• Piwigo
    • Photoprism
    • Picapport
    • Lychee
    • Piwigo
    • Plex
    • DigiKam
    • Nextcloud

Plex does the best job for me. It handles jpeg, png, cr2, dng. I also use DigiKam which shares the same data folders. It is great for quick and easy light editing such as red-eye removal, rotate, and bulk rename. DigiKam is great for viewing on the computer while we usually view our photos on the tv with Plex. Both have slideshow capabilities.

Hello Agricola,

thanks for your reply,

Is Plex an expensive program you have to pay for?

At this time I have got a folder structure with different folders will Plex not change this structure? So will Plex not place the thumbnails etc. in the original folders?

Hello All,

Photos

On my OMV server I have got photos from my phone which are in easy in jpeg format but I also have got photos from my other camera which are in RAW format (CR2). What I want is to be able to view these photos on the local network. I did read some fora to see what I kind of software I would need. I the fora I did read the remark: "RAW photos are not for browsers but they are for editing!" So I think I need to explain my user-case a little better.

I am relative new to DLSR camera's this means I want to learn form the photos I make, for instance I can take the 'same' photo with 3 different settings and when I am at home I like to have a look at the photos and the data of the settings to see what the effect was of the settings. This means I intentionally do not trow away all the photos with errors.

When I take a look at the photos with the kids, I just want to browse trough the photos in this case I do not care if they are JPEG or RAW I just want to see the funny moments.

It would be great if I just could copy everything to the server and have software automatically make thumbnails from the RAW photos. The RAW photos are about 25MB If I would load a page with 20 photos this will take a long time. Another reason is RAW is not supported on all devices.

It would be great If I could also watch the pictures on different devices like android phones / tablets, Windows and Linux PC's Chromebook etc.

Movies

at a later time it would be great to have the possibility to trans code movies to a smaller format if the client needs it, but this may wait for a later 'server update'

I did just try Lychee but it does not seem to do the job It can not show RAW photos. There is a lot of other software available but I do not know if the RAW pictures are automatically translated to jpeg I can also not easily find what the costs are.

your help is appreciated!

Hello Macom thank you for your reply,

I run into another problem when I try to make a new volume I type the following information in Portainer at Volumes:

Name: Lychee

Driver: Local

Driver options:

Name: Lychee_DB and

Value: /var/lib/docker/volumes/Lychee/Lychee_DB

When I hit "create this volume" I get an error: Create Lychee: invalid option: Lychee_DB

when I have created Value: /var/lib/docker/volumes/Lychee/Lychee_DB I also want to create an directory called:

Value: /var/lib/docker/volumes/Lychee/Lychee (Without the _DB)

You got a idea what I might be doing wrong?

Hello all,

if I take a look at this youtube

I see at the time: 3.10

some directory's are made. These directory's are

sharefolder/appdata/Lychee and

sharefolder/appdata/Lycheedb

I think this youtube was made with an 'old' version of OMV at least my version looks different. Because I could not find the same settings in my version of OMV. So I did try to install a container with Portainer. In Portainer I can add a container and then I want to add a directory the container may use. So at the bottom of the page there is the tab Volumes. There I can fill in 2 lines one is called: "Container" the other one is called: "Vollume" In this sheet I can only add predefined volumes. I did find it strange that the volumes at this point could not be changed but I am new to Portainer and OMV. Anyway If I click the "Volumes"on the left side of the page of Portainer I can add a Volume.

I might be wrong but from my understanding you make a mount point to mount a directory inside the container to a directory on the host as OMV it self. Is this assumption correct?

In the youtube another directory is used, so I wander what is the best location to place the directories for the docker which are mapped to the inside of the container as "/config" This should all go on the same drive as the OMV OS is installed right?

thanks for the help !

I did change all the lines with "guest" for Test in the Environment variables so SIAB_USER and SIAB_GROUP both now have got the value Test. Then I did add a user in the OMV gui with the name Test and gave this user access to the group ssh and sudo. Now I can log in.

What I do not understand is what if I would like 2 users e.g. Test and Test_2 to be able to use the ShellinaBox container? I can not find a group in list with groups which corresponds to shellinaBox . So I can not add the user Test and the user Test2 to a group called shellinaBox as I can add both users to ssh. How would one do this?

