Posts by 0rtega

Yes, it has different sizes. My ex-NasLite box has:
    -4 x 2tb drives
    -2 x 1.5tb drives
    -1 x 1tb drive
    -1 x 250gb drive for the OS (OMV)
    For the aufs settings, I have left all to default. (Now I can't access the OMV box, but i think that the mfs box default is NOT checked).
    The last time, it was filled one of the 2tb drives.
    I have uninstalled the aufs plugin and I could access the data again. After the 4 OMV reinstallations I haven't lost any data, only this problem with aufs.

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

aufs presents NO danger. The worst thing aufs can do is fill one drive before the other.

I have reinstalled OMV 3 or 4 times because I didn't understood how aufs works.
    A couple of times it filled a single HD while in the others drives of the pool there was plenty of space.
    Can you help me (us) to configure aufs with a "recommended" setting ?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote from "mbourd25"

Hi gang, no one can help me try to figure out why everytime I download a file using transmission, I can't delete it with my user access even when my user is part of the debian-transmission group?

Thanks.

Here the solution.
    I have followed the instructions and works well for me.

On my Synology nas it wasn't exactly a raid 5, it was a Hybrid raid http://forum.synology.com/wiki…s_Synology_Hybrid_RAID%3F
    To recover my data my only hope was to install the drives in another synology nas, or using a pricey recovery software.
    Luckily my XPEnology "trick" worked, and now i can recover all the data.
    I will never use again a proprietary raid or similar software.
    From SnapRaid site: It doesn't lock-in your data. You can stop using SnapRAID at any time without the need to reformat or move data.
    Now I have understood that for my everyday use this feature is essential. A really big thank you to OMV team and to Andrea Mazzoleni, the author of SnapRaid :D

I have to tell it to somebody.
    Tomorrow my new drives will be delivered to me, and today my old Synology nas (after 5 years 24/7 always up) died on me...
    Yes, I have "almost" a full backup, but a lot of data is not backed up.
    The PSU died or the nas mobo. Naturally the psu is not replaceable (impossible to find here in Italy), I have found 1 (one!) possible psu replacement on ebay usa, but the price is insane.
    Even with this bad luck, thanks to my "research" in the past months, here in the OMV forum and in the XPEnology forum I was able to recover the 4 drives raid 5 with a XPEnology "experimental" version boot usb stick.
    Tomorrow as soon as the drives arrive I will backup all the data on my new OMV box and I will NEVER AGAIN install a raid5 configuration. I will always use a single drives configuration (with snapraid and aufs), and if something will blow up (mobo, psu, drives, cpu, nic or whatever) I will be able to simple plug the drives in a new, simple, standard pc, install OMV and start work again in no time.
    Lesson learned.

Just a little guide for use of SystemRescueCD in a headless machine.
    I had problems booting the SystemRescueCD usb stick with my new OMV box because of the Uefi bios, so I thought that this can help someone else in the same condition.
    -install SystemRescueCD on a usb stick as explained here
    -in the usb stick just installed go in the directory \boot\grub\
    -in this subdirectory should be this file: grub-410.cfg (the number can change depending on the version of SystemRescueCD)
    -edit this file, and replace all the strings "/isolinux/" with "/syslinux/"
    -to configure the ssh server and the vnc server change one line in this way:
    from this:

Code
    menuentry "SystemRescueCd (64bit, default boot options)" {
    set gfxpayload=keep
    linux /syslinux/rescue64
    initrd /syslinux/initram.igz

to this:

Code
    menuentry "SystemRescueCd (64bit, default boot options)" {
    set gfxpayload=keep
    linux /syslinux/rescue64 setkmap=it rootpass=yourpass vncserver=1:yourpass
    initrd /syslinux/initram.igz

important!: the password of the vncserver must be of 6 to 8 characters
    I have setup the keyboard keymap to italian keyboard (setkmap=it), you can use your own keymap changing the "it" to your keymap code.

now you can access to the headless machine via ssh, and via vncviewer.
    for the ssh connect to (for example) 192.168.1.10:22
    for the vncviewer connect to the machine ip address port 5901, for example: 192.168.1.10:5901

here a couple of links with more infos:
    http://www.sysresccd.org/news/…t-options-with-042-beta8/
    http://www.sysresccd.org/news/…remotely-with-vnc-server/

"Fully up to date", yes it was :D
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I should have known.
    Well, now it works and I'm happy with it, when Kralizec will be ready I will surely upgrade this backup server.
    With OMV installed is really much flexible than with NasLite, I should have try OMV on this machine a long time ago.
    Thanks again for your support, thanks to the others developers/moderators and to Volker for this great software and this forum.

Thanks to your advice, now it works again.
    I have disabled in the bios c3/c6 c1 states and other things.
    Booting up it gives the same error about the nic "...agent aborted loading...", but instead of freezing, now it completes the boot normally with the final login prompt and a working network.
    Is really an obscure error "pch poison interrupt"...

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

Was the system fulling up to date before all of this?

Is embarassing but i don't understand the phrase "fulling up to date"... I have tried the google translator but it gives out a nonsense sentence :oops:

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

Probably will have to chroot into the system to fix it.

It's still necessary to chroot ?

Thanks again.

Yes I turn it off and turn it on.
    I was having strange behaviour yesterday, when I was running a cronjob in the webgui.
    This .sh script executed 3 commands:
    -lftp mirror from my old nas
    -snapraid sync
    -poweroff

The system turned it off, but a bit later it was turned on again (without my intervention).
    I can try to disable in the bios anything related to the "power state".

