Posts by CK77

Well it obviously sucks to have to re-install OMV after a hard drive failure, specially when the SSD is brand new :(

But overall that was a very painless process thanks to the wonders of Docker.

I made sure i had copies of all my stacks, so once i restored my AppData share everything was up and running in no time

If i had to redo all that on a windows pc it would have taken me over a day to get all my settings back for Home assistant, Emby, Sonarr, Radarr, ....

Still lots to learn, but i'm liking it!

It could be as simple as a short from 5v to ground in the SSD. You are not using another power connector or and extender with the new ssd that was not used with the old one are you? I have seen this in cheap sata power splitters, folks have even had fires in their pc's because of these things.

My computer is an Intel NUC, the SSD is a M.2.

So you "plug" that straight into the motherboard. No splitters or power connectors

UPDATE:

Turns out my computer is not dead, but it's the new SSD that's dead.

I tried moving the SSD to my old NUC and when i plug it in the computer doesn't boot anymore either.

Then i put an old SSD in the new computer and it boots.

I have never heard of a computer not turning on at all when you have a faulty SSD. I would assume it would throw an error saying no boot device found or something?

So my question is slightly changing now. I'll have to reinstall OMV on a new boot drive.

No problem there, but what will happen with the rest of the drives ones OMV is installed again?

I have 1 internal SSD with my projects and appdata for my docker containers

then i have another 2 external WD 4TB drives with my movie ant tv shares on.

Will the new install of OMV see these shares? or will I have to do some Linux magic to make this work again?

Hi all,

I just had my OMV5 setup up and running like i wanted on a brand new computer, but now the computer died. ;( Intel is sending me a new NUC at least, but that will be 5-6 weeks before it's here.

I have another slightly older NUC. Can i just put the 2 internal HD's from the OMV5 Nuc into my other computer and should that just boot? Or is there more to it?

I know you can do this with a windows install if the hardware is similar.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated

I don't know where that suggestion came from that results in using PUID=998 to run containers, but I disagree with it strongly.

You didn't create user 998. That is the OMV admin user.

indeed 998 is the admin user for OMV, that's what most videos on Youtube use when they set up docker containers

I've created a user, as you suggested in the other thread, and added SSH and Sudo Groups to it

for that new user

PIUD=1000

PGID=100

When i adjust the stack and restart the container i still have the same problem. Everything starts fine, but it can't see the symlinks.

For now i might give up on the idea of the symlinks and just have a few more shares

this is the code i used to start the container.

I've basically been following some of the Youtube videos for installing docker containers with portainer.

they all use the PUID and PGID from the user you create when you set up Portainer

The vast majority of problems seen with things like Emby and Plex involve not having the correct filesystem permissions on the media files and folders such that the user the container runs as can access them.

I would avoid using symlinks unless you are absolutely sure they are not interfering with permissions.

And how do i go about checking if i have the right permissions?

I've used portainer and a stack to set up the the Emby container

i used the PIUD and GID from the admin account from portainer

I should add that the folders TV andMusic are symlinks

The Movie folder is one i just created in the Media folder and that one is showing up.

I can even drill further in it:

So the problem seems to be with the symlinks, any idea how to solve this? :)

Hi,

I'm trying to install Emby in Docker.

First part is working fine, it's once i get into the setup of Emby i run into a small problem.

This is a layout of my Shares/Folder structure:

in my docker compose i used the following volumes:

- /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-CT250MX500SSD4_2017E29D61E6-part4/AppData/Emby:/config

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Media:/data/Media

I would like to have a Library that contains TV Documentaries and TV Series, and a separate Library with Daily Shows

Same goes for Movies, one Library with A-Z and Stand up Comedy, one with Universes

My problem is when i start creating Libraries in Emby i can't see the whole folder structure.

It sees data/Media and i can specify Movies or TV, but if i want to drill one level further then it says it can't find the folder

So if i enter

/data/Media/TV as a folder it works

if i enter

/data/Media/TV/TV Series

it says that the path can't be found.

I assume it has something to do with the spaces in the folder name, i tried '' and "" around the path but that doesn't seem to work either.

What am I doing wrong? I'm sure this is something simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Using the root account for everything is a bad idea. Create an ordinary user and if you need elevated privileges use sudo or su to root.

Thanks for the tip.

I've never really used a Linux system up until now. Always just Windows, so i'm learning a lot.

I've made a new user in OMV that i gave extra permissions, sudo and ssh

I'll use that user to make the symlinks and anything else i need to do on the command line

oops, i noticed i made a mistake

This is the correct one

root@Palpatine:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Media# ls -al

total 8

drwxrwsrwx+ 2 root users 4096 Sep 30 11:15 .

drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Sep 30 04:18 ..

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root users 34 Sep 30 11:14 Music -> /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Music

root@Palpatine:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Media#

root@Palpatine:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Media# ls -al

total 8

drwxrwsrwx+ 2 root users 4096 Sep 30 11:09 .

drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Sep 30 04:18 ..

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root users 34 Sep 30 11:09 Music -> /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Disk2/Music

root@Palpatine:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Media#

Yes, since OMV5 it takes longer than with previous versions. You can apply several changes at the same time.

Did you create the links as root? Then permissions are probably not correct.

Yes i created them as root. I'm the only user at my home so i didn't see the need to create more users

If i create a folder as root i can access it fine in windows. it's only the ln command that seems to give problems

So should i just create another user to do this? What permissions does that user need?

mmmm, another strange one.

I've made a share called TV

It's shared as TV

but in windows the share shows up as tv

For a share like AppData or Media it shows up normal in windows, it seems to go wrong when the share is in all caps

Edit: After some searching this seems to be a Windows problem, not a OMV one.

My NUC 8i5BEH arrived today :)

So far I've installed OMV, OMV-extras, Docker and Portainer.

I've also managed to resize my SSD with Gparted.

2 external HD's have been added, formatted and mounted

shares have been made

I can see all the shares in windows

So far so good!

Is it normal that all the changes you make take quite a while to apply, around 15-25 sec. Adding a SMB share seems to take even longer. In the videos on Youtube it always seems to go a lot faster.

The first problem i'm running into is making the symlinks.

I've made my Media and Music shares, for the moment i made both available via SMB too

I added music to the Music share, just to have some reference data.

then i logged into my server with putty as root

navigated to /srv/diskname/Media

then i entered the following command: ln -s /srv/diskname/Music Music

The link gets created and i can see it in windows, but i can't enter the folder, windows just sees it as an empty folder that you can't enter. I can't delete the folder in windows either. I have to do it via the terminal.

If i just create a folder in the terminal then i can manipulate it normally in windows, so it's not a permissions problem i think?

Any idea what i could be doing wrong?