Posts by MadMac

When I go Access Rights Management / Shared Folders / Add, I populate the name, select a device, allow the default path and permissions, but when I hit Save, I get "Failed to set file group to 'users' for '/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-4C9A-901D/movies/"

This is the correct UUID for the disk. (Although, it looks a little short!)

It's a USB drive. I don't know if that's significant.

There is a "users" group. (My user is a member of it.)

If I now hit "Cancel" the directory has been created (I can see it on the console) and the share appears in the GUI.

Looking for clues as to what might be causing the error, please?

Used to be omv-update. It is still working, but if you run it you get a message that it is depreciated and you should use omv-upgrade instead. I assume sooner or later omv-update will disappear.

I tried omv-upgrade and it wasn't a recognised command. I tried omv-u<TAB> and it suggested omv-update. Implies I'd somehow installed a terribly old version!

omv-update ?

This may be up-to-date now.

Code
    ii openmediavault 5.6.15-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 5.6.2 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

After a reboot, still no option within plugins to install DLNA. Weird...

Post the output of

dpkg -l | grep openmedia

Code
    ii openmediavault 5.5.11-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 5.6.2 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

Thanks.

Hi.

I've changed harware and just done a reinstall. I can't seem to get DLNA installed.

I recall that when I previously installed omv-extras from plugins, I saw a new option under the Multimedia section of plugins, but having installed omv-extras, this plugin doesn't seem to be on the list. I see only shairport and forkeddaapd.

omv-tools is definitely installed: I see it on the tool pane and its Settings / Docker / Cockpit / Kernel tabs.

Edit:

Also tried ctrl-shift-r as recommended elsewhere. No joy.

Also tried uninstall and reinstall. No joy.

Any ideas what I can do, please?

Thanks.

I had to reinstall XCP-ng, and I couldn't port the VM holding OMV, so I reinstalled OMV5.

I've installed omv-extras, and I have the omv-extras tab. However, under the multimedia plugin section I cannot see mini-DLNA.

I see only forkeddaapd and shairport.

This feels terribly like the problem I had last time. I've rebooted a few times and ctrl-F5'd. No joy.

Any ideas, please?

:-)

Yeah. I'm pretty good at this stuff normally. I was stuck at "1" though. It wasn't in the list. (Good job I'm not a numpty, or I'd have been checking on "Installed" per your example!)

Anyway, it looks like it just needed a reboot. There's a ton of new stuff there today.

Thanks.

It never rains...

I have now installed OMV5 and omv-extras. (It wasn't initially one of the plugins, but I did wget.) I can see omv-extras and its Docker / Cockpit, etc. components.

But I still don't see DLNA or a related looking plugin.

What silly thing have I done now?

This is a bit weird. I've installed OMV 5 and there's no sidebar but I'm presented with "The dashboard has not yet been configured. To personalize it please go to the settings page." I go to settings and it's also quite blank.

This is new.

Hi.

Trying to install miniDLNA. I understood that it was included in omv-extras. I've just installed omv-extras, but if I click it in the sidebar, it yields up a 404 error.

I'd read elsewhere that omv-extras isn't fully working with OMV 6. Is that what I'm seeing here?

Is there an alternative (or better) way to get mini DLNA up and running, please?

Thanks.

I have OMV installed on XCP-ng, so rolling back to my previous version isn't a problem. I just did the update out of curiosity.

The System, Services and Diagnostics sidebar items seem to work properly in the web interface. However, the Network, User Management and Storage to not display their tabs. The sidebar items expand to show their child items, but the content of the main window does not change accordingly.

While doing the recent update, my system "kept back" from installing linux-image-5.10.0-8-amd64 5.10.46-2 and linux-image-amd64 5.10.46-2.

I'm logged in as admin.

I've got a snapshot in case anyone wants to play, but I'm rolling back now.

Hope this is useful.

In case anyone's still watching, I trashed this setup and started again. I realised that if I'm going to have a PC running all the time, I best use it for other stuff, too. I decided to run it was several VMs, hosting OMV and my IoT stuff.

I installed a 160Gb (still not SSD, but I will upgrade sometime) as the boot drive. It runs Mint Linux, and VirtualBox (I tried XCP-NG, but Orchestra didn't seem to do everything I needed).

I have Home Assistant (HASSOS) running on one VM and OMV on another. I haven't figured out:

- How to get the OMV VM native access to the main drive yet. (There are loads of references on here; I just haven't got to reading them yet.)

- How to get the VM to automatically run on boot time. (I have a Google article to read on that.)

- How to get X11 VNC to launch in "accept connections" mode! (Again, I do have a Google article to read on that.)

I'm stunned at the number of Linux tools which have a GUI that doesn't quite do everything. I always have to dive into the commandline for some feature.

Am I doing this the hard way?

How large did you make your OS partition? Like I said, they don't need to be very large. If you set everything up correctly, the odds of you filling a OS partition that is more than 10gigs are pretty slim.

The only thing I dislike about not insulating the OS drive from data.. is now if you ever reinstall.. you're going to have a lot of hoop jumping to try and back up data on the secondary partition on the OS (since the OMV installer automatically take over an entire drive, and will destroy your current setup). Now the easy way around this is to install Debian, and then install OMV on top of it. However if you're already uncomfortable partitioning drives, etc.. you could easily nuke your data partition here as well. As long as you know what you're getting into, you're fine.

I know this is essentially just a test right now, but it's one reason why I generally just tell folks to get a decent flash drive, install the flash-memory plugin, and don't worry about it. A quick look at Amazon right now a 32gig flash drive from some decent names (PNY, Sandisk) can be had for less than $9, and both have some multipacks that will push the cost down a bit further.

32Gb on a 2Tb drive.

I hedged my bets on that. I figure I might have it run some other scripts, some Discord bots and possibly an MQTT server for my "Intranet of Things". Like, I say, this is only a sandbox. If I go this route, I'll want to start with a physically smaller, quieter box with two RAIDed data drives and a third specifically for the OS.

Yeah, I'm disgusted at the price of SSD at the moment. I bought a 100Gb SSD a few months ago for about 3 times what they cost now. those 32Gb flash drives you're talking about: are folk actually using USB as their primary boot drive?!

My first attempt, it turns out, was using an elderly version of gparted. I'm not at all uncomfortable partitioning drives. I'm uncomfortable with the assertion that the beginner diving into a particular technology for the first time is too lazy to enter a simple search in Google. I accept that many people are that lazy, and they expect you to hand them some kind of panacea. Now that know the answer to my question, I certainly know what I could have asked Google, but if you don't know that XYZ is the name of the thing which doesn't work, how can you ask google how XYZ works?

In time, I hope I can be some kind of asset round here.

In teh end, I went with the OMV-Extras | Gparted Live version. Going down this road requires the beginner to understand statements like "resize the partition and allocate a new partition in the free space. Happily, these are expressions I'm familiar with. I selected this method having had the fear of "the hard drive can fill up and cause your OS to slow".

Thanks for you input.