Beiträge von wolffstarr

Hello,
    I had the same problem until yesterday, on a clean install of openmediavault with the latest ISO from December 2016. Services like samba wouldn't start when using systemd or the init.d script. The binary itself could be run without any problems.
    I noticed that there are two start-stop-daemons: /sbin/start-stop-daemon and /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL
    I fixed the problem by moving /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL to /sbin/start-stop-daemon. Now everything works fine.

Oh wow. That's... really funky. Time to go check.

I don't have two start-stop-daemon files on any of my systems. No idea what creates it but it would interesting to know.

It was definitely the same image I used, I think 3.0.58 or something like that - I'd have to dig it out.

Well, for a quick fix, try zfs mount mainpool manually. I'm assuming you only have the base mainpool dataset and no child datasets.

I'm about to leave for work, but I've had a similar problem in the past; I'll try to track down some info for you.

If zfs mount mainpool doesn't work, it should give a useful error. Also, make sure there's nothing in the /mainpool directory that it mounts to; that can cause issues as well.

Alright, got it rebooted, not sure what exactly happened but the system was running, it just didn't have a network connection somehow. networking.service fails to run, which I'm beginning to think may be the root of the problem altogether. Note that network-online.target is fine, and I'm (now) able to access remotely over SSH and the web UI, but networking.service is down. Here's the status output:

Now, that was the result of me trying to enable IPv6 via the web UI, but I just issued a systemctl start networking.service and the only thing that changed was the timestamps. On the other hand, that might be something from sysvinit and this is an effect of the issue, not a cause.

On the plugin updates for Syncthing, uploaded the new one, I've got the enable switch for inotify now, and it works if I create with it (and doesn't if I don't), shuts off if I disable, comes up when I enable, and all around works as I'd expect it to.

Just need to figure out where to set the max user watches.

It's in /etc/sysctl.conf, needs to have fs.inotify.max_user_watches=204800 to make the change permanent, but to change it for the running system, /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches is what needs to be set to 204800. Syncthing's github page tells you to use the command sudo sh -c 'echo 204800 > /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches' to set it, and it needs to be done prior to starting inotify.

Haven't had a chance to test yet, I rebooted the remote NAS earlier for something else and it never came back online. When/if I can get a hard reboot and make sure there's power to it, I'll update and test.

Thanks!

New version in same location.

Gotcha, will give it a spin shortly.

Random thought, I was able to bring my CPU utilization WAAAAAY down - like, average of 15% to about 0.1% - by installing syncthing-inotify along with it. Only problem is, it pretty well chews through the inotify queue and you have to modify /etc/sysctl.conf to increase it. Not exactly a good idea for a plugin, but if you've got a weaker system using Syncthing, might make a huge difference.

Maybe try reinstalling systemd-sysv and sysvinit-utils?

Might as well. I'd tried apt-get install --reinstall samba to see if I could get it to rebuild the sysv script-generated unit, but that didn't impact. Might as well do the same thing with those.

Thanks for pointing that out. Deleted users are disabled now. If you want to try the latest package, it is available in the same place.

Yep, that took care of it. I note that when I deleted the test user, the regular user's web UI became unavailable for about 30 seconds to a minute. I mention it more as a head's up for when someone says "OMG I DELETED $OLDUSER AND YOU DELETED $CURRENTUSER TOO!!!!11!!eleven1!". :)

Any ideas as to what could be causing pretty much every SysV-controlled script to be blowing up? I've compared scripts between the two boxes and I come up with nothing really different.

If you want to try my latest change to using the systemd unit file instead of my init script, you can download the package here.

Okay, first thing's first: It works just fine for me. Uninstalled Syncthing and plugin, manually deleted the config files after backing them up for the users I was using, manually reinstalled syncthing then did a purge of it (just in case), then reinstalled via OMV WebUI and went in.

First I created a dummy one with a different user on different ports from the default. Applied no problem, Syncthing GUI came up right away. Deleted that dummy user, set one up for my original user on the default ports, and for a minute or so I was getting connection refused. Then the UI with mapped folders, Username/Password prompt, and changed theme just like it was before testing popped up. Clearly there's somewhere other than ~/.config/syncthing/ that the user configs are saved.

On a momentary whim, however, I went back to the port that I used for the dummy user, and it was still up and running. Given how heavy scans and syncs can be, that could be bad.

