Beiträge von scarappypappy

In any case, at this moment it is not recommended to install 32-bit anymore, it is starting to be obsolete and causing too many problems. Better 64 bits if the hardware allows it.

I am running RPI 4 using the 32 bit OS for since last Dec but have started having problems. Is there a way to do an upgrade to the 64 bit OS or must it be a fresh install from scratch?

Sorry to ask this but I am new enough to Linux and OMV that I am confused. I am currently running on an RPi4, Debian Buster and OMV 5.6.xx, bares bones OMV no extras. Works solid for over a year with zero issues.

1. For OMV 6 - do I need to upgrade to Bullseye?

2. For the update process shown in this thread will it update my linux version to bullseye as well or only do the OMV 5 --> 6 upgrade?

3. If I need to update to bullseye as seperate process I assume I should just follow the process for a new install shown on the wiki at https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…omv6:raspberry_pi_install. Is that correct?

Thanks, Pat

I'm still relatively new to Linux and OMV so I hope you can provide me with some more information here. I looked up on the OMV document site at: https://openmediavault.readthe…o/en/5.x/various/apt.html

and looked at the command for omv-upgrade. From the webpage I understand that omv-upgrade executes the command:

Code
     apt-get update && apt-get –yes –force-yes –fix-missing –auto-remove –allow-unauthenticated –show-upgraded –option DPkg::Options::=“–force-confold” dist-upgrade

Now when we look at the options and based on what is online description of apt-get:

-yes is the same option I was warned against using

-force-yes says it is very dangerous to use this and can potentially destroy your system

-fix-missing appears to be to ignore missing or corrupted package files - OK

-autoremove OK I get this

-allow-unauthenticated Ignore if packages cannot be authenticated - seems dangerous

-show-upgraded OK this makes sense

-option DPkg::Options::="-force-confold" No idea what this does

dist-upgrade It appears upgrade blindly does the upgrade while dist-upgrade appears to add some intelligence to the upgrade process to try and prevents conflicts between packages.

So what I am trying to understand here is the warning from the forum that using apt-get upgrade -y is dangerous, so I should use, if I want to use a CLI, omv-upgrade. However omv-upgrade also uses the -y and it appears to be some other dangerous options such as -force-yes, -allow-unauthenticated.

If you could further explain, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks Macom, after reading up now on symlinks, I see how that would help in using the CLI with Putty.

Since I don't have lot invested in this at this time and could start over is there a way during the original setup where I could just set this up using Labels instead of UUID? I ask because last fall when I was just starting to play with this on a Raspberry Pi3 and OMV5 it actually set it up using Labels vice UUID, mounted as srv/DataFiles. However, this time it used UUID and I don't remember doing anything different - just followed the guide.

I am rather new to Linux and Open Media Vault, this is my first post. I am running OMV5 on a Raspberry Pi 4 using Debian Buster, with a Samsung 1TB SSD, and occasionally with a 2TB External USB HD to backup the NAS data.

When OMV was installed it automatically setup the the harddrives mount by using the UUID vice the Label name of the drive. I would like to change this to mounting by Label. I have since read a whole bunch of stuff online about why using UUID is better than using the Label (and I understand them), but since this is a very modest home based NAS, I don't think the reasons for using UUID versus label really apply here as it will only ever have the one SSD installed and occasionally the external hard drive. So I want to change from UUID to the Label NASData to identify my drives and their path.

I'm hoping the change is as simple as the following:

First note that:

a. /dev/disk/by-UUID has the following line (xx's replace actual values):

xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx -> ../../sda1

b. and /dev/disk/by-label already has the following line:

NASData -> ../../sda1

1. In OpenMedia Vault unmount the SSD;

2. Using Putty:

a. create new folder: mkdir /srv/NASData

b. then edit etc/fstab and change the line from mount by UUID to mount by Label.

(this is the line originally created by Open Media Vault)

/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2

I suspect I want to change it to the following:

LABEL=NASData /srv/NASData ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2

4. Save fstab

5. Reboot

6. Go back in OMV and:

a. under Disks find the new Disk by label

b. under Filesystems find the new disk and Mount it

c. under Shared Folders add the folders

d. under SMB/CIFS and then Shares Tab add the shared folders as reqd.

Then voila all is working again.

Repeat for the External Harddrive.

At the end I am hoping to to have new folder with the much easier to type label NASData that I can access all the folders on the hard drive vice the current dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx .

Is it as easy as this or is there an easier way within OMV? Did I miss any steps? Am I outta my mind if I think this is easy?

Thanks for any help, Pat.:)