Posts by bryanc1968

I will have to read up more on iscsi target... If it involves to much work to implement or setup I might just forget about my idea... The PXE setup was fairly easy once I figured out what I needed to place where and what needed to be included in the config file...

Yeah... I am already using PXE to boot a few Linux LiveCD/DVD distros... And that works great... but I would also like to boot a live system from a diskless thinclient type system... and have any changes that are made during each session be persistent between sessions... Just like creating a Live Ubuntu USB with a Persistence file... If I save bookmarks to my favorite websites in chrome.. I want them to still be there the next time I boot into the system... If I change the wallpaper during one session.. then I want it to be there on the next session... Download Updates, etc, etc... But with PXE booting a LiveCD those changes aren't saved between sessions... You start fresh each time with the default setup of the LiveCD/DVD... Bookmarks are lost.. Updates are lost... etc. etc... Unless there is a way to PXE boot something like a Live USB setup with a Persistence file...

Ok... I have found out from experience that PXE booting most Live Linux CD/DVD's the Memdisk way is not the way to go... Unless the ISO image is small... The Memdisk method takes to long to load the ISO image and then it requires more than twice the amount of ram that it would take to boot the actual CD/DVD or boot via a Live USB... Live ISO images of things like DBAN, Parted Magic, Puppy Linux, SpinRite, Windows WinPE repair Disc, etc, etc, are fine due the small size of the ISO's... So unless the system your are PXE Booting with has loads of memory, or the ISO images you want to boot are fairly small, booting via memdisk is not a good solution...

yeah.. I know how Virtualbox works and how to install and setup any OS as a Virtual Machine... I was just hoping that maybe I could setup several VM's on a headless server and then this plugin would allow me to take a thin client of some sort or any computer without an HDD... and actually boot up any one of those VM's over the network and use it, setup user accounts, update it, save files and have settings saved, etc between sessions, (Things you can't do with the typical Live CD/DVD, unless you use a Live USB with persistence), without doing the VNC or Team Viewer route...

Yeah I know... I have already setup the PXE Plugin and can now boot to several ISO images I have added such as Parted Magic, Windows 7 Recovery Disc, Acronis True Image bootable CD, Dban, SpinRite, PCLinuxOS live DVD, Linux Mint Live DVD...

But I thought maybe the VirtualBox plugin might actually allow me to boot in the same way to a full blown OS install instead of just a Live CD/DVD...

Well with the last line I was thinking that I might be able to actually boot a Diskless system like maybe a thin client to a Virtual Machine installed on a server over the network... Kind of like TFTP/PXE booting an ISO image to do a remote install of an OS on a system...

EDITED to fix mistakes...

Oh.. OK... So I could Setup and Install a Linux VM with the plugin.. Then install Team Viewer for Linux on that VM... and then I could connect to it with Team Viewer on any of my other machines... But I would not be able to actually boot a machine to that VM...

Well like I said I have used Virtualbox many times on both my Windows Boxes and my Linux box... I have installed and tested various Linux distros on my Windows boxes via Virtualbox instead of doing a dual boot setup... and Vis-Versa.. I have installed Windows in a VM on my linux box to be able to run certain programs that could only be ran in Windows instead of dual booting both OS's... I thought that maybe I could install these VM's on a server that I could then access from any computer I have and run them over the network similar to accessing my various systems with something like Team Viewer or VNC... Or even maybe be able to boot a system to one of the VM's similar to PXE booting...

I'm not sure how to ask this, but here goes... I know what Virtualbox is, and I have used it many times on both Linux and Windows, but I am unsure what this plugin does or is used for on OMV...? If it does what I am thinking then I might find it useful and install it, but I want to get a better understanding of it before I actually install it... It sounds like it will allow you to install and setup virtual machines on OMV that could be remotely booted and ran over the network... If that is the case then I would find that very useful...

@willri

Yes.. I have used Sprinrite many times over the years to repair and or recover data on hard drives that were unreadable or unbootable due to corruption of some sort or bad sectors on the hard drive... It has been a life saver a few times... Several times I have had to come up with some creative ways to use it due to a system not having a CD/DVD drive and that could not boot from USB either.. That's why I wanted to find a way to PXE boot It as well as other great tools I use... And I have tested Sprinrite to make sure it boots over PXE and runs on my own system... Everything worked great...

David,

I have been doing some more research and I think I have what I wanted to do figured out... I was able to boot all my ISO's I have tested so far with no problems... (Parted Magic, Acronis True Image boot media, Windows 7 Repair Disc, and Spinrite)... I found out how to PXE boot the ISO images using Syslinux Memdisk as the kernal and the options I needed to put in Append box...

I placed a copy of memdisk in the PXE share folder...
    I uploaded All the iso images into their own sub folders in the PXE share...
    I filled in the appropriate info for each entry in the Add Entry screen..

Example of the Add Entry Screen for Parted Magic...
    LABEL: pmagic
    MENU: Parted Magic
    KERNEL: memdisk
    APPEND: iso initrd=/pmagic/pmagic_2013_11_11.iso

I then made sure that my SOPHOS UTM DHCP Server settings were set correctly for the tftp boot file and next-server.. Rebooted my computer with the Network Boot option from the BIOS boot menu and in just a few seconds I was presented with a list of ISO's I could boot from...
    I tested each one and they all worked... Hurray... I'm proud of my self... This setup will come in handy in my computer repair business I run from home... Now to find more good images to ad to the list...

Thanks for this great plugin...

Ok... Thanks... Any help would be much appreciated... Although I don't remember requesting any features..? Just some help in setting up a PXE Server on OMV... This is my 1st time experimenting with a PXE environment... I am not exactly a Linux Newbie, but I am also by fare no Linux expert either... I love playing around with Linux and I have been running my own Linux NAS server for about 7 or 8 years now.. Started with FreeNAS, then Ubuntu Server with Webmin, and now OMV for the past few years... I have also used several different Linux Firewall Distros over the years and am currently running SOPHOS UTM Free Home Use Firewall on my home network...

I just installed this plugin on my OMV v1.9 server because I have a few things I would like to be able to PXE boot Such as PartedMagic, Windows 7/8 Repair Disc, Favorite Linux Live CD/DVD of choice.. etc. etc... but I am not sure what I need to to to configure it for each of these options I want to boot... I have setup NFS and TFTP.. I have created 3 NFS Shares (PXE, ISO, and OS) as suggested in a tutorial I tried to follow from another site before I found this plugin... I have set the TFTP shared folder to PXE... I have copied a few ISO files into the ISO share (pmagic_2013_11_11.iso, Windows7RepairDisc64-bit.iso), but i don't know where to go from here or what I need to put in the Entries section of the PXE Plugin... Can anyone offer some help..?

Thanks in advance...

Are there any plans on updating the Owncloud Plugin to Owncloud 7 anytime soon..? If not can a current OMV 1.0.23 (Kralizec) System with the OwnCloud 6 plugin installed be updated to OwnCloud 7 some other way without breaking the system..?

I am greatly anticipating the release of OMV Kralizec and was wondering what version of Owncloud is going to be included with it... I just saw that Owncloud 7 has been released and was hoping that maybe it would make it into OMV Kralizec...

I am greatly anticipating the release of OMV Kralizec and was wondering what version of Owncloud is going to be included with it... I just saw that Owncloud 7 has been released and was hoping that maybe it would make it into OMV Kralizec...