Posts by ErikUden

Dear readers,

I have recently installed the itzg's Docker version of Minecraft! However, when I look at the resources it consumes, the amount of RAM the docker container uses always equals the exact environment variable that specifies how much I allow it to use, even if it doesn't use that much!

When I run docker stats minecraft I yield the following result:

The environment variable that specifies the amount of RAM Minecraft is allowed to use looks like this in Portainer:

So, it becomes obvious that according to OMV this Docker container always uses all the resources that it is allowed to use.

I know that Minecraft is using far less resources through monitoring tools that I have installed on the server!

So, why is this? Is it an issue with Docker? Is this the way Docker allocates RAM to a container? Is there a way to prevent this, maybe by specifying heap sizes?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Hello!

I wanted to restart my OpenMediaVault Server every day automatically, since it doesn't take much time and often fixes many issues. However, something went horribly wrong this night and I do not know why. I am unable to restart the server via SSH or the web interface properly! Whenever the server restarts it won't be accessible via SSH or the web interface nor will any of its services start and I must manually force turn it off to restart it. Here's my log from tonight when it tried to restart to this morning at 5:30 were I restarted it manually!

log.txt

I have tried running updates and upgrades etc. what I haven't tried, however, is re-installing OpenMediaVault because I am not certain what to expect!

Code
    apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault

What would I have to do were I to try this? What configurations would I need to set up again? I have many users and shares on my server, can I export their user lists? I use OMV-extras with Docker and have many docker containers, would those need to be set up as well? If someone finds a solution to my current problem that'd be preferable, but if I need to reinstall the entirety of OpenMediaVault I'd prefer to know what that really means or if there are ways to make it easier (e.g. backups from which you can restore everything).

Sincerely

Erik

Hello everyone!

I'd like to give FTP access to many members of my family, and I can do that easily with ACL and access rights management tools, however I'd like to give everyone a different default Root if that is possible.

Currently I have everything set up in a way where when you log in using the correct FTP credentials all you can see is a folder with your name and inside of that are your files.

I'd like to have it set up that for this user specifically the default root home directory are the insides of that folder, if possible.

This way it becomes less obvious that there are other folders in the actual root directory etc.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I am an idiot. I simply installed the "Intel i965 driver" by typing

Code
    sudo apt install i965-va-driver

and then vainfo should return something like:

Jellyfin now tells me that:

Which is quite cool.

The issue is that I get insane frame bugs. Something within the decoding must go extremely wrong, here's an example:

This is horrendous, any ideas on how to fix?

I've run into a bit of an issue since I do not know what VAAPI drivers to install

https://01.org/linuxmedia/vaapi

I have the Intel Celeron N4100 CPU which has the integrated graphics card "Intel UHD Graphics 600"

I installed vainfo yet whenever I run it on my main server CLI I get this:

The Jellyfin Docker environment seems to have everything set up the right way:

Jellyifin.org says I'll need to follow the relevant documentation which needs drivers to be installed. I don't know what drivers I need since my CPU is a "Gemini Lake" from 2017, meaning Goldmont Plus. It's part of the Atom roadmap. Skylake, which is mentioned in the documentation, is from 2015. Everything after that requires also "linux-firmware," yet I do not know what I require in the first place. VAINFO probably does this because I have no drivers installed, but I do not know what drivers I need. Can you help me with this?

Thank you so much! I am an idiot, I thought "HW Transcoding" was its own thing, sorry. Since QuickSync requires VAAPI to work anyway, and Jellyfin also has VAAPI as an option , there really is no need to set QuickSync up with all the complications it has.

I will do the above and post my issues if I encounter any, if I encounter none, I will tell everyone that it works (which it most likely will)

Yeah, sorry! Wanted to do that yesterday, but also had lots of FTP uploads happening at the same time and I didn't want to disrupt that. But, good news:

When I turned on the server today and then looked at Jellyfin about a minute later (I know the script said 30 seconds, but that was for the entirety of Docker) everything worked! It did not act like a new setup and all the directories, including my config directory, seem to have mounted correctly!

Thank you so much everyone!

I've tried all the options provided to me, yet whenever I turn the hardware accelerated transcoding option with Intel Quick Sync on, no video will play. These are all video devices that root can detect, but they are either not mounted to the docker container, or need more configuration

Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor = Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4100 CPU @ 1.10GHz

Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 605 = Integrated Graphics Card

I added

Code
    devices:
    - /dev/dri:/dev/dri

to my Jellyfin stack and re-deployed it.

