Posts by godzinilla

Yes.

It is basically the Ubuntu LTS kernel. I run it on every amd64 system of mine. So, yes, I think it is better. If you use zfs, it definitely is.

Thank you for your advice and your help :) I am really appreciate that! I will try the proxmox sonn too :)

I have the same issue, but I'm a bit confused what grub has to do with that. Would it be possible to summarize what actual steps led to your success?
    I've not changed anything with grub what-so-ever, but my boot disk isn't sda. It's sdb for an unknown reason.

I have messed up my grub somewhere between upgrading of a system and installing nvidia drivers. We have just verifying if grub is correct.

Look at the post #6 of this thread:

If it did not work for you, the sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64 finally helped me.

That looks good too. Now, sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64

Finally something has changed:

And in the OMV/Kernel menu:

Code
    root@baranki:~# sudo update-grub
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    done

And now I am sucessfuly botted to the new kernel :)

Old kernels may be safely removed now, right?

What about the proxmox Kernel available from OMV/Kernel menu? Is it better?

Look at the contents of your /boot. grub is doing exactly what it should. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep linux-image

Code
    root@baranki:~# dpkg -l | grep linux-image
    ic  linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-amd64     5.10.46-4~bpo10+1              amd64        Linux 5.10 for 64-bit PCs (signed)
    ii  linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64     5.10.70-1~bpo10+1              amd64        Linux 5.10 for 64-bit PCs (signed)
    ic  linux-image-amd64                    5.10.70-1~bpo10+1              amd64        Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)

That is the proper procedure from a rescue disk. If your system is booted, you can just run grub-install /dev/sdX then update-grub. Is /dev/sda the correct drive though? Is /boot on /dev/sda?

Does not help. Still the same results.

What is the output of:

ls -al /boot

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

sudo update-grub

Code
    root@baranki:~# sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    Code
    root@baranki:~# sudo update-grub
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    done

You need to set your grub drive and /boot drive back to the same drive. This might involve changing the bios to boot from the proper drive.

So linked tutorial did not do the job?

My system boots without problems from this time.

My boot drive was sda, with one partition for OMV system, second for OMV backups and third for Docker containers & configurations.

Did you change your boot drive? It looks like grub is not looking at the right drive.

Not intentialy. Last day I messed up my grub, as far as I remember with some of the update command. There was a blue screen where I need to choose proper boot device and I've choosen the whole drive with my OMV partition (there was also the partition available to choose). From this time I was unable to boot properly to the system (grub rescue). I have managed to resolve this issue using below tutorial:

https://askubuntu.com/question…fter-ubuntu-19-10-upgrade

(the second answer in this thread, author yorch).

Some time ago I have moved my OMV system from HDD to SSD, the whole system drive (3 partitions).

See here how to solve that:

Thank you Soma!

Hello, two questions:

After upgrading OMV 5.x to OMV 6.x I does not have a Kernel menu in my OMV settings page.

Second one: Plugin menu does not show any plugins on the grid even that it shows that 0 selected / 39 total. Additionaly I can't even access the upper menu on this page - it is not opening. Screenshoot attached. Of course clearing the browser cache was performed.

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ls

Output of given commands:

As you can see (again partialy in Polish :D) above the packages linux-headers-5.10.0-13-amd64 linux-headers-5.10.0-13-common linux-kbuild-5.10 will be deleted (confirmed by user). But there is an error (?) that directory "/lib/modules/5.10.0-13-amd64" from package linux-headers-5.10.0-13-amd64 is not empty and will not be deleted.

Below is the information that packages linux-headers-5.10.0-13-common (5.10.106-1) and linux-kbuild-5.10 (5.10.120-1) are being deleted.

While performing apt dist-upgrade nothing new happens:

Code
    root@baranki:~# apt dist-upgrade
    Czytanie list pakietów... Gotowe
    Budowanie drzewa zależności... Gotowe
    Odczyt informacji o stanie... Gotowe
    Obliczanie aktualizacji... Gotowe
    0 aktualizowanych, 0 nowo instalowanych, 0 usuwanych i 0 nieaktualizowanych.

And for apt install linux-headers-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 linux-headers-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-common linux-kbuild-5.16:

system indicates, that all packages are installed. But after reboot I am still on Version 6.0.28-3 (Shaitan) Kernel Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64:

Other question is why I don't have a menu entry Kernel in my System settings?

