Posts by ShamusLit

I've recently installed Portainer 2.1.1 on my OMV 5 platform. I was interested in using the templates from SelfhostedPro. The instruction say to Enable External Templates under the Portainer Settings . In my installation of Portainer there is no entry on the Settings page for Enabling External Templates. The Portainer documentation that I've been able to review does not even mention this option. There is an option on the Settings page for "You can specify the URL to your own template definitions file here...". Do I overwrite that JSON file or can I somehow append the second location to it?

Can someone please point me in the right direction on this issue?

cubemin  KM0201  kenboyer-kb I really appreciate all of your help so far and it seems that Docker is now installed and running BUT I am a little leery about further steps until I am able to determine just how stable this whole thing is. This is on a working system so I don't want to break basic OMV functions.

1. Is there a way to check Docker to make sure that it is in fact a good install?
    2. Does it seem strange to anyone that by apt install docker-ce it would reinstall the whole ball of wax without me touching the GUI?
    3. Once step 1 above is done will it be OK to install Portainer.
    4. Also when other changes are made to OMV via the GUI you get the banner asking you to confirm changes but in the above case that did not happen. Is this normal for Docker installs ( I cant recall what occurred when I originally installed it).

The command docker run hello-world provides me with the following outupt:

So does that tell me that all is well in Docker land?

cubemin OK that was weird. I followed your advice:

1. uninstall through the GUI,
    2. manually do apt update and
    3. apt install docker-ce,
    4. reinstall from the GUI?

Completed step 3 above and returned to the GUI tab for Docker. Here's what I found:

KM0201 The output from docker info | grep Root is:

Docker Root Dir: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data/Container

The output from systemctl status docker is:

~

KM0201 here is the progress report...
    Un-install Docker - result:

I deleted the old shared folder and created a new one. Rebooted server after.

Re-install Docker - result:

Saved and then restarted Docker - Result:

Code
    >>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; echo "Restarting docker ..." && systemctl restart docker.service ': Restarting docker ...
    <<< *************************************

again in an endless loop. How is it possible to go through an install of Docker without errors and still not have it installed.

OK did all that and I used the absolute path as you suggested. So what next?

Here's what happened when I installed Docker...

KM0201 Well that did not work.

I created a shared folder, added that folder to Docker install page, installed, saved, and restarted and get the following:

Code
    >>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; echo "Restarting docker ..." && systemctl restart docker.service ': Restarting docker ...
    <<< *************************************

in an endless loop. And OMV-Extras, Docker Tab is still saying it is not installed.

KM0201 I wish it were so. After deleting the prior installation of Docker I rebooted, and attempted to reinstall Docker. The install log file shows the following:

but within OMV-extras the Docker tab still says it is not installed. So I am guessing that since the Docker Storage Line is blank there is a folder location missing. What I've got is a 32GB SSD (Dont want to use that) and a 7TB RAID array. I've read its not good to put the Docker storage on a Shared folder and the instructions are not clear how you should proceed on this. Suggestions?

ShamusLit I'm curious why you changed your IPTables to legacy, and what you mean by “I set the ACL for this folder to allow Docker to Read and Write”

Agricola I was following a Docker setup post (which I cannot find again) it recommended those two settings.

I have manged to delete the prior docker installation (thank you cubemin) and now , hopefully, have a clean slate. Is there a Docker setup instruction somewhere I should follow?

I get the following recurring error in the NUT.log:

Code
    fopen /var/run/nut/upsd.pid: No such file or directory

As I installed the NUT 5.2.0-1 app using OMV-Extras I am confused why a required file would show up as missing when OMV connects to the UPS? I've updated OMV to the most recent release which I assume also updated the OMV-Extras.

Is there a means to correct this?

I recently developed a need to set up Docker on my OMV NAS as described below:

After reading numerous recommendations I did the following:

1. created a shared folder on the NAS to use for Docker [/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data/Docker] As my OS is on a 32GB SSD
    2. I set the ACL for this folder to allow Docker to Read and Write
    3. In the Docker setup page I added the shared folder to the Docker Storage field
    4. I changed the IPTables to use Legacy
    5. I saved that configuration
    6. I Installed Docker

The result of this is that Docker shows that it is installed but not running (even after numerous Docker Restarts and a couple of Server Reboots.

Furthermore I thought perhaps I should just Remove Docker and Re-install but in doing that I get an error message saying Docker Cannot be uninstalled.

Also the boot log held these gems if they may help:

Code
    2021-04-16T16:21:18-0400 Borg.ShulistHome systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Create lightweight, portable, self-sufficient containers....
    2021-04-16T16:21:18-0400 Borg.ShulistHome docker[16632]: /usr/bin/dockerd not present or not executable ... failed!
    2021-04-16T16:21:18-0400 Borg.ShulistHome systemd[1]: docker.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    2021-04-16T16:21:18-0400 Borg.ShulistHome systemd[1]: docker.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    2021-04-16T16:21:18-0400 Borg.ShulistHome systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Create lightweight, portable, self-sufficient containers..

I am not sure how OMV_Extras caused this to happen but I would appreciate any assistance in correcting this problem.