Beiträge von BartJY

Fellow NAS folks,

I have seen the light. After months of tinkering with my home brew NAS, I was always getting an error. So one day last week a light went off in my head, mind you a rather dim one, but it was a light never the less. And what was that light? To get this tinkerer an LSI 9211-8i SAS card. And magically all the errors messages have gone away. It works, my home brew NAS actually works with no errors. Even ZFS is happy, no more scary undecipherable message from the mighty ZFS.

To all the tinkerers that want to make their own NAS do yourself a favor and get an LSI 9211-8i SAS card, or some other model of SAS card from LSI. Your connectivity headaches will go away. It wasn't too expensive, I spent about $70 bucks for mine and it was totally worth it.

Happy NASsing.

Bart

The ASUS motherboard that this thread references accepts non-buffered ECC memory. Does that mean that error correction that takes place on buffered ECC memory does not take place? Was it worth obtaining the non-buffered ECC memory?

Thanks

Hi Folks,

Building my very first NAS using some old hardware, the parts consist of:

ASUS M4X89GTD PRO/USB3 Motherboard [Supports ECC memory]

AMD Phenom 11x6 1100T Processor

16 GB of ECC RAM

LSI 9211-8i SAS/SATA card

So what do you think? Do you know of any problems that this combination of hardware might have?

Thanks

Bart

Hi Folks,

Pretty happy with my small home NAS, it even has RaidZ1. But for some reason Acronis True Image 2019 doesn't like it much. It won't save any of my backups on the new home NAS. Any suggestions as to a possible reason? I've checked and rechecked the permissions and all other relative issues, but nothing seems to work, I'm stumped.

Thanks

Bart

Upon many hours of banging my head against the wall, I found out what the problem was. The version of OMV 5 that I have doesn't like more than one "shared folder". Initially I created 5, and thus the problem began. I tried using the other shared folders and always received the I need permission message. That happened even after I individually granted all the folders permission. Now that I reinstalled OMV and only created 1 shared folder, I now have all the permissions I need to use the folder. Is that a bug, or was it created that way on purpose? :/

Thanks

Bart

I followed Techo Dad Life's OMV 5 video stable complete install and setup video to the letter, four or five times and I still get the no permissions message. I'm bummed. I'm about to abandon OMV and look for some other software....

Bart