I would strongly consider Wetty over Shellinabox if you're having issues.. very easy to set up.

then go to yourip:port and log in

Hello KM0201,

Thank you for your reply! well I think the issues are probably because I do not know what to write in the environmental variables. I can log in with SSH in the server that works okay so I do not need shellinabox the main reason I try shellinabox is because it is a small program and I rather start learning OMV and containers with a not too complicated setup. To put it in other words I need shellinabox to learn OMV and containers not to use it :-)

for instance

i think I need to change this one:

SIAB_USER The name of the user. Defaults to guest.

from guest to root

or maybe add a new user in OMV and give this user sudo rights or something, I lack knowledge like this that is the reason ShellinaBox doesn't work yet

so If you know a good start point to gain basic knowledge please let me know

I not sure what the concern about transferring lots of small files would be. Once they're loaded onto the new server, that type of content is usually static. The mass copy operation, of numerous small files, is a one time event.

When it comes to caching hard drives or the parallel I/O of a RAID array, note that your bottle neck will be your network connection. I checked your config, and since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming you have a 1GB network. In that case, forget about RAID for increasing drive throughput. There won't be any noticeable benefit. The I/O of one (1) hard drive can saturate a 1GB network connection.

When it comes to type of filesystem, I personally prefer ZFS. ZFS is disk aggregation, a file system, and LVM all in one. ZFS, by default, will use available ram for file caching. A ZIL drive would speed up writing but, again, you're still going to be limited by the network speed of 1GB.

One of the notable differences between ZFS and mdadm RIAD is ZFS can detect and correct bit-rot. For example, if a tradtional RAID1 drive is going bad, data can be silently corrupted as it slowly dies. ZFS, on the other hand, can detect and repair this type of corruption.

Hello crashtest, thank you for your reply!

The thing is with RAID1 on the old Mint server I sometimes get low transfer rates when it copies a lot of small files, then the speed goes down to about 10MB/s or even less! while large files of 650MB go at a speed of 85MB/s. So in this case the bottle neck is not the HD (?) but it might be a stupid mistake I made in some setting or something else. As this is a fresh install I try to see if I can do it better this time. So I think the first thing I have to do is to make a choice between ZFS and mdadm and then try to tweak the results if necessary.

Still not sure which one to use

is ZFS hard to setup in OMV compared to mdadm?

In past days I did install a LVM system for fun but those where the days when had time to nerd around (liked that very much :-) ) If it is LVM can I later just add another HD without reworking the whole setup?

Hello I am new to dockers and containers but I thought to give it a try. I did watch a lot of youtubes about this and searched the internet, but as I am new to this it doesnt work.

I got the OMV extras installed

Portainer is running

In Portainer I did click Containers --> Add container I did fill in the following fields:

Name: ShellinaBox

docker.io : sspreitzer/shellinabox:latest

This container was the most used and usable for Linux

and then I did hit deploy the container, the container appears in the list of containers then I tried to acces the shellinaBox with the ip of the machine in a browser window

192.168.0.10:22

This did not work

then I did take another look at a youtube about OMV and shellinaBox and I also did take a look at the site

https://hub.docker.com/r/sspreitzer/shellinabox

here I did find the text:

Run The Image

For example.

Code
    docker run -p 4200:4200 -e SIAB_PASSWORD=xyz678abc -e SIAB_SUDO=true sspreitzer/shellinabox:latest

so I did fill in the 4200:4200 in portainer under the text Manual network port publishing

host:4200 ---> container: 4200

still if I try to access ShellinaBox with

192.168.0.10:4200

I get an Unable to connect message. I think I am making a total noob mistake and as this is my first try I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help!

Storage is the most relevant aspect of a NAS but its not mentioned in your HW list at all

Mobo is for gaming and has unnecessary gimmicks like SLI & 'built-in RGB illumination' => price for NAS use way too high

About the Motherboard

It has got an Intel network chip

it supports ECC

Yes there are better ones but the costs are much higher Asrock sells a server board for Ryzen CPU's but it costs 100Eu more compared to this one.

I use 2 x a 4 TB WD red drives I did mention this in the start of the thread. I did not mention it in the end because I had no doubt the HD's would not work with OMV but I did had some doubts though the mainboard would work with OMV.

