Beiträge von prashkd

Hello,

So I have recently started using USBbackup plugin to backup my NAS onto my external HDD and it is my understanding that when I connect my USB to the NAS, it automatically mounts the HDD, runs backup and then unmount it. After the backup, I wanted to check the files on the HDD but since its automatically unmounted, I am unable to do so. My question is:

1. How can I safely mount the HDD again without trigerring the USB backup just so I can safely browse my files on HDD.

2. Because of ext formatting, I am unable to check those files from my windows PC. Is there a solution for this ?

Question for developers:

1. When the plugin starts and stops the backup, it trigger the buzzer. Is there a plan to add a visual indicator for this? I've configured email notification which sends me the logs but a visual indicator will help me be sure that NO backup process if ongoing before i pull out the cable.

Thanks,

Have you looked at omv-extras.org? Specifically these:

omv6:omv6_plugins:docker_compose [omv-extras.org]

omv6:docker_in_omv [omv-extras.org]

I came across the links a few months back when I upgraded from OMV5 to OMV6 but didn't pay attention to all the information it contains. I've bookmarked the links now so thanks for sharing.

The next version of the compose plugin will require that the docker repo is enabled. Your issue is that you install docker outside of omv-extras. If you check the box again and apply settings, it will fix the issue.

sudo omv-aptclean repos would've fixed everything without having to remove the docker.list file manually because it finds the duplicate docker repo references and removes them. Checking the docker box again would have run that command.

I prefer managing my NAS via web GUI and if I had known about the this "docker compose" plugin, which I believe is OMV's replacement for Portainer, I'd never went down the path of manually managing my docker services.

As someone from NON-IT background, I rely on online guides/ tutorials created by OMV users to add functions to my NAS and unfortunately, there are'nt many tutorials for OMV6 coming up lately.

Anyhow, I an looking forward to the next OMV version and maybe after the upgrade I'll move back to using docker compose plugin.

Thanks,

You would save a lot of headaches by just using the compose plugin on OMV.

Thanks for diverting my attention to the OMV plugin settings.

The issue was that under OMV-extras options I still had "docker repo" checked. After disabling it and running apt clean, I was able to breeze through the official docker installation manual.

Issue Resolved.

Update 1:

Solved the above mentioned error by removing docker.list file from /etc/apt/sources.list.d . Now I can install updates and also run apt update command.

Having said that, on runnign the apt update command I am still getting following warnings:

W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: https://download.docker.com/linux/debian bullseye InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Will investigate further..

Before my recent upgrade from OMV5 to OMV6, I use to run several docker services on my NAS using OMVextra plugins (web GUI). However since upgrading to OMV6, I felt the GUi support to be a bit flaky so I decided to completely remove docker install (and all containers) from my system and install it step by step via command line using the plathora of tutorials that are already available online. However As I am following the official docker install procefure from Install Docker Engine , I am starting to get error shown below. Now the problem is not limited to docker install and even the upgrade management plugin in OMV.

Steps I've tried to resolve this:

1. I've tried deleting the docker.gpg file from /etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg - NO Luck

2. I tried to search docker.gpg file in /usr/share/keyrings/docker.gpg but i can't see anything in there.

Any suggestions on how I should deal with this error ?

Hello ,

I just updated my OMV6 with 6.5.3-1 patch and it seems to have broken my Dashboard . When I click on this option, it throws an error "Software Failure Press left mouse button..."

Please see the logs below:

Any Solutions for this ? Is it possible to roll back this update ?

Install the backup plugin and select dd-full.

One way to restore is as described above by KM0201

Thank you for responding.

I just finished making dd-full of my OMV6 installed on a 256GB SSD and have couple of queries:

1. The size of my backup file (.ddlfull) is just 3.9 GB. Reading other comments in this forum, it was my understanding that dd-full clones the entire disk i.e 256 GB ?

2. In case my OS drive gets corrupted, can i use this image to burn a new 256 GB SSD and I will get a properly installed disk that I can just plug into my NAS ?