I also installed a mod called Jellyfin-opencl-intel with this under the environment variables part of the stack:

Code
    - DOCKER_MODS=linuxserver/mods:jellyfin-opencl-intel

Now, obviously this isn't everything I need to do, as can be read here

But I'm really not that sure what all I need to do...

Within Jellyfin there seems to be already a folder titled "ffmpeg"

How do I find its version via the CLI so that I can confirm that it is older than specified?

The tutorial linked above says that:

1. QSV is based on VAAPI device on Linux, so please confirm whether you have completed the VAAPI configuration first

Does this mean that I'll have to add VAAPI devices to my portainer stack as described here?

Also, the "Acceleration on Docker" section says that the render group may need to be added to the docker permissions. Do I do this with "group_add:" and then the ID that I find at /etc/group/render?

The documentation also talks about configuring VAAPI acceleration for Debian, will I need to do that too?

The reason why I was so confused about the links, is because they both talk about wildly different things that I need to do in order to configure it correctly.

Linuxserver.io, whom I have the Jellyfin image from, says that I'll only have to add the

Code
    --device /dev/dri

Code in order to get it all running, but they also mention VAAPI, yet

jellyfin.org says that I'll have to configure:

1. Acceleration on Docker

(for which I'll need to find the render group ID and add it to the stack with group_add:

2. Maybe OpenCL Accelerated Tone Mapping?? I don't know

3. VAAPI acceleration on Debian/Ubuntu

(by doing a lot)

4. Configuring Intel QuickSync on Debian/Ubuntu

(which requires VAAPI)

I'm just very confused what I'll actually need to do. But as far as I understand it, I'll need to do whatever Jellyfin.org says on the CLI on OMV and then just mount all of that to the Docker image (with the few steps the Docker configuration explained) so that docker can use it.

Is that correct, or did I misunderstand something?

In you use the linuxserver docker for Jellyfin Intel HW transcoding should work without any extra measures. Lots on this in the Reddit Jellyfin forum.

What is Intel HW transcoding? All my options on the standard Playback transcoding menu are:

-None

-AMD AMF

-INTEL QUICK SYNC

-MediaCodec Android

-OpenMAX OMX

-Nvidia NVENC

-Video Acceleration API

-Exynos V4L2 MFC

-Video Toolbox

It's best to give Jellyfin read only access to your media shares (maybe Plex also but I don't use it). If you haven't then do so. It then stores its metadata etc in its own config files and database so less likely to interfere with another media playing system.

Well, Jellyfin creates awesome metadata that I believe Plex should use sometimes, and so far both services worked fine as seperate docker containers, yet when I restarted the server (the OMV not the container) they acted like none of the media existed.

Running both is simple, just run two different docker containers, pointed at different configs, but pointed at the same media library... just make sure there is no port issues between them.

They are pointed at different configs, yet I believe that for some reason whenever I restart both services cannot find the drive. It is an external drive, could it be that containers start up before the system recognizes the existance of external drives?

While that is certainly good advice to follow (with all of them, Plex, Emby, and Jellyfin).. I don't think that's his issue. I suspect when he rebooted, docker is starting before his storage drives are mounted... but given the fact he provided exactly zero information about his hardware/software setup, I can only speculate

I believe this must have been the reason. I edited the stack details and updated it, making it remount to all the volumes. Now it appears to be working, but I don't know if it'll continue to work once I reboot the server again.

Thank you! This helped a lot.

In you use the linuxserver docker for Jellyfin Intel HW transcoding should work without any extra measures. Lots on this in the Reddit Jellyfin forum.

I don't use yellyfin, but in general to execute a shell in the container from your ssh connection to OMV:

docker exec -it <container_name> bash

https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/exec/

Have a wonderful new year's eve!

Hello!

I've recently deployed a Jellyfin portainer stack (exactly as shown in this video) and afterwards shut down the server by typing "shutdown" in the CLI. Now I am presented with the Jellyfin setup after the server started up again: why did this happen; do you have any ideas on how to prevent this?

Also, additional question: I'm trying to set up Plex and Jellyfin servers since one device that I am planning to stream this media to doesn't have a working Jellyfin program for it, is that possible? I've set up a Plex Server the other day and it worked perfectly, but now that I've mounted the same shared folders to also be accessible for Jellyfin and set up Jellyfin yesterday, I am getting a weird error when starting Plex! It says, "Please check that the file exists and the necessary drive is mounted." I know for a fact that the drive was mounted before mounting it also to Jellyfin, could it be that a shared folder can only be mounted once? Although it's ab SMB share and open to anyone! I do not understand.

TL; DR: How to stop Jellyfin from resetting itself after a restart (and how to set up Plex and Jellyfin simultaneously)?