Other than that, seems to be working just fine.

It does, since Syncthing is designed to be per-user sync like Dropbox is. The service it uses is syncthing@.service, and the username running the process goes after the @.

What I can't figure out is why none of the sysvinit wrapped services appear to be working. I'm also more than slightly surprised that Samba doesn't have a native systemd service file, though I wouldn't be shocked to find that that's Debian being a bit lagged.

So, poking around some more, not really trying to "solve" the issue, but just because I can't leave it alone, I tried to figure out why manually doing systemctl start syncthing@root.service worked where systemctl start syncthing.service didn't, I discovered that the former is Syncthing's native systemd setup, whereas the latter is a sysvinit wrapper that systemd uses.

So, looking into it, tftpd-hpa, smbd, and probably xrdp are all using sysvinit scripts and systemd-sysv-install as a wrapper to let systemd control it.

I have no idea WHY sysvinit scripts aren't properly running, but that's what looks like is going on. Any thoughts?

How did you install Linux/OMV without creating a root account? sudo is an Ubuntu idea. Debian uses root. Why are you not using the OMV ISO?

Er... just for the record, sudo is way older than Ubuntu and I use it in Debian (and OMV) all the time. It's in fact recommended practice across all Linux distros to NOT use root and instead use sudo.

The difference being, Ubuntu doesn't even have a root password setup by default. The account's there but they go out of their way to avoid using it.

That said, yeah, it sounds like something strange is in use here.

Unfortunately, that didn't show me any problems. I guess I am back to maybe bad ram?

Two 4GB ECC UDIMMs in the box. I guess it COULD be, but it was running in my main NAS without issues. Unfortunately, running memtest86 on it is non-trivial. On the other hand, Samba is a nice-to-have in this situation, so as long as I can get syncthing running. I'll track it down eventually.

Thanks for the help!

Longer posts sometimes trigger the spam filter. I approved it.

Didn't find anything odd in your output. How about dpkg -l | grep samba

Here we go; heading home now (had a night maintenance) so won't be able to reply until much later, if at all tonight.

Code
    wolfstar@mjolnir:~$ dpkg -l | grep samba
    ii  python-samba                       2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        Python bindings for Samba
    ii  samba                              2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
    ii  samba-common                       2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     all          common files used by both the Samba server and client
    ii  samba-common-bin                   2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        Samba common files used by both the server and the client
    ii  samba-dsdb-modules                 2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        Samba Directory Services Database
    ii  samba-libs:amd64                   2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        Samba core libraries
    ii  samba-vfs-modules                  2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        Samba Virtual FileSystem plugins
    wolfstar@mjolnir:~$

Thanks Ryecoaaron!

Here you go:

On the assumption you'd want it as well, there's nothing in /var/log/samba:

Code
    wolfstar@mjolnir:/var/log/samba$ ls -al
    total 8
    drwxr-x---  2 root adm  4096 Dec 17 16:20 .
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Mar  6 07:35 ..
    wolfstar@mjolnir:/var/log/samba$

Confirmed, JUST in case, that it's also empty for root (sudo).

Works for me. As a note - and I have no idea why this is - I was able to do "systemctl enable syncthing@user.service" and "systemctl start syncthing@user.service" and syncthing is functioning now. I did NOT need to do that on my main NAS, and trying to do systemctl status syncthing@user.service" comes back with the result that it's dead, despite that being the user it's running as, so clearly something weird going on here.

On to SMB, here's the output for smbd.service:

And here's nmbd.service:

Note in both cases the "active (exited)" is in green text.

Syncthing isn't even configured - the only time I got it to run was running it on the command line.

Update went all Hulk on my VPN connection (TINC SMASH!) and I had to back door into it via port forwarding on my parents' router (thank goodness for "Linksys Smart Wifi"). Reboot restored that, and SSH never stopped working or I'd really be hosed, but the reboot did not start up SMB, Syncthing, TFTP, or XRDP.

Just to try it, I'm going through and removing plugins I don't really need. In this case, it's Sensors (which didn't work anyhow; errors every time I try and apply configs - sensors command in shell works just fine though), Remote-mount, remotedesktop, and locate.

Nope, still won't run. I was kind of hoping this would get somewhere since the update included a change from Systemd 215 to 230, but doesn't look like it.