3. in the Backup GUI, there's a last option called "keep". Does this mean the OS will automatically delete the backup after the number of days set in this option ? I have current set this to 60 days and configured "Schedule" to backup OS every 30 days.. If my understanding is right, I will always have 2 latest backups of my OS while the old ones will keep getting deleted?

The filesystem will be mounted once you plugin the connector. When the job is finished the filesystem in unmounted.

The plugin does not work if the drive is permanently connected. If that is the case use a rsync job for example.

I've just started using USB backup plugin to create a full backup of my NAS and just wanted to ask if the plugin is using rsync as underlaying technology?

The reason I asked is that the backup has been going on for last 4 days running 24x7 and I am just trying to figure out if this is because its my first backup or will be bahave the same way everytime I run the backup.

Two years later the same problem. Fresh install, a few weeks of work. After the power loss got this and a Loading... page in a browser.

Code
    Jul 23 09:54:50 homehub monit[1262]: 'mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-uuid-96f03791-cc11-48cd-9a59-1833f659322a' status failed (1) -- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-96f03791-cc11-48cd-9a59-1833f659322a is not a mountpoint
    Jul 23 09:55:20 homehub monit[1262]: Filesystem '/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-96f03791-cc11-48cd-9a59-1833f659322a' not mounted
    Jul 23 09:55:20 homehub monit[1262]: 'filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-uuid-96f03791-cc11-48cd-9a59-1833f659322a' unable to read filesystem '/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-96f03791-cc11-48cd-9a59-1833f659322a' state
    Jul 23 09:55:20 homehub monit[1262]: 'filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-uuid-96f03791-cc11-48cd-9a59-1833f659322a' trying to restart
    Jul 23 09:55:20 homehub monit[1262]: 'mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-uuid-96f03791-cc11-48cd-9a59-1833f659322a' status failed (1) -- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-96f03791-cc11-48cd-9a59-1833f659322a is not a mountpoint
    Jul 23 09:55:20 homehub monit[1262]: 'mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-uuid-96f03791-cc11-48cd-9a59-1833f659322a' status failed (1) -- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-96f03791-cc11-48cd-9a59-1833f659322a is not a mountpoint

I experienced same issue after power loss. Rebooting the system a few times with all network cables disconnected helped fixed the issue for me. From what I can remember (and I could be wrong here) the issue had something to do with drivers booting in wrong sequence.

After experience that problem, I've gotten myself an external usb storage for full NAS backup.

Hello,

I have a OMV6 machine running on local netwok with SMB file server. On my work PC, I have a VPN service installed and whenever I am using VPN, it disconnects all my SMB sharepoints and also blocks all the http services.

For the 2nd issue, I have managed to install nginx with SSL certificate and have started using all the services over https

For the 1st issue however, I was wondering if there's any way to run SMB such that I can still access it using the VPN service ? I've already check with the VPN service provider and unfortulately there's no way in their software to make exception for SMB service.

Thanks,

Hello,

I have a OMV6 NAS running with a few docker services and I want to configure nginx reverse proxy using this guide YouTube to solve two issues:

1. My antivirus service blocks all non-https links and therefore I have to disable it in order to use my local NAS services.

2. All service are currently using their own port creating a large "attack surface" on my machine.

To solve these problems I am planning to install nginx reverse proxy container which, I hope will help with the https but also, once the nginx is configured, I should be able to block all other ports as my understanding is that nginx ports (80, 81 and 443) will be used to redirecti all incoming requests.

To test my theory, I setup a OMV6 VM and managed to get following done:

1. Spin an nginx reverse proxy (as described in Youtube link shared above), setup duckdns domain name and configure Letsencrypt SSL certificate. - WORKS

2. Configure all active services in proxy hosts (e.g. nginx admin= - WORKS

Now I am trying to configure OMV6 firewall as below:

1. Service Name = nginx, Family=IPv4. Direction= Input, Action=Accept, Source=192.168.x.x/24, destination port=443, protocol=TCP

2. Service Name = Reject, Family=IPv4. Direction= Input, Action=Reject, protocol=ALL

Now it is my understanding that above configuration will block all ports on my machine except 443 which is linked to my nginx service however since this port is used as reverse proxy, all my services should still be accessable.

