Beiträge von Beddhist

Thank you for your time and trouble. I have wasted enough of that now.

Your approach is to avoid the device files changing. Mine is that it's a fact of life, Linux handles it elegantly and OMV doesn't.

I have also come to the realisation that OMV is like a black box: only very few people know what goes on inside. So, I have gone to #6.

I still think that OMV is a brilliant piece of software for certain users and their machines.

Thanks again and have a nice day. :)

Yes, but the issue remains: I reboot, the device names change, Linux is fine with that, but OMV falls over. The device names do not change while the system is running, if that's what you were thinking.

I "think" that this is put into the identifier field. Probably sth. like upsname@hostname. There is a link to the docs visible in your screenshot. I can't click on that. ;)

It's at the bottom of your picture: you enable remote monitoring, which makes this OMV machine a master or server. Conversely, if at the top you choose 'netclient' then this machine becomes a client that connects to a remote NUT server. I guess the identifier field then takes the name of both ups and remote host. Details should be in the docu link.

The ups by definition, is always connected to the NUT server, never the client.

Am I making sense?

Thanks for the explanations. Just a couple of observations:

During boot the system tries to mount the commented swap partition anyway. I don't know whether this is a GPT partion, but the drive is only 240GB. I haven't touched it after the reinstall and I'm now not going to any more.

I understand what all the uuid stuff is for, but I don't see where grub comes in now. I don't have a problem with booting. Fact is, I added a disk to the system and that changed the system drive to not be sda any more. Linux has no problem with that, but OMV does. Reproducable. Why is that not a bug?

When I started building this I consciously connected the system drive to the first port on the mobo. I don't know why the sequence changed and why, after hot-plugging all the drives it changes no more through reboots. There seems to be some randomness in it.

If I recall correctly, you ( Agricola) have recently posted a screenshot of your config and there are userid and password for client NUT.

PacoPP: You don't say whether your RasPi is running OMV, but the NUT plugin cannot be run in client mode. You need to install NUT from the repo instead and it comes with somewhat cryptic info how to configure it. The Pi needs to be setup as client to poll the server, with matching ups name, userid and password.

It probably doesn't matter for you, but be aware that there are two different NUT protocols, an old and a new and it will come as a complete surprise to everybody that they are incompatible. I have the old version running here, with a QNAP NAS as master and another QNAP and a Windows PC as slaves. But they are using the old protocol, so there is no point in me posting config files here.

Normally it is not necessary to edit /etc/fstab in order to remove the swap partition for the flash media plugin. This step is noticed as "optional".

Even WITH all the changes I made at reboot there was an error message saying it couldn't find the swap partition and turning on swap had failed. I'm confused: if I don't remove the swap partition, at the next boot swap will be back on. With 32GB RAM I reckon I will not need any swap.

What exactly should I do to turn it off?

Thanks,

Peter. :)

I found a temporary workaround: rebooted with only the system drive connected. As I expected, the phantom partition is gone, or back to being the system partition, depending on how you look at it. Everything is good.

Now I hot-plugged the remaining 4 drives and they all show up with their file systems, without having to do anything. All can be mounted and unmounted ok.

Contrary to what I expected, even after a reboot all is still well. sda is still the system drive. So I tried a cold boot and it's still good.

Now my problem is that I don't trust this any more. Once I migrate my applications to this it has to be available 24/7. I'm afraid that any time a reboot may shuffle the device files around again and disable adding/removing drives.

I wonder what can make the device files change and why OMV seems to have a problem with it. I'm not the only one, there is at least one other topic in this forum discussing the same problem.

Where to from here...?

I did have a full backup, made with the omv-backup plugin using rsync. Turns out the problem already existed, probably did from the moment I plugged in more than one drive right at the start. That's how it happened this time round, too.

At least I can say now that the error is reproducable. Looks to me as if I can't use OMV with my hardware, at least until the bug is fixed.

It looks like I have run into a bug in OMV:

Shut down.

Connect 2nd HD. This is on a plug-in card, the system disk is connected to the main board.

System disk sda has now become sdb.

2nd HD is sda.

OMV doesn't like it and the phantom partition has re-appeared:

Now what do I do? I'm afraid the next step will be to install Mint. I know it works.

Thanks for your replies, folks. The restore made it worse: the phantom partition returned. I just disconnected all drives and re-installed.

During the install there were more problems:

First round, a bunch of console errors and the HD inaccessible.

Reboot and all that was good, now DHCP refused to work. Ended up skipping it and looking at a long Debian install menu, from where I chose 'detect NIC hardware' (no message, quickly back at the menu), then DHCP again and this time it worked. Plain sailing from here on.

I made one small, but significant change: set a root password. Previously I didn't and it disabled grub recovery boot and the system rescue CD. (Nasty trap for noobs!)

I'm now going to add the drives one by one and see how we go.

