Posts by mike02

No, depends on the flash drive, computers are smart enough to locate where a boot loader is,

Apparently not. When both USB drives are plugged into the USB-3 ports, the computer apparently only sees that the 5 TB USB drive is not bootable, does not look at the other (bootable) USB device and tries/tried to boot from the internal hdd (when this was still set in the BIOS).

I looked into the BIOS (and may post photos if you like). Even if I disabled to boot from the internal hdd (only USB devices were enabled to boot), OMV did not boot as long as the 5 TB USB drive was attached!

The computer has 6 USB ports. Two of them are USB-3. My two USB devices were connected on these USB-3 ports. No matter which of the USB-3 ports has been used by the 5 TB USB drive, OMV did not boot as long the 32 GB USB stick was plugged in the other USB-3 port.

However, if I plug the 32 GB USB stick into an USB-2 port, then OMV booted correctly even when the 5 TB USB drive is plugged into an USB-3 port.

That's an odd behaviour, isn't?

Do you think it can be fixed with a new installation of OMV?

Thanks guys for your explanations and help!

In my last post I asked a "wrong" question: The question is not why OMV prefers to boot the 5 TB USB drive (which is not bootable) instead to boot from the 32 GB bootable USB stick. I asked the wrong question because OMV never tried to boot from the 5 TB USB drive. Instead, OMV tries to boot from the internal hdd as soon as the external 5 TB USB drive is attached. Since the internal hdd is not bootable anymore, OMV halts on reboot as long as the 5 TB USB drive is attached.

So this means I might solve the issue by configuring the BIOS that the internal drive has to be excluded from boot. However, I'm still wondering why my current configuration is not working (also crashtest confirmed, that it should work since he is using a similar configuration). I may reinstall OMV just to be sure that I can reproduce the issue - or not. Maybe OMV got messed up somewhere.

Don't worry about the screenshot: I just edited the properties of the shared resource to try to delete it afterwards - but the delete button is still grayed out and I don't see by what it's referenced.

Once mounted the 5 TB USB drive, I can reset the properties of the shared resource to point it to its former device (see screenshot). So the names are now consistent but the delete button is still disabled because OMV thinks it's referenced - but by what? Is there a way to find this out?

Btw. I already switched both USB ports but it did not solve the issue. :-(

- First, wipe the 500gb internal drive so the OMV installation that still exists on it doesn't interfere when you try to boot up on the thumb-drive.

Yes, I already wiped the 500 GB internal hdd (as I wrote above already).

Of course, I could still rebuild OMV but I don't see the difference of what I did previously. Why should OMV behave differently then? Only because the internal 500 GB hdd has been wiped and is not bootable anymore or because the 5 TB usb drive has been wiped?

I also don't see how I could solve the issue by altering the bios because USB has to be booted first since OMV is installed on a USB stick. The question is why OMV prefers the 5 TB USB drive (which is not bootable) instead to boot from the 32 GB bootable USB stick.

could the problem be your bios is set to boot usb devices first.

The bios has to be set to boot usb device first because OMV is installed on the 32 GB USB stick (as I wrote above already).

Well, I finally wiped the 5 TB USB drive, gave it a short label, formatted it as ext4 partition and executed update-grub as crashtest suggested. However, OMV did not reboot as long as the 5TB usb drive was attached :-(

So I followed the second suggestion from crashtest, wiped the internal 500 GB drive, gave it a short label, formatted it as ext4 partition and executed update-grub. However, OMV did still not reboot as long as the 5TB usb drive was attached :-(

I wonder also why OMV is stating that there is still a shared folder (see screenshot) even though I removed all shares. How can I know why OMV thinks that the shared folder is still referenced (and by what's referenced)?.

PS: as you can see in the screenshot, I edited the device of the shared folder from its former 5TB USB drive to the internal drive. That's why name and device don't match anymore. However, even after reattributing a new device, I'm unable to remove the share.

Creating the file system succeeded as well:

I guess it will take some time to format 5 TB. I keep you up to date. Thanks so far for your help!

Wiping succeeded eventually after having mounted and unmounted the 5 TB USB drive several times.

PS: Yes, your comment reminds me that I also removed a samba share. Maybe that was the reason that OMV stated "drive is busy" and refused to wipe it.

OMV did not succeed wiping the 5 TB USB drive, no matter if it's mounted or unmounted:

Code
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; blockdev --rereadpt '/dev/sdc' 2>&1' with exit code '1': blockdev: ioctl error on BLKRRPART:
    Device or resource busy in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc:297
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): Engined\Rpc\DiskMgmt->Engined\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatuswh...', '/tmp/bgoutputO5...')
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc(301): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\DiskMgmt->wipe(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('wipe', Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('DiskMgmt', 'wipe', Array, Array, 1)
    #6 {main}

What do I wrong?

Sounds good, thanks for the suggestion! However, OMV never booted from the newly attached 5 TB USB drive. OMV (wrongly) booted from the internal 500 GB hdd but should have booted from the 32 USB stick.

However, if I understand you correctly, you think that the 5 TB USB hdd might have messed up the boot sequence so that OMV got booted from the internal 500 GB hdd instead of the 32 GB USB stick, right?

The format of the 5 TB external USB drive is ntfs.

When I attached it the first time, OMV could not mount it because its label contained spaces. I had some difficulties to remove the spaces from the label but finally succeeded. Here is what I did:

Now, when I boot up OMV without having attached the external drive, OMV is able to mount it through its web interface without problems now.

However, the initial problem, for which I opened this thread, still remains.

Hi guys,

I have a problem booting OMV when an external USB drive is connected and need your guidance.

I first installed OMV on the internal hdd (500 GB) of an old PC. When I learned that OMV can't use the remaining space on the internal hdd for my personal data because OMV reserves the whole disk for itself, I installed OMV on a 32 GB USB stick. By doing this, OMV could mount the internal hdd as a data store for my personal data. Some days later, I mounted an external 5 TB USB hard drive for my backups. Everything worked fine until I needed to restart OMV. After restart, the old OMV installation on the internal hdd got booted instead of OMV installation of the USB stick!

I might solve this issue by going into the boot menu in order to deactivate the internal hdd to be booted from but since my OMV-PC is headless (it has no monitor, no keyboard and no mouse), I wanted to solve the issue just via ssh shell.

I came across of this post, which finally just suggests to run update-grub but this didn't solve my issue. As soon as I attached my external 5 TB USB hdd, OMV will boot from the internal hdd instead of the 32 GB USB stick.

Since this did not solve the issue, I removed the bootable flag from the internal hdd (see instructions how I proceeded). However, OMV still booted from the internal hdd as long as the external 5 TB USB drive was attached.

So I made a backup of the master boot record (mbr) of the internal hdd. Then I deleted the mbr without its partition tables of the internal hdd (see instructions how I proceeded). Now, OMV did not boot any longer as long as the external 5 TB USB hdd is attached.

Here are all occurrences of sd from my grub config:

Here are my block devices when OMV booted correctly from the 32 GB USB stick (the 5TB USB hdd has been mounted after boot):

Here are my block devices when OMV booted incorrectly from the 500 GB internal hdd (the 5TB USB hdd was attached during boot):

I'd be glad to know how I have to configure OMV so that it always boots from the 32 GB USB stick. Thanks in advance for your help!