Beiträge von vince954

Some updates.

i decided to start over, i got rid of the USB drive that was the system drive, installed OMV6 to an SATA drive. while i loose one drive of storage this is more stable. i suspect the issue is the use of the USB drive on this motherboard.

now that its installed i was able to wipe the drives, create the raid and installed the file system. if this works, i am likely to upgrade to much larger drives to make up for the loss of one.

the question then becomes what to do about the other two servers we have with OMV5 running on an external drive so we can use the hard drives, will i have to redo all these also to upgrade to OMV6?

no problem. i went back and started over, wiped all the drives. noticed a note about the partition table size. so i went and wiped all the drives on a PC and converted them to GPT. then wiped them again on openmediavault, no error this time. So, i went back and created the Raid 5, l it synchronized and applied it. went back to file system and it does not show the drive to create a file system. any ideas? i love openmediavault and use OMV5 on two other devices (yet to upgrade), wish i can use this one as its a faster motherboard but may need some other option if this does not work.

as info, i tried the latest installer 6.0.24 and then 6.0.16 with the same result.

strangely i tried running 5.6.1.3 and got an error when trying to format the drive. it does use a Jmicro usb chip so i wonder if that is an issue here.

resolved. in the end i tried the previous version and it finally was able to run the installation. not sure what caused this but so far so good.

i have two servers running on old Buffalo NAS machines. they are both using an USB Jmicro drive to run the system so i use the hard drives for shares only. i read there is an issue in upgrading when Jmicro usb drives are used. can i upgrade from OMV5 or am i stuck? what is the procedure to upgrade if possible?

trying a new install of openmediavault 6. when i run the installer i get an error past the language selections about kernel not being loaded. the clarification says the version in the installer could be different from the repository. i tried the last two versions from the download page. not a Linux expert so i wanted to mention this in case there is a working installer.

after updates to 5.6.13 yesterday, i get these errors via email from two separate installations.

CRON-APT RUN [/etc/cron-apt/config]: Wed Aug 25 07:37:28 EDT 2021 CRON-APT SLEEP: 3470, Wed Aug 25 08:35:18 EDT 2021 CRON-APT ACTION: 0-update CRON-APT LINE: /usr/bin/apt-get update -o quiet=2

E: Failed to fetch http://linux.teamviewer.com/de…/binary-amd64/Packages.gz File has unexpected size (11205 != 11438). Mirror sync in progress? [IP: 65.8.249.118 80]

Hashes of expected file:

- Filesize:11438 [weak]

- SHA256:63812a1ac3766b349784a2d3214d2f828ccd0f0c48486d903058d60f539b937b

- SHA1:47dbf56116a53965fd64eaa37f394d54efc3ade9 [weak]

- MD5Sum:4108c1029f6d1e10122435e985027a07 [weak]

Release file created at: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:25:36 +0000

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

then when i go to check for updates to see if this is a known bug i get this error in the GUI

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; apt-get update 2>&1' with exit code '100': Get:1 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives InRelease Ign:1 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives InRelease Get:2 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Release Ign:2 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Release Get:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Hit:5 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease Hit:6 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease Get:7 http://linux.teamviewer.com/deb stable InRelease [11.9 kB] Hit:8 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian buster-backports InRelease Hit:9 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease Hit:10 https://openmediavault-plugin-…github.io/packages/debian usul InRelease Get:11 https://download.docker.com/linux/debian buster InRelease [54.0 kB] Hit:12 https://openmediavault-plugin-…github.io/packages/debian usul-extras InRelease Get:13 https://openmediavault.github.io/packages usul InRelease [12.7 kB] Hit:14 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease Get:15 http://linux.teamviewer.com/deb stable/main amd64 Packages [11.4 kB] Err:15 http://linux.teamviewer.com/deb stable/main amd64 Packages File has unexpected size (11205 != 11438). Mirror sync in progress? [IP: 65.8.249.19 80] Hashes of expected file: - Filesize:11438 [weak] - SHA256:63812a1ac3766b349784a2d3214d2f828ccd0f0c48486d903058d60f539b937b - SHA1:47dbf56116a53965fd64eaa37f394d54efc3ade9 [weak] - MD5Sum:4108c1029f6d1e10122435e985027a07 [weak] Release file created at: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:25:36 +0000 Fetched 78.6 kB in 6s (13.9 kB/s) Reading package lists... E: Failed to fetch http://linux.teamviewer.com/de…/binary-amd64/Packages.gz File has unexpected size (11205 != 11438). Mirror sync in progress? [IP: 65.8.249.19 80] Hashes of expected file: - Filesize:11438 [weak] - SHA256:63812a1ac3766b349784a2d3214d2f828ccd0f0c48486d903058d60f539b937b - SHA1:47dbf56116a53965fd64eaa37f394d54efc3ade9 [weak] - MD5Sum:4108c1029f6d1e10122435e985027a07 [weak] Release file created at: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:25:36 +0000 E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

The kernel is arguably the most important package to update for security yet auto updates without rebooting means the update has no effect. On sbc boards, there is no backup kernel in case of a bad update. And people using compiled modules can really have problems.

openssl is probably the next important one. And once again, typically unless you restart the service using it, your update is meaningless.

