Beiträge von KillrBill

I'm sure i'm missing something but can't see the wood for the trees.

I have changed the location of my TV Shows on OMV5.

The old location was on HDD1 and was in the folder /TV

The new location is now on HDD3 and in the folder /TVShows

All is well with the file structure/settings on OMV5 and i can access the files using SMB on windows.

I open Portainer, click containers, check plex, and click Stop.

Click plex, click dupilcate/edit.

Scroll down to Advanced container settings and click volumes.

I click the bin next to the "old" /TV container.

Click +map additional drive.

Insert the new details which are:

Container - /TVShows

Click Bind

Host /srv/dev-disk-by-label-HDD3/TVShows

Question is, What do i do next? If i restart plex the settings just revert back to the old settings. What am i doing wrong?

TIA :)

So I have upgraded from running OMV off a SDCard to a 256GB SSD I had lying around. Responsiveness seems much better and hopefully, less likely to fail like an SDCard.

https://thepihut.com/products/…osure-for-argon-one-cases for the case

https://thepihut.com/products/…-0-cable-for-raspberry-pi for the cable

Used the dd command on my other raspberry pi to copy the image from the SDCard onto the SSD then raps-config to expand the image on the SSD.

basically he is telling him to go read the documentation on docker, which i understand you cant help people by giving them the answer they need to figure it out for themselves, but a better solution would have probably guide him to find the solution at least that way other who come here looking for an answer will have an easier time.

What happens then if you simply can't figure it out for yourself? You come to this forum and ask for help.

Basically calls you and idiot and you thank you him,

You're still trying to figure this out?

How did you install Plex would be a good start.. Did you install it with a stack, docker-compose, or what?

I installed it with the help of a YouTube video. I don't know if it was a stack or a docker compose or frankly what they are or mean :/ All I can remember is filling in a form of some sort, various tabs and voila, Plex server installed. like I said this is/was the first and only time I've ever used docker/portainer so I'm not familiar with it at all.

All I need to know is how to update the Plex Server on it, preferably so it will update automatically or at reboot, whatever.

Now, from my limited understanding of what I've read, there is a TAG. Mine says LATEST and this I think, is wrong which is why it won't update (on reboot). So I need to change this TAG to either PLEXPASS or PUBLIC. I don't know which, and I don't know how.

There is also the suggestion that I just

If you are using portainer, stop Plex. Select it. use recreate button, on prompt enable Pull latest image. That's it.

but I'd just like clarification that that will work and not obliterate my Plex Database. Is this just a temporary fix? Do I still need to change this TAG in order to fix the problem properly

I have read numerous times "Read the documentation". Where is this documentation? Which bit of this documentation refers to the problem I'm having?

I thought I was pretty "tech savvy" but this has really stumped me.

P.S. If you think this is bad wait till I want to install PiHole and upgrade from OMV5 to OMV6! =O

PPS Some official tutorials/guides would be a real help especially for the elderly noobs like myself

As I said, setting the tag when pulling the image is not the same thing as setting that environment variable when configuring the container.

This is why his container creation date is stuck on a date that is six months ago.

Please, just walk me through it like I'm 5. This is the first and only time I've ever and probably will use Portainer/docker. I don't understand it, I don't know what I'm doing. I am an A1 NOOB at this. I installed Plex on OMV by watching a YouTube video. Thats the extent of my knowledge.

You say I need to change a tag, how do I do this?

The post above says I can just do this and all will be well, is that right?

If you are using portainer, stop Plex. Select it. use recreate button, on prompt enable Pull latest image. That's it.

If there's something I need to change or you need more information from me, I am happy to do so, just tell me how... please

TIA

Hi, my Plex server installed in Docker says there is an update available but it has to be installed manually. No automatic updates here.

Can I politely request if if hasn’t already been done, a step by step, easy to follow update process tutorial to accomplish this?

TIA :)

Maybe the back up could be stored remotely somewhere locally on a network? Is this an idea? Like for instance I have a Time Machine that does all the back ups for my Mac, could the back up be stored there? removing the need for a USB stick to be left plugged in?

