Beiträge von Sea Wolfe

I honestly didn't even want to add the EE option let alone test a scenario like that... I'm sure you need to manually clean up the volume since the plugin doesn't do that (and won't).

Yeah, I went and manually cleaned up the Portainer install directory, and that solved it. There was definitely some remnants of the EE version there that was preventing the reversion to the CE version.

I understand your reluctance to add the "Use EE" button. Right now, it's implementation is kind of odd. Like once that is checked, that is the version that the script tries to remove before before installing. Like it doesn't take into account that you might be removing a different version than the version you are trying to install. Anyway, no worries about it---I know you were reluctant to add it in the first place...and you probably have bigger more pressing thing you are working on. I kinda just posting for the benefit of anyone else testing it out.

So with my inclination to tinker, I removed Portainer CE and installed Portainer EE (from the GUI, OMV-extras 6.04).

It installed fine, and then I removed it, and re-installed CE. Again this worked, fine (the first time).

I went through this entire process a second time (because the first time, I misunderstood the way the "Use EE" flag and the save changes in the GUI worked---so I was running through the entire thing to make sure I understood the correct sequence.

After that, for a while, I couldn't get either Portainer version to run correctly (each container would restart immediately on launch and the Portainer webpage was inaccessible.

Posting, so that anyone else thinking of "testing" this on setup, might think twice of trying to switch back and forth between versions. I'm not quite sure what the conflict with the two versions are. As far as I can tell, they install in the same paths, and the EE version picked up my previously defined containers right away etc. But there is some gremlin there in switching between the two...

After weeks of going back and forth trying to figure out why I could sometimes access a certain drive, and other times I would loose access to it under OMV, I finally figured out that it shows up on my initial install when the kernel version is 5.10, but once I'm running kernel 5.14 I can no longer see it under OMV.

This is not an OMV issue directly. I have "solved" this for the moment, by removing the 5.14 kernel, and having grub boot up in the 5.10 kernel. Everything is working fine as is for the moment. But I believe my Intel iGPU (10th Gen) has better support under the 5.14 kernel, so eventually I would like to be able to upgrade.

After a little googling, I found reference to legacy IDE (40 pin ribbon cable) being deprecated in latest Linux kernel. But this is a SATA drive, not IDE. Granted, it is connected via a caddy that allows me to use the the Optical Bay (but this is still Slim-SATA to standard SATA), so I don't think the lack of IDE drivers affects this?

Any insight as why the 5.14 kernel might be preventing me from using this drive? Or any patches out there, that might provide the drivers I need?

TIA

If you want to do it smartly, the first user you create should be userapp. Your ID will be 1000 and you no longer have to change it every time you discharge a stack. Less to think about. ;)

Does the user have to be named "userapp" ? Is that PUID reserved for that user name?

And will that then become PUID of the docker user account as well?

(My apologies for taking this thread way off. My original intent of not creating a new, unnecessary thread, has backfired spectacularly).

The other really useful part IMO, is using symlinks for your docker paths.

I'm definitely doing that this time as well. I didn't last time, because the plugin wasn't there For OMV 6, and I didn't want pieces of the config all over the place--some through CLI, some in web GUI. But ryecoaaron has been busy and OMV 6 coming together nicely now. It's almost a blessing my hardware is off for repair---looking forward to rebuilding.

Everything in docker and quick reinstallation if necessary.

Yeah, it's amazing how fast you can deploy things with docker, especially if you have saved docker-compose.yml file/files. And if you are rebuilding on the same host, with the same paths etc.

That's why your recommendation, in your guide, to put the docker install off the system partition is great. (I already had portainer off the system partition), for my next install, I'm following your suggestion and not installing docker in the default path as well.

I've tested my procedure in practice, and I can be from a blank OS disk, to back to all my services being back up and running like nothing has happened, in a little over 30min.

Haha. Yeah.

Even though, before the last 5-6 weeks, I had never used a NAS, or run NAS software, or used Docker and hadn't touched Linux since like 15 years ago (in school), I have to say it's about the same for me. Because I've done so many reinstalls, trying to get things right, I think I have it down to a routine now. And like you, I have nothing setup on the OMV/system partition. Data and config files for docker are all on other drives/partitions so I can quickly rebuild everything. And OMV installs so quickly and painlessly (Votdev deserves praise here), that I'm really not too concerned about the OS partition/drive backup--in fact that's another reason I want to move it off the SSD (where it was just a partition)--I was it physically separated from the rest of the drives--I believe that modular setup is better for me to recover from any mishaps.

You will only notice a difference at startup, then the important parts of the system are loaded into RAM. remember to use the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin.

Look at this thread, there are USB purchase recommendations. SSD or USB Key?

I had seen that thread before. Thanks for reminding me...great insight by @tkaiser there.

I'm probably going against his recommendations. But I want with these el cheapo ($3.99 USD) flash drives:

https://www.newegg.com/Team-Mo…3990?Item=N82E16820313990

Nothing in my setup is super critical. It's all more like a hobby/project to learn with--so everything is ultra cheap/ budget buys. Hope I don't come to regret not getting something better! :)

Thanks crashtest --I was already using the flash memory plugin for my SSD--it's one of the first things I install. Yeah, that reboot makes sense, especially since it's so easy to schedule in off hours. I might consider doing the same.

Backing up the entire OS is dirt simple, if you use USB thumbdrives to boot. They're low cost and it's easy enough to get two identical drives for backing up.

The rational for using a thumbdrive is -> here and a method of backup is explained, with a walk through -> here.

