Posts by JeremyEm

ok ... i think is better when you install a fresh version of OMV 3

True, but after what seems to be a successful in place upgrade on my DR box, I went ahead and did the same on my production box. Removed all plug-ins, did all available updates, then did the 3.0 upgrade. It went very smooth on the production box and now both seem to be running v3 just fine, and I did not have to re-do my entire configuration on either.

Had the DR box blown up and needed a clean install, I would have just gone that route for both to be safe.

I made a backup of /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99openmediavault-release after noticing that it referenced wheezy, and the 3.0 upgrade kicked off.

After a reboot, I could not log in to the GUI, but I could SSH, and I was getting email notifications stating "Does not exist Service omv-engined"

I did another apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade. It came up with a message about my configuration file '/etc/default/openmediavault" and it recommended I answer N so as to keep my modified file. I chose Y since I had nothing too big to lose. After another reboot, the system isn't kicking any error alerts, the GUI works, and it seems the system is working ok with my config.

Code
    Configuration file '/etc/default/openmediavault'
    ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
    ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
    What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
    Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O : keep your currently-installed version
    D : show the differences between the versions
    Z : start a shell to examine the situation
    The default action is to keep your current version.
    *** openmediavault (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? Y

I did run both the "first" and "second" commands in the order you listed them. When I ran the second sets, I still got the error. I'm not looking forward to a clean install and reconfiguring all my setting and rsync events, but I think that's where I'll end up. I expect the same work on my primary OMV box. This is my DR box.

I ran those commands just now. the sudo apt-get (update and upgrade) and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade come back with

E: The value 'wheezy' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

I tried the not so recommended method of removing my plug-ins and running omg-release-upgrade. It fails with the attached message. Then I notice that my /etc/apt/sources.list file has been updated from wheezy to jessie and any other updates fail.

Is there any issue with using the same boot drive if you're changing your motherboard from an Intel to AMD based system? I have an i3 based system right now, but I am looking at AMD boards now.

I'm moving to a new chassis with 20 SAS/SATA disk slots instead of the 12 SATA model I have now. I'm trying to decide whether to get a new system board and build a new server, or put a new motherboard in the new case, and move my boot and data disks to the new case. The board I have now doesn't have the slots needed for the extra controller I need for the additional drive support.

Nothing to get apparently.

I did a clean load on the primary nas today. Just need to find time to finish my shares, users, and rsync jobs, but the data is all there, safe and sound. I even took the outage as an opportunity to install my new M1015 SAS card and now I can expand and fill out the rest of my hot swap bays with more disks.

I just noticed that my backup server that I upgraded Friday is reporting the kernel as Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64, where the clean build from today is showing Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64.

I would just unplug the data drives leaving just the system drive installed and reinstall in from new ISO. After reinstall shutdown and plug back in data disks. Restart and you are going to have to set up everything again.

But at least my data will be there still. I guess I may have to do the same on my other box too? It's up and running, but if it reboots it won't start the network.

make sure your networking is up 1st:

rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*
    apt-get --reinstall install openmediavault

This thing is a mess.

Worst case I can pull my data disks, pop a new system disk in there (preserve this mess to toy with), and load a clean install with the new ISO for 1.0.

I only have 10 shares, 4 users, and rsync jobs to copy to the DR box. I have it all documented (pretty much).

I still have the ifup error on my DR box too, which means I will need to fix that once the primary is up and solid. I don't want to worry that if it's rebooted, I have to go down and connect to it to create the directory and ifup the interface.

What is output if you try to upgrade?

apt-get upgrade

have u tried removing allow-hotplug? there was a debian bug about this once

I don't see it in there:

Give me results of this:
    dpkg -l | grep openmediavault