Just a thought, or maybe a brain fart lol

I just wanted a simple "setup and leave it" way of backing up my SD Card in case of SD Card Failure. Should the SD Card fail, I assume OMV would crash, lights and sirens would go off and it would be pretty obvious that the SD Card had failed. I can then shutdown OMV, remove failed SD Card and the back up media (USB Stick?) with the back up image/files on it, grab new SD Card, copy back up image/files on to new SD Card using whatever software needed on presumably another computer (Mac, Windows or Linux), plug in new SD Card to OMV, reboot OMV and off to the races again I go.

Reading this thread I now realise now my naivety. It's a simple feature, but in actual fact is far from simple to implement. I hope a way can be found. For now I will continue to back up manually.

I can't get a fixed i.p address from my ISP (without paying an extortionate amount of money), but i can setup a fixed i.p address for my OMV Server on my network from my router, then if my hostname stops working (as it occasionally does for some as yet unknown to me reason) then i can simply go to the i.p address and access the OMV WebUI that way and knowing exactly what the i.p address is, is, very useful.

We have lift off! Thanks chente and Zoki

Is this

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000

link/ether dc:a6:32:76:83:7c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 10.0.1.68/24 brd 10.0.1.255 scope global dynamic eth0

Okay so tonights mini project is getting my OMV Server to have a static i.p address. I have decided to go down the route of letting my router (Apple Airport Extreme) handle this.

I need to know the MAC address of my OMV Server. I have gone in to Diagnostics > System Information > Report and there i have found multiple MAC Addresses. My OMV Server is connected via an ethernet cable.

Which one is the correct one to use?

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000

link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00

inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

inet6 ::1/128 scope host

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000

link/ether dc:a6:32:76:83:7c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 10.0.1.68/24 brd 10.0.1.255 scope global dynamic eth0

valid_lft 77323sec preferred_lft 77323sec

inet6 fdb7:796c:caca:3:dea6:32ff:fe76:837c/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr noprefixroute

valid_lft 1769sec preferred_lft 1769sec

inet6 fd54:5fe0:9aea:1:dea6:32ff:fe76:837c/64 scope global deprecated dynamic mngtmpaddr noprefixroute

valid_lft 475sec preferred_lft 0sec

inet6 fe80::dea6:32ff:fe76:837c/64 scope link

3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000

link/ether dc:a6:32:76:83:7d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

4: docker0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default

link/ether 02:42:90:b6:fc:55 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 172.17.0.1/16 brd 172.17.255.255 scope global docker0

inet6 fe80::42:90ff:feb6:fc55/64 scope link

6: vetheb421fb@if5: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master docker0 state UP group default

link/ether 3e:1c:93:63:bf:33 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff link-netnsid 0

inet6 fe80::3c1c:93ff:fe63:bf33/64 scope link

64GB SD Card successfully expanded!

1. SSH into OMV server using Terminal - ssh pi@OMVServer.local

2. enter password

3. sudo raspi-config

4. select Advanced options

5. select Expand SD card

6. It asks you to reboot, i said no here

7. logout of SSH

8. login to OMV

9. Shutdown OMV

10. Turn on OMV

11. Bask in the glory!

giphy.gif

Spot the Difference

Now.. about moving that Plex DB..

As Chente says, Apple has software in the firmware that helps with that. Nothing that OMV runs on has that option. I've tried for years to come up with something that works on all systems but this is the best I have.

Then you're doing just fine with what you have :) I'll add it to my wish list ;)

Honestly, thank you for all your help.

Just need to figure out how to resize the SD Card now ^^

That is precisely the question. Apple has defined hardware models, so you can easily configure a backup for your hardware.

But this isn't about the hardware surely, it's about backing up an SD Card and the data on it. I could have a massive complicated server or as I have a raspberry Pi 4 with a couple of drives attached, but if its OS is just an SD card then all you have to do is back up that. If my SD card dies, I am royally screwed. I'd feel much more comfortable knowing that that little SD Card was "automagically" backed up in case it does die :/