Your security views are very Windows-based which are very different from a non-desktop, no browser, headless NAS not serving content on the internet. If you are doing the latter, then you should be patching regular and not just relying on automatic security updates.

as you suggested i rebooted and ran updates again, nothing new and i am now at 5.6.6-1 will report if i have more errors, i guess its purdent to do a reboot from time to time, should this be scheduled?

vince954

Have you tried the above yet? (Updating under System, Update Management?) If you have OMV-Extras installed, the same can be done in the GUI under System, OMV-Extras, clicking the Updates Button and selecting omv-update. Under Diagnostics, System Information, you want to be updated to OMV 5.6.5-2

tried that but got an error result, tried to copy the log but could not for some reason. the log window seems to reload every few seconds.

i have my omv install set to notify me of errors. not an expert user so please bear with me. i keep getting the below error when an auto update is run.

The following packages are already downloaded and ready to install. Security packages are installed automatically. Please go to the 'System | Update Management' page in the web interface or run 'omv-update' from the CLI to install non-security packages finally.

You have received this notification because you have enabled software update notifications on this host. To change your notification preferences, please go to the 'System | Notification' page in the web interface.

CRON-APT RUN [/etc/cron-apt/config]: Tue May 4 07:38:42 EDT 2021 CRON-APT SLEEP: 2490, Tue May 4 08:20:12 EDT 2021 CRON-APT ACTION: 3-download CRON-APT LINE: /usr/bin/apt-get dist-upgrade -d -y -o APT::Get::Show-Upgraded=true Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

Calculating upgrade...

The following packages will be upgraded:

bind9-host libbind9-161 libdns-export1104 libdns1104 libisc-export1100

libisc1100 libisccc161 libisccfg163 liblwres161

9 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

1 not fully installed or removed.

Need to get 0 B/4299 kB of archives.

After this operation, 41.0 kB disk space will be freed.

Download complete and in download only mode

The following security packages have been installed automatically.

CRON-APT ACTION: 5-openmediavault-security CRON-APT LINE: /usr/bin/apt-get --option quiet=1 --option APT::Get::List-Cleanup=false --option Dir::Etc::SourceList=/etc/apt/sources.list --option Dir::Etc::SourceParts="/dev/null" --option DPkg::Options::=--force-confold dist-upgrade --yes --option APT::Get::Show-Upgraded=true Reading package lists...

Calculating upgrade...

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.

Setting up grub-pc (2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u4) ...

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-JMicron_Tech_DD56419883893-0:0 does not exist, so cannot grub-install to it!

You must correct your GRUB install devices before proceeding:

DEBIAN_FRONTEND=dialog dpkg --configure grub-pc

dpkg --configure -a

dpkg: error processing package grub-pc (--configure):

installed grub-pc package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing:

grub-pc

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

i am still getting these errors. if i go to updates manually then i dont see updates as if they were done. i am worried that i am getting these errors, is there a way to fix this?

The following packages are already downloaded and ready to install. Security packages are installed automatically. Please go to the 'System | Update Management' page in the web interface or run 'omv-update' from the CLI to install non-security packages finally.

You have received this notification because you have enabled software update notifications on this host. To change your notification preferences, please go to the 'System | Notification' page in the web interface.

CRON-APT RUN [/etc/cron-apt/config]: Tue May 4 07:38:42 EDT 2021 CRON-APT SLEEP: 2490, Tue May 4 08:20:12 EDT 2021 CRON-APT ACTION: 3-download CRON-APT LINE: /usr/bin/apt-get dist-upgrade -d -y -o APT::Get::Show-Upgraded=true Reading package lists...

Calculating upgrade...

The following packages will be upgraded:

bind9-host libbind9-161 libdns-export1104 libdns1104 libisc-export1100

libisc1100 libisccc161 libisccfg163 liblwres161

9 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 0 B/4299 kB of archives.

After this operation, 41.0 kB disk space will be freed.

Download complete and in download only mode

The following security packages have been installed automatically.

CRON-APT ACTION: 5-openmediavault-security CRON-APT LINE: /usr/bin/apt-get --option quiet=1 --option APT::Get::List-Cleanup=false --option Dir::Etc::SourceList=/etc/apt/sources.list --option Dir::Etc::SourceParts="/dev/null" --option DPkg::Options::=--force-confold dist-upgrade --yes --option APT::Get::Show-Upgraded=true Reading package lists...

Calculating upgrade...

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-JMicron_Tech_DD56419883893-0:0 does not exist, so cannot grub-install to it!

dpkg --configure -a

installed grub-pc package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing:

grub-pc

i have seen this error via email the last couple of days, not an expert so please be gentle. any ideas?

CRON-APT RUN [/etc/cron-apt/config]: Tue Apr 13 07:35:17 EDT 2021 CRON-APT SLEEP: 991, Tue Apr 13 07:51:48 EDT 2021 CRON-APT ACTION: 5-openmediavault-security CRON-APT LINE: /usr/bin/apt-get --option quiet=1 --option APT::Get::List-Cleanup=false --option Dir::Etc::SourceList=/etc/apt/sources.list --option Dir::Etc::SourceParts="/dev/null" --option DPkg::Options::=--force-confold dist-upgrade --yes --option APT::Get::Show-Upgraded=true Reading package lists...

Calculating upgrade...

dpkg --configure -a

grub-pc

We had two disk failure on our terastation pro. could not recover them so our tech wiped the disks thinking we could rebuild the system. Turns out you need at least one drive as windows storage server is installed on it. buffalo would not supply a recovery usb saying they supply when new and to get another you would have to pay and prove you are the original purchaser. i have no such records so i was out of luck.

Doing research i decided to try OMV. i used an external USB ssd as the system disk so all the 4 drives are now on a raid 5 configuration with some 11tb of space. works great, much faster than the other buffalo NAS that i have. only modificaiton was the external drive and i still have to figure out some sort of fan speed control. the display only says boot to usb as its controlled by bios, no biggie.

:)