Beiträge von Parallax

It's up to you. If you feel that adding OMV to an existing Debian install is a corner case and anyone doing so will be able to troubleshoot and fix the issue themselves, then that's fine.

As I mentioned I did indeed comment out the deb entry in the docker.list file (who knows if Docker will make some change to it in the future so I may as well retain the file itself).

I don't have the knowledge to debate the merits or otherwise of Docker's approach vs Salt's, I just (now) know enough to tell you that if you do both it breaks things. :)

Unfortunately after playing with this it seems that the truth is a bit messier, since omvextras will put back this source line if you rerun omv-salt at any point.

ryecoaaron is there any way that omvextras checks if the user has already installed Docker (and hence has a valid keychain and apt list) and then not put a new Docker deb entry in omvextras.list, if you get what I mean? Otherwise you end up with this messy conflict.

For now I have commented the line out of my docker.list.

You have to delete (or comment) the line mentioning the Docker repo out of

Code
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/omvextras.list

Otherwise there are two sources in conflict, the other is in docker.list and uses the key, while the omvextras.list entry doesn't.

These sorts of generic questions are very hard to answer because it depends on a lot of factors, such as the nature of the files - small, large - you'll be using, the concurrency, speed of access, what else you're running on the box, etc. With encryption you already have a problem because I'm pretty sure that processor does not have AES acceleration support, so you are doing the whole shooting match (running the environment/OS, RAID checksumming and encryption) all on the CPU - and it only has 2C/2T. So everything should work fine in your base state in paragraph 2, and then I would expect everything to go right out the window performance-wise as soon as you encrypt and/or try something disk intensive - multiple file reads and writes simultaneously, etc.

So, in order :

1. Not optimal given there are a reasonable number of reads and writes to the boot volume, although there is a plugin to reduce the wear on a USB stick when using it as an OMV boot drive if you must. Instead though why not save yourself the pain and buy a small SSD, 128GB or thereabouts, which is going to be the price of a nice dinner at most?

2. I can't see 8GB being an issue unless you run something like ZFS + a bunch of containers. I run ZFS over a ~12TB array and around 30 containers - some fairly chunky - and it uses about 70% of 16GB of RAM (but under 10% of CPU unless I'm running a large search or index workload). As long as you don't use encryption (point 3) + virtualise all the thingz I can't see the CPU struggling.

3. I don't think encryption is a great idea until you move to a stronger CPU. Do you really need encryption? The likelihood somebody wanders into your house and steals your drives so as to be able to read stuff off a whole disk are low, surely? Why not just encrypt individual files or a special directory if it's really needed? And if your powerline adapters are anything like the ones I've used, you will be lucky to get 20-25MB/s, even on the "1GBit" ones. This has nothing to do with OMV, you'll get the same off FreeNAS. Unless you mean 100Mbit/s, in which case you should get that (~8-10MB/s) unless your house power wiring has issues. Personally I use a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco m5s to link the two floors, replacing a powerline solution. I get 30-40MB/s and it is much more stable and predictable than powerline.

After years of using things because they were interesting technically, lately I've moved firmly into using things because they work. I don't want running my home infra to feel like a job - OMV works OOTB and it's dependable, there's no need to make a rod for your own back in this area or others. (In a similar vein I would suggest biting the bullet and simplifying your storage with some larger drives, buying a second hand HP Microserver Gen 8 for iLO access and speedier CPU options, spending ~$80 on 8GB more RAM and an SSD boot drive, etc. but I totally understand that financial constraints can prevent this.)