I also will not only use this machine as a NAS but also run VM's like WIN10 etc. And I want to try to run docker things.

I've been using FreeNAS for a while. FreeNas community can be kind mean when it comes to your hardware. They expect people to spend some extra dollars to make something server class. Anyway I'm really new to Openmediavault. But switch over seams like the way to go. Somethings are not as easy to do as FreeNAS Jails. But there are somethings that are way better. After playing around with this for the past week. I have figured out that you don't need nearly as much memory as a FreeNas box to do all the same stuff. Also Im learning that dockers are much better than jails with the OS being on Debian. you have a a lot more options to install. I did learn a little bit though Cause I like using ZFS and Raid pools (that's just me not sure about others here) You should install the Proxmox Kernal before adding the ZFS plug in. I noticed I saw errors at the end of the script during my first few times loading and reloaded. But if I used the Proxmox Kernal before loading that plug in I didn't see those. But so far my hold hardware with a i5 and 16GB ram with 3 driver for ZFS is running good only took me 45 minutes to setup after redoing it several times learning stuff. I don't know what that snap raid is though I was not sure about that one. I was more interested in ZFS personally.

Hey Bizquick,

Why do you prefer ZFS? I have 2 hd's with the old server I did use RAID1. I wonder if it is wise to go to ZFS.

Hello all,

I can confirm the hardware works fine, at least as far I can judge with my knowledge. I did had to change some hardware options because the hardware store had some delivery problems.

current hardware under test:

• Motherboard: ASRock X470 Master SLI (uses Intel LAN chip )
    • SSD: 256 gig Samsung EVO plus (used for OS)
    • AMD Ryzen 5 2600
    • 2 x Micron MTA9ASF2G72AZ-3G2B1 (2 x 16 gig ECC DDR4 3200)
    • Old 240GT video card (CGNX-HG2424I)
    • Ninja 5 CPU cooler

I hope this helps other people interested in a Ryzen build.

I have installed OMV on the M2 ssd and did put a test sata ssd in and I can transfer files etc. Can some one tell me how to perform some other hardware tests before I do mount the HDD's in the case?

Hello all,

I am building an OMV system intended to do more than only file storage. When I did a backup copy of the existing data from the old server I saw the data speed dropping significantly when copying lots of small files. The data speed dropped when copying from the old server over LAN to a "temp backup pc" and it was the same when writing directly from the old server to an USB drive.

The old server has got a mint install with a RAID1 configuration I do not want to spend too much time analyzing the old system as I will hopefully stop using it soon. But I think it would be helpful for me when someone points me in the right direction for the new server, I did read a lot, but some treads seem to be relatively old and with limited knowledge I can not judge which is the right way to go. At this time I did a basic test of OMV on the new hardware and it seems to work I did not attach the HDD's because they are still in the old server.

This is what I did,

I did install OMV on the M2 ssd (which I also hope to use as a HDD cache)

did add a test sdd just to see if OMV works and did put a file share on it.

tested a few big 650 MB files over LAN and they are transferred with about 85 MB/s

while testing the new system I did experience the slow speed for the small files as described above. Then I did read some among this one :

SSD Cache (bcache) for OpenMediaVault?

I think they basically say if you want to speed up copying a lot of small files you need to use ram or a ssd to cache your hd with bcache and only ZF1 can do that. But I could be wrong.

I have got a USB drive for backups which I will store in a different location. I see RAID as an redundancy measure not as a backup.

Hardware available for the system:

mainbord vga card Ryzen cpu

32 gig ECC

2 x 4 TB hdd

1 M2 ssd

a sata SSD (for testing but if I need it I could use it I ques)

for hardware description please see the end of this thread:

Review my NAS configuration (Ryzen, ECC)

So the question is with the hardware I have, what is the best approach for the OMV install? MDADM or ZF1 or something else ? When the hd's are in the new system I really don't want to change the main setup over again, at this time I can still change things.

Hope you can point me in the right direction thanks for the help!!

Now it works. When I did hit escape a few times I got the option to enter a command prompt. Then I tried to remove the partitions with fdisk, this did fail. Then I did try to see if the SSD was mountend already. this was the case. So I did use umnout to unmount the SSD then I did exit the command prompt and I could install OMV. Do not know why the SSD got mounted but anayway now it seems to work. Hope someone can use this text.