Edit:

I have fixed my Plugins issue (not displayed on the list), installed Kernel plugin and as you can see new kernel is also not available from here:

apt update then apt dist-upgrade.

Unfortunately it does not work for me. I am still on Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64. I have attached the complete log file (sorry, it is partially in Polish, I need to change it to English...).

So new packages linux-headers-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 linux-headers-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-common linux-kbuild-5.16 should be installed but:

Code
    dkms: running auto installation service for kernel 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64:
    Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Some additional steps are required?

Hello!

Did kernel should be updated during moving from latest OMV 5.x to the OMV 6.x using the command omv-release-upgrade. Mine does not, I am stuck with Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64. I am trying to install the nvidia driver for transcoding in Plex using below tutorial:

but I am getting some weird problems with mismatched kernel while installing nvidia driver?

So after my last post, at about the end of the previous year I have finally managed to get it to work. I am not 100% sure now if the below scenario is correct - I was not have time to write it just after configuring, so now I may not remember it exactly - sorry for that. But If you guys want to achieve this and encounter some problems during it - please share with us - we will try to resolve it together :)

1. As first I completely removed the pulseaudio and squeezelite services from my system using - as far as I remember:

sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio and sudo apt-get remove squeezelite. For both uninstallation process there was an information about dependencies packages which will not being removed and user need to remove it manually using apt-get autoremove. After performing autoremove command I rebooted my machine.

2. As second I reinstalled the pulseaudio. Just after installation I have found that the communication with my device is still problematic (the device or resource busy problem) and there are a lot of other, strange problems. I have finally found a solution for this - removing the ~./config/pulse/default.pa file and performing the pulseaudio -vvvvv comand to restart/reload the pulseaudio. After that I have finally working pulseaudio process with ability to comunicate with my device without problems (eg. setting volume).

3. Now there should be some steps with installing packages squeezelite and squeezelite-pa, installing docker version of the Logitech Media Server (using image lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver) and blacklisting the built-in audio card of my machine. But I do not remember now all the steps which I performed. While messing around with it I noticed that when using squeezelite or squeezelite-pa packages I am able to play music in Logitech Media Server to my device but audio comes from it only after clicking on the progress bar of currently playing track (in any place on it). No audio for just playing selected track or skipping tracks. So I kept looking for an solution and finally I found it.. the giof71/squeezelite image for Docker :D

4. giof71/squeezelite-docker - the description is simple and clear. I have not tested it with the SQUEEZELITE_AUDIO_DEVICE=default value yet, but I know that my device is found under my system as hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 (or plughw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0) so I leaved it like this. The SQUEEZELITE_SERVER_PORT leave empty for auto discover of your LMS server or place the IP:port addres here. SQUEEZELITE_NAME=your_custom_endpointdevice_name - name it as you want. I have named it just iFi Zen Dac. Deploy the container. INFO: for the auto discovery function you should have already configured Logitech Media Server. Otherwise the container need to be restarted after configuring LMS.

5. Installing Logitech Media Server using docker/portainer. I have used following image: lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver - this is an official image. The configuration is also simple. Just after installing you should at least load the library im LMS settings. This step may be performed before installing squeezelite from Step 4.

Finally - test the connection with your device. In Logitech Media Server your device custom name should be now selectable. Sleect it, turn it ON (physically and in Logitech Media Server) and play some music. Music should be played without problems right now.

Now it is time for configuration of LMS - as you may found there were A LOT of options and addons there :)

Thanks!

The last word

I am very happy with my setup right now. I am able to play my music or radio stations directly from my server. The quality is superb - squeezelite and LMS are bit-perfect capable (as default). The GUI of the LMS (especially in the Material skin) is great and simple to use. It is a lot responsed and user-friendly than Airsonic. And running it on my server machine instead of RaspberryPi 0W or Raspberry Pi 3B+ in final effect is a lot quicker and responsive.

strace aplay -D plughw:CARD=PAWS1,DEV=0 should tell you on which call it hangs.

I got it, can I attach here .txt file with full output? Is it safe?

Last lines before hang:

Additional information:

I borrowed RPI3B+, installed piCorePlayer 8.1.0 standard version. I managed to configure it to communicate (and play music) to my iFi Zen Dac without any problems.

On my OMV machine I have checked also the other dac that I have own - Lotoo Paw S1. And there is exactly the same situation as for iFi:

So now I am 100% sure that this problem is not related to my DAC devices but with my OMV system.

Is anyone here familiar with ALSAa and overall all audio based stuff working under OMV?