Update: I don't know what else to try, so I manually mounted the partition. Worked and shows in OMV. OMV can unmount it, but trying to mount it again results in the message:

Error #0: OMV\Exception: Removing the directory '/' has been aborted, the resource is busy. in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/fstab.inc:65 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: Engined\Module\FSTab->deleteEntry(Array) #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/engine/module/moduleabstract.inc(157): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/fstab.inc(31): OMV\Engine\Module\ModuleAbstract->execTasks('delete') #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(164): Engined\Module\FSTab->preDeploy() #4 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChanges(Array, Array) #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array) #7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(909): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChanges', Array, Array) #8 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->mount(Array, Array) #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('mount', Array, Array) #11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('FileSystemMgmt', 'mount', Array, Array, 1) #12 {main}

OKHide details

Followed by several more generic ones, detail "Bad Gateway". After clicking away serveral of these, so I can copy the above text there was a beep and it rebooted. What follows I only know too well: login, question Apply/Revert. Before I revert the disk is shown as unmounted, as it is after the revert.

Time for a system restore?

Yep, similar story for me: had a phantom file system with mount point /. Trying to delete it through the GUI threw error. Removed it from config.xml, which made it go away.

The next FS I created throws the "error unmounting /", followed by "bad gateway" every 10 secs. As soon as I OK the first error the system reboots, then asks me to confirm changes. If I confirm it goes back into the "bad gateway" loop, if I revert everything looks good, but can't mount my new FS.

I've created my own topic for this, but just wanted to put that here to confirm that there seems to be a bug.

Hi, I'm a noob with OMV, but have played with Linux for 30 years. I have just set up a new server with OMV 5.

The install went smoothly and all connected disks were recognised. I wiped one HD and created a new ext4 FS and backed up my system to that. Then I installed the flash media plugin and followed its instructions on how to remove the swap partition. I also connected another drive, wiped it and created a new ext4 FS.

Shortly after that I noticed a phantom partition /dev/sda2, supposedly mounted on / and shown as missing. Any attempt to either delete this from the GUI or to create another FS resulted in the GUI throwing errors every few minutes.

After reboot I got the message that my config had changed and did I want to save it. Clicking Save sent the GUI back into the tailspin of continuous errors. After another reboot I answered the Save? question by clicking Revert and I was back where I started.

After reading some other similar topics I edited /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. There I found and deleted the entry for this phantom FS and it disappeared. I can now create another FS, but all its sizes show as "n/a" and attempting to mount it results in these errors:

Removing the directory '/' has been aborted, the resource is busy.

Followed every 10 secs by

An error has occurred.

Details:

Shortly after I Ok the 1st error OMV rebooted without further messages. Upon logging in again I'm asked to save the changes, which I chose to revert. I'm now back to square one with an FS that OMV doesn't want to mount.

Somehow, the OMV internal config regarding partitions seems to have been damaged. How can I reset this?

Thanks,

Peter.

I had almost the same problem here, but in my case I had a phantom partition /dev/sda2, also supposedly mounted on / and shown as missing. Any attempt to either delete this from the GUI or to create another FS resulted in the GUI throwing errors every few minutes.

After reboot I got the message that my config had changed and did I want to save it. Clicking Save sent the GUI back into the tailspin of continuous errors. After another reboot I answered the Save? question by clicking Revert and I was back where I started.

After reading some other similar topics I edited /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. There I found and deleted the entry for this phantom FS and it disappeared. I can now create FSs again.

The problem started either after adding a disk with an existing FS, or after following the instructions for the flash media plugin to disable and remove the swap partition.

I'm putting this here in case somebody else with this problem stumbles across this topic.

Edit: I was praising the day too soon. The FS was created without errors, but all sizes are shown as n/a. Attempting to mount the new FS results first in:

Removing the directory '/' has been aborted, the resource is busy.

Followed every 10 secs by

<html><head><title>502 Bad Gateway</title></head><body bgcolor="white"><center><h1>502 Bad Gateway</h1></center><hr><center>nginx</center></body></html><!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --><!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --><!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --><!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --><!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --><!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page -->

Shortly after I Ok the 1st error OMV reboots without further messages. Upon logging in again I'm asked to save the changes, which I chose to revert.

How can I restore sanity?

When I installed my new OMV 2 days ago, during the install I opted for a blank root password, so root login is disabled and a sudo user a/c was created. I then spent a few hours trying to figure out why I could not connect to any smb shares. The penny almost dropped when I was successful with the admin user.

It looks like the new user's password is not sync'ed with Samba. Once I updated the password in the GUI everything magically worked.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi all,

I'm new to OMV, but not Linux. Trying to install Virtualbox, working through the guide. Everything went well until I got to installing php7.3-soap:

Can somebody please help me fix this?

Thanks,

Peter.