Posts by jfzmobil

Hi,

i removed a Harddisk from my OMV 5.5 System (Replaced a ST31500341AS by a SSD).

However, even if the disk is not present any more, I see some remains of the old drive in the config. So for instance in

/etc/hdparm.conf it is still present

# This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org)

# WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31500341AS_XXXXXXX {

spindown_time = 240

write_cache = off

}

and also taking a look into /etc/openmediavault/config.xml, I see some remains of the Drive

<monitor>

<device>

<uuid>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</uuid>

<enable>1</enable>

<devicefile>/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31500341AS_XXXXX</devicefile>

<devicetype></devicetype>

</device>

and

<hdparm>

<uuid>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</uuid>

<devicefile>/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31500341AS_XXXXXXX</devicefile>

<apm>0</apm>

<aam>0</aam>

<spindowntime>240</spindowntime>

<writecache>0</writecache>

</hdparm>

is there some option in OMV to indicate, that a drive was removed from the system (e.g. after a hardware failure) and that all settings concering this drive are obsolete and can be removed too?

woud it be safe to remove the entries from /etc/openmediavault/config.xml? Or should this file never be touched?

Thanks at least for the feedback. I wrote me a small script performing hdparm -C /dev/sd[abcde] with a sleep in a while-loop. This is working fine for me at the moment.

And this leaded me to a point I did not understand:

just opening this page in the webgui in fact I just switched from "disks" to this "smart" spinned up all my disks.

So just opening the page seems to activate all HDD, perhaps by making some hard-dis scan. It is reproducable, e.g. just waiting until disks are in standby and switching to a different menu item and back to this page wakes up the disks.

is it normal and intended? I suppose no?

Hi,

in fact currently I'm searching half of the functionality requested:

I search an option to backup my OMV settings, but less for restoring them. It's more for having them available (e.g. as txt or pdf) for a easy restore in case of new installation.

Reason: it happens that I make a new installation from scratch. especially if there is a major update, either from Debian or from OMV. Or I set up a similiar system for a friend. And then I would like to have an overview of the settings I've done just as an guideline to not forget anything.

In fact, for me it would be sufficient to have a file containing the settings performed in the Web-UI

Does something exist? Or are the settings distributed among a lot of different files and folders?

Thanks a lot, I open a feature request to add this info ( stanby, active) in the rigth of the column Temp so in the same webGUI you can easy check both parameters, temp and status.

Quite old but for me still an actual concern...

do you know if such a feature will be added? I would like it, because i see some issue with my disks not always getting into standy, so I would like to have a better overview on them

This means that the copy operation causes a quite high load on the system

with this, you can check which load warning values are set currently (as a multiplicator for each CPU core)

grep -r 'default:OMV_MONI' /srv/salt/omv/* | cut -d ":" -f3 | cut -d')' -f1 | sort | uniq

I've modified these values with the following steps:

sudo nano /etc/default/openmediavault

add these two variables which corresponds to the double of the former value:

OMV_MONIT_SERVICE_SYSTEM_LOADAVG_1MIN_MULT=4

OMV_MONIT_SERVICE_SYSTEM_LOADAVG_5MIN_MULT=2

then you need these two commands to activate them

sudo omv-salt stage run prepare

sudo omv-salt deploy run monit

this modification does not eliminate the warnings but set the threshold for short-time boundary exceed to the double of the former value. So according to the length of the high-load phase (i did not modify the 15min load-average) and the absolute load (i only raised the limit) you will at least get less mails or even no mails.

Questions to the experts: is is also possible to enter a value like 1.5? Or are only integer vaules allowed?