.5p2-3).
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    root@mine2:/home/liton#

I am only using this guide as i couldn't find any others that would install RealVNC most of the guides were for TigerVNC or UltraVNC, all i want is like Raspbian OS when i log into VNC i get the Raspbian desktop but in this case the Debian desktop, i am happy to install TigerVNC or UltraVNC but i'm not sure if i can connect them to my RealVNC account and use them away from the my main machine.

Well that means one of two things (most likely) your user is not in the sudo group... or, you don't have sudo even installed (I seem to recall OMV does not install sudo by default on amd64.. maybe it does on sbc's)

Become root and apt install sudo to make sure sudo is installed, and assuming it is, make sure your user is in the sudo group.

When I made my last post I ran the following command as SU because I assumed the user was not in the sudo group

usermod -aG sudo liton

But I could not get it to still run, when I get home I will run what you said, so log in as SU and run "apt install sudo" and then check if it worked for RealVNC

what would work on raspbian which does not on Debian x64 if it is not related to the pi hardware like gpio?

Its probably something simple, but i am using Debian 11 and trying to install RealVNC using this guide https://techviewleo.com/config…ver-and-client-on-debian/ but when i get to the section about setting up VNC server it keeps asking me for a admin password but loading my non admin profile and wont let me swap to a SU. That's why i was asking if a 64bit version of Raspbian OS for the PC exists as RealVNC comes preinstalled on it. I'm only using RealVNC as i already have an account with them

KM0201 do you know if there is a Raspbian OS 64bit is available for a desktop pc? i managed to get what i needed set up on my PI but i also have a dell machine if i could install Raspbian on it, it would make things go very smoothly

Well, again I don't really know what guides your following... If you install docker on ubuntu, and then install Portainer in docker... Well now all you have to do is use Stacks in Portainer to deploy docker-compose files. This would be the same across any OS.

I'm curious,, what is your issue with OMV, and what do you think going to Ubuntu or Raspbian will solve (or do you just want an OS w/ a desktop?)

I have no issues with OMV I think it's one of the best things I have come across in long time just not sure if it would fit what I want to try and do

What I'm looking to do is basically I have a quad core pc which is just sitting around doing nothing not even powered on. What my idea was to install a Linux OS and use the PC for low level mining but also install a docker/container for passive income via selling unused bandwidth. I have access to my uncles property which he only uses a few month out of the year but he still pays all the bills including electricity and Internet I explained it all to him and he was happy for me to try it out and see what happens and not charge me anything.

I know it sounds like a lot of work for possibly little to no chance of success but then all I have to lose is my time so I thought why not also I get to learn a bit about Linux and docker.

I sound crazy don't I?

Really, docker is docker. Once you install it and do some basic setting up your docker paths... containers should more or less install the same cross platform. My issue w/ Ubuntu Server nowadays... is snaps. I was messing with a VM a while ago and it seemed like snaps was almost the default for everything. If I was going to do some sort of sandboxing like that, I'd probably prefer flatpak, but that's another issue. I'm just not a fan but the Ubuntu team seems to have fallen head over heels in love with them. I hope Debian doesn't follow course.

If I'm going to sandbox apps, I'd rather use docker, podman, etc.

I haven't completely decided on which I want to use either Ubuntu or Raspbian. The main issue I am having is I am so used to OMV docker layout and simplicity and because there are so many guides/people who go through making a container in docker/omv but when I look for docker guide in Ubuntu or Linux I'm not finding it as simple. I'm going to try the guide macom linked and see how I get on.

If you are going to say that everything you found wasn't useful, you should post a complete list of those things so that others don't point you back to the very same things again.

Maybe docker is something that just isn't for you?

Or maybe you should take your unhelpful self somewhere else, and let someone who wants to help actually help whilst I'm at it what is your point of commenting other than showing how much of enlightened douche you are?