Posts by edwardwong80

Maybe you should consider this one, you don't need to think about HBA/ETH controller anymore

https://www.asrockrack.com/gen…451D4I2-2T#Specifications

I can say this much about your list:
    - OMV's support of Arm devices is limited to R-PI's what Armbian supports. Without knowledge of what is actually running the two Arm NAS boxes, they're out.

As long as you can install Debian on an ARM platform, OMV should work, depending on kernel features or some other setting, some OMV features might not be OK. For example, I just installed OMV 5 on my Linksys WRT1900AC v2 router, right now BTRFS/ZFS/Docker/Quota not working, but as a simple OMV NAS, it still have basic functionalities.

While I think using zfs and luks on this system would be more painful than the journey has already been, armhf and even armel is supported for zfs by debian - https://packages.debian.org/se…on=names&keywords=zfs-zed. Docker works pretty well on 32 raspbian builds on RPis. Most of your problems have to be kernel config. Are you compiling a new kernel or just trying to compile modules? The latter is a pain on these custom arm kernels. I would build a new kernel with the modules you need compiled in. veth and btrfs shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah I compile the kernel, since I am using some pre-built image, and due to MTD size limit on particular member in the series (the WRT1900AC v1), building everything into kernel will be a problem, but as a newer kernel version is on the way, I already suggesting to include more features inside.

Actually I tried to do this a few years ago, but with some kernel hardware support issue I have to give up, now as my Linksys WRT1900AC v2 is retired from network, I decided to have another attempt, with some success.

Here is Linksys WRT1900AC v2, with ARM Debian Buster installed. The router has 1 x USB3 + 1 x USB2 (combo port shared with eSATA 6Gbps), I used USB3 to host root FS, leaving the valuable eSATA port to connect a 4-bay 3.5" eSATA enclosure. The enclosure has no RAID function, the router eSATA were known to support port multiplier, a couple years ago my failure was due to old kernel doesn't support SATA PMP, and only 1st drive can be recognized (Well you can still use it as a 1-bay NAS, but I don't like it).

Manual OMV 5.6 installation, it has quite a lot of custom things to be done. For example my kernel has no quota/BTRFS (after compiling kernel module still doesn't work, so I give up), ZFS not supporting 32bit ARM so I know there is no hope. All these requiring extra configuration and setup. The 1st picture was showing I have a 8GB USB flash memory as root FS, but later I changed it back to a normal 2.5" USB HDD because I don't want it to be killed by kernel compilation + OMV logging that soon.

Hardware supports HDD hotplug, OMV has no hassle with this, every single plug/remove event just need a simple scan (sometimes I don't even need to).

eSATA has much higher stability, I inserted 3 x 4TB 7200rpm drive to build a RAID 5 volume, hdparm cached disk read gave me a 320MB/s transfer rate, and CPU loading/memory usage still low.

The next thing I am still working hard on is the LUKS disk encryption, (my CPU has crypto acceleration) it says failed to create, but no actual errors, I don't even know how it was dead :(

Wanted to use docker but kernel has no virtual ethernet support (veth), I compiled but after pulling container the system went crazy, I guess docker on 32bit ARM isn't very usable? I am still wondering what else I could do because almost all plugins moved to dockers.

I can recommend this one: https://www.asrockrack.com/gen…3758D4I-4L#Specifications

It's a server grade ATOM CPU, very low power but high performance. I had the older generation with 4-core CPU one (C2550D4i), it doesn't support hardware acceleration because no on die video, however mine was capable to do 2-3 streams of 1080p video at the same time, 8-core one should handle much more. In case you really want more horse power (well, only transcoding needs it), Asrock Rack also has a few with LP Xeon integrated.

Huge amount of SATA port onboard, you only need to think about getting a chassis for all HDD, never need to worry about it.

Hello,

I am installing OMV 5.6 on ARM platform, the built-in kernel has no quota support, which is fine because I just want to use it as backup.

I already use systemctl to disable all quota related services, but OMV is still generating quota mount options when I create filesystem, and stuck at "wrong option" when it tries to mount.

Searched a bit, looking at different places like config.xml, I still don't find where OMV5 defines default mount option, can someone point me there? Thanks.