Problem:

After going through all above settings, I am able to use nginx admin portal however for all other services I am getting 502 Bad Gateway. Am i wong to assume that reverse proxy uses configured port (443 in this case) to redirect all data packets over TCP ? because if not, why'd firewall be blocking my access ??

No. Your i5 has 4 CPUs. So 100% usage would be 400%. -> 100%x4cpus=400%

Thanks, that makes sense.. However I am still not sure whether a single application should be taking up 97% of CPU capacity even if its for a moment! The average CPU usage seem to indicate hardly any load on the processor so are these momentary spikes from clamv to be expected ?

I understand there may be a way to disable these "resource limit reached" alerts however I'd prefer to identify the root cause of this issue and understand the risks of ignoring them before I disable the alert.

Thanks

Hello,

So lately I've been getting "Resource limig succeeded" alerts on my email (message below) from my OMV6 nas which seem to suggets my CPU is running at 95% of its capacity which initially didn't make any sense as I am using an i5 process (old Dell 9050) which should be quite capable of running OMV + a couple of docker services.

Code
    Event:       Resource limit matched
    Description: cpu user usage of 97.9% matches resource limit [cpu user usage > 95.0%]

When i looked at the OMV process logs (snapshot below), I noticed my first culprit clamav antivirus so my question are:

1. Has anyone else experienced such behaviour from clamv using excessive CPU ? If so, what measures can i take to fix it ?

2. what does it mean to be using "381.2 %" of CPU ? Is clamv overclocking my CPU ?

This is a work in progress and I might share more details here as I learn new things but in the meantime please feel free to share your valuable insight here.

The advantage of "snapshots" is that they don't take up much space. Borg does this by deduping and compressing.

The snapshot that rsnapshot creates is not really a snapshot. It creates a hard link to the source file if they are the same. If your master copy got corrupted, the next rsnapshot run would create new files since they would not be the same. This is good because it protects you from accidental deletes and ransomware. It could be bad because you could fill the filesystem.

rsnapshot and borg both work well but I think borg is better (does bitrot detection) and saves more space.

Borg seems to be the flavor of the day with most articles I've read today seems to be suggesting this option.

While I am learning about this plugin from various sources and creating my backup strategy, do you think this is stable enough to backup critical data of a small/mid-size business? Any pitfall that a new users should be aware of?

I would like to add a fourth option: Rsnapshots. The big advantage is the Rsnapshot provides versioned backups!

Hmmm. this is interesting.

I wasn't aware of snapshot option but after doing a bit of research online it is my understanding that snapshots cannot recover my data if the master copy (aka NAS data) gets completely corrupted ?

If this is true than I can probably use this option for creating "intermediate" backups once a week but i think its still prudent to have a full data backup done on a monthly basis.

Thanks for the suggestion though. while it has made my backup plan a bit more complicated, i think this will be a much better way to manage things.

Hello all,

I've recently purchased a USB HDD to backup my 8 TB NAS. My goal is to configure it such that it meets following objectives:

1. "offline" backup to protect my data against rensomware incase my NAS gets locked out (hence usb HDD instead of another NAS for backup)

2. Encryption - The data on HDD should also be password protected.

3. Reliable Storage - The data transfer and storage should be error free.

Based on my research so far, OMV offers 3 backup options i.e.

1. USB backup plugin,

2. rsync

3. borg

If anyone has experience of using any of these options, may I ask them to share their concerns/issues they've encountered so I can plan my backup strategy taking into consideration all those factors ?

Thanks,

Thanks for sharing the command. I went through each user folder and found something interesting (basically what you alluded to) :

Size of "User" root folder = 1.5 TB

Total size of individual user folders = 102 GB

ls -a showed me a hidden .recycle folder with 1.4TB worth of data!

While i can empty it from command line, is there a setting on OMV dashboard to deal with this ?