I'm thinking about redoing my setup of OMV to a flash drive for these reasons (currently it's on a SSD). I wonder how much slower a USB 2.0 drive will be than a USB 3.0 drive? The system has USB 3.0. So I guess a USB 3 drive should boot faster. But after boot, most everything get loaded to RAM, right?

My system is not booted/rebooted often...so I'm not sure if a few seconds boot difference is a big deal. But Votdev did mention that USB 3.0 drives (generally speaking) do have newer/better controllers.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a couple dirt cheap USB 2.0 flash drives, and just wanted to make sure I shouldn't spend the extra on USB 3.0 drives instead...

Thoughts?

I'm not sure, but I would say that using a VPN with surfshark requires an installation on the host. I doubt it will work in a container.

Looking at the surfsark documentation the only possible installation I see of the client is on the host.

Actually, there are a few docker containers that allow you to run most/all of these vpn providers in a container.

For example, this one is very popular:

https://github.com/haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn

And this one I like a lot:

https://github.com/qdm12/gluetun

Many of them have preconfigured options for many providers, but also allow you to manually setup your provider via a custom config, if yours is not one they have a config for.

Of course, it's also very easy to install and of these VPN providers directly on the host via CLI (If they support OpenVPN or Wireguard). But yeah, installation via docker is totally possible--just a little more tricky to setup and get working right.

@K91fr Maybe I can help, because I went through setting this up a couple weeks ago (after much trial an error)---it's not exactly straight--forward or intuitive....because a lot of documentation is very lacking. That's why I like the gluten container---great documentation---and great guy if you have any questions--he is super responsive to Github issues.

I've seen a couple posts around about disappearing drives in OMV. I wanted to post an update for the benefit of future google searches etc., to make it clear that my issue ended up being as a result of a defective SATA connector on the motherboard, and had absolutely nothing to do with OMV--which has been nothing but rock solid! I did end up wasting tons of time because of the problem, and trying to troubleshoot, it. Even did a few reinstalls a few weeks ago, when the problem first popped up...but this was never an OMV issue at all.

This forum/community is great and very helpful, btw. I've been playing around, testing, reading about some of the other options out there. And this community, and the willingness of members to help--just "feels different" to some of the other online spaces. It's kind of hard to nail it down exactly. But whatever it is...it's very refreshing and appreciated!

It seems silly but sometimes changing the sata cable fixes problems like this ...

Perhaps providing more information, such as the make and model of the disc, will help someone to tell you more.

Yes, that sounds like the next obvious thing to try. I have tons of standard SATA cables lying around, but this one is a smaller connector that was for the slim optical drive. SATA slim I think it's called. Don't think I have any of those around so I might have to order one to test it. Thanks for the suggestion!

This problem is most probably not an OMV issue. But since there are so many knowledgeable people here, I'm looking for a little help....

I have a HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1013w system that I am running OMV 6 on. OMV has been working beautifully!

In the slimline optical drive bay, I have installed instead a 2.5" drive caddy that allows me to put a 2.5 HDD or SSD in there to expand the storage options.

Two weeks ago, this drive "disappeared " and stopped showing up in OMV. I could figure out the problem, and after some troubleshooting, I ended up doing a reinstall thinking maybe I had messed something up.

Everything has been fine since, until yesterday morning when the drive disappeared again.

Things I have tried so far:

1. Running Diagnostic tests on the drive --drive passes quick and extended tests.

2. Using another drive caddy --same results

3. Connecting the drive via a USB enclosure---drive shows up via a usb live linux that I used for troubleshooting (in gparted). But still does not show up in OMV via this method.

3. In CLI on OVM install the drive does not show up when I list drives (this is while it's connected to the internal SATA)

I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware issue with this particular SATA connector.

Any pointers in what I should try next to try to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

Yeah, I tried OMV 5.x. I really have had no major issues with 6. There were some little things a few weeks ago, like some links not working in certain browsers (minor stuff--but even those have been fixed recently). Nothing about my system is mission critical. And I am partly doing this to learn--so very happy to be a beta/alpha tester.

Point 3 is something I didn't know---so that's a great tip! Most times, though, I'm not actually entering the UUID on the command line directly, but editing a file in nano etc---so not sure if that tip works there.

Anyways, thanks to both of you for sharing what you know--happy to learn!

Thank you! I had to take a break from this for a few days--so sorry for not saying thanks sooner!

If you mount the filesystem via the GUI of OMV, they will be mounted by UUID (unless it is btrfs).

You have to mount the filesystem using the GUI if you want to use them with OMV. Otherwise they will not be available when creating shared folders.

The drives are already mounted in the GUI, and available for OMV. The "problem" is that for basic file backup, I am using OMV, but for other services, I am using Docker containers. And since I haven't found a way to setup/edit these in a GUI (in OMV 6), I am have to do a lot of this through CLI, and constantly referencing these long paths with UUID's. So I'm trying to figure out the best way to give them a persistent alias, that I can use to refer to them (the drives instead).
    Please bear with the noob questions. I am not a Linux guru--so what's obvious to someone who is knowledgeable, escapes me (for now)...

You can set them while creation in the CLI, but OMV does not support them anymore. When creating a filesystem via UI there is no ability to set a label, too.

Thanks. Doing so (setting them up in CLI) won't mess up anything with OMV, right? I know OMV prefers config done through the GUI, and and not CLI. I'm a bit tired of reinstalling. I have probably done about 10 reinstalls over the last couple weeks, learning the system and messing up (all my fault). Also, in another thread, a user suggested using symlinks. Would this be a preferable option to using Labels?

OMV is an amazing system--thanks for all your work. I can't believe I had never heard of it, before the last few weeks. It's really is a hidden gem--I was testing it on 10-12 year old hardware---and it was running flawlessly, and bring new life to hardware that crawls with windows.