Thank you for your advice. I will try the setting asap.

p.s.: the strange thing is that booting with the parted magic usb stick i can connect to it via ssh and vnc, mount all the drives, copy files fron one to another with mc or the gui file manager (via vnc).

Yes, all the drives were mounted in OMV web interface.

I have:
    -shutdown OMV box
    -booted with PartedMagic usb stick
    -converted the filesystem
    -modified the fstab (changed the string "ext3" to "ext4")
    -booted OMV
    -the filesystem was readable and mounted (tested all the data)
    -then, in the webgui i have choosen, "reboot" from the menu
    -got the error in the picture.

I don't know if I made something wrong with my new installation of OMV, but it won't boot anymore. I think is a problem with the NIC.
    When I boot with the PartedMagic Usb stick, I can use Vnc and control the machine (so the Nic works... maybe the conf that is broken).

I have downloaded using partedmagic to access the drives of my new OMV box these two logs (from /var/log), hoping they could be usefull to debug the problem.

dmesg:
    http://pastebin.com/uSiKBUys

boot

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Edit: Here a screenshot of the error i got http://imgur.com/92CX7SA

I have converted my NasLite box to OMV using my old HDs formatted in ext3.

After configuring all the services, I have converted the drives from ext3 to ext4.
    Here the steps i made:
    -booted with PartedMagic Usb stick
    -with GParted I have relabeled the 6 drives (they was all labeled with the same text string, making impossible to understand who was who)
    -in a terminal I have issued the command (for example for sdb1):

Code
    tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/sdb1

then

Code
    e2fsck -fDC0 /dev/sdb1

Here the instructions I found

-in the terminal i have modified the /etc/fstab file (for example for sdb1):
    before
    UUID=9e243565-16cd-4a6f-bc39-33fe98d33f55 /media/9e243565-16cd-4a6f-bc39-33fe98d33f55 ext3 defaults,nofail,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2
    after
    UUID=9e243565-16cd-4a6f-bc39-33fe98d33f55 /media/9e243565-16cd-4a6f-bc39-33fe98d33f55 ext4 defaults,nofail,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2
    -shutdown the system
    -reboot in OMV and the drives in "Filesystem" should read now "Ext4" instead of "Ext3"

p.s.: if you modify the /etc/fstab from OMV just issue the command (only after you have modified the /etc/fstab file):

Code
    mount -a

Never again.
    I had to uninstall all the plugin (losing all the settings), several reboots and in the end there is a shared folder that is not possible to delete.
    Really, never again. A lot easier to format all and reinstall, or simply remove the disks and modify by hand the omv config .xml file.

I'm testing OMV with 3 old refurbished hard drives, now I have ordered new HDs to start the transition from my old NAS to the OMV box.
    Now i need to remove the 3 test hds. My aim is to avoid the "missing filesystem" error.

I have installed Aufs for pooling and SnapRaid for data protection.

1) remove the aufs bind share in the web gui
    2) in snapraid webgui push the "reset" button to remove the snapraid configuration
    3) in the ftp webgui remove the shared folder and uncheck the "enable" service checkbox
    4) in the smb/cifs webgui remove the shared folder, and uncheck the "enable" service checkbox
    5) in the webgui "shared folder" remove all the shared folder defined on the system
    6) in the "file systems" webgui use the "delete" button (this is even possible once the shared folders are deleted and all services are disabled ???)

There are other steps to make for removing the old 3 hds and installing the new ones ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

I have written a very simple scripts for sync, scrub and check for Snapraid:

Here an example:

Bash
    #!/bin/bash
    dove="/var/log/snapraid.log"
    echo ................................................................................................................................................ >> $dove
    echo . >> $dove
    date >> $dove
    echo . >> $dove
    echo ................................................................................................................................................ >> $dove
    snapraid sync >> $dove

I don't know why, but the file in /var/log/snapraid.log is not visible in the WebGui SystemLog when I select the SnapRaid log.

Today I had the time to test the TransmissionBT plugin.
    All very easy, just one command to issue in the CLI.

I have created 3 directories for Transmission:
    bt-down
    bt-incomplete
    bt-watch

Then as root:

Code
    chown debian-transmission:users bt-*

The speed of download is also very good. Much better than my Rasperry PI Transmission Daemon.
    I have just to integrate my programs for the torrents download ("the poor man's CouchPotato" programs... :D ) and I have almost done all my tests.

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

overkill is the right expression :)

You can convert them (read) but you probably don't need to. If you still want to convert them, do it before mounting in OMV.

Thanks for the link, I've just read the guide, I thought it would be more complex than that.
    By the way I think you're right, I can test OMV without converting the drives.
    Just in case something goes wrong (the hardware of my old machine + OMV), I can remove from the machine the OMV OS drive and go back with the Naslite OS.
    I think I will do this way. Thanks for your advice.

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

Check out couchpotato, sabnzbd, headphones, transmissionbt, sickbeard then...

I've look at all this apps, they are great but in the end, for my personal needs are just a "overkill" (I don't know is the right expression :) )

I was wondering to "upgrade" my backup Naslite server box to an OMV box.
    Can I convert the hard drives of the Naslite box (they are full of data) from ext3 to ext4 without formatting them ?