Posts by mbotje

I use i3 4130T with 4GB and it can easily transcode 2 or 3 streams with plex. The downloads will be no problem either.
    I use BtSync (now named resilio) and it now has some trouble transcode 3 streams simultaneously, with a folder of 50GB of my web development files (html, css, images, psd, zip).
    With the i3 6100 and 8GB mentioned above I don't foresee any problems for just transcoding 2 streams.

Everything looks good, except the Red 3TB NAS.
    3TB is faulty, don't buy it.
    I'm currently using it, and I had replaced my drives three times already in one year.

I have been running 2x Wd Red 3TB for almost two years without a single problem.

For the zfs part, I have tested only for a short period. But my conclusion was indeed to make sure you have enough RAM.
    As far as I now, the raidz(2) is not expandable. So you would need to create the complete array at once. But maybe I am wrong?!

Same result

339M mcmyadmin
    167M deluge-daemon
    44K subsonic
    16K extplorer

Nothing really substantial if you ask me..
    I previously had problems with full disks due to the remoteshare plugin (webdav/ davfs2 cache) but the /var/cache/davfs2 folder is empty this time.
    I installed the backup plugin for the system disk but had no time to configure it, could that be it? I don't know where I should be able to find those files if they exist?

I have the problem that I cannot login into the webgui and found that my system disk is full. I can't however find out where the space is gone to.
    Any help is appreciated!

Code
    root@openmediavault:/# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 71G 70G 0 100% /
    devtmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev
    tmpfs 385M 4.5M 380M 2% /run
    /dev/sda1 71G 70G 0 100% /
    tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    tmpfs 1.4G 8.0K 1.4G 1% /run/shm
    tmpfs 1.9G 40K 1.9G 1% /tmp
    /dev/sdb1 2.7T 464G 2.3T 17% /media/743eaf00-aa1b-4cab-a363-6ceeb2a5b88f

Anybody an idea?

First off, it's indeed a long post ;) and took me few minutes to find out what you needed.
    So I believe you need the following: data storage and backup through time machine and streaming of 4k video with the transcoding at the user end. Also no vm on the NAS. Then the hardware you have should be okay if you're network card is supported. The motherboard has 6 sata ports which is nice. The processor and ddr2 should also not be giving any trouble.
    Just try it out;)

I have the node 304 as well and with some puzzling you should be able to get 6 drives in there, I currently have 3 in and that was pretty easy to do.

Okay, that one has indeed some serious power, nice build.
    Good to know about the back port, was it giving problems with certain tasks or just random?

I also noticed you had some problems with the plex pass version, does that work now or are there things I should know about that? Or can I better stick to the normal version? Because I can't really figure out the differences, but I do have a plex pass.

Nice to hear that.

Disk speed should be okay and no problem with the 6 sata 3 connectors.

Yes, I intend to add more disks in the future. And now 3 connectors are taken (1 for system drive) and also the case supports 6 drives so of I want to I can expand to the 6 drives(5 data drives).
    First the reason I don't go with raid is simply because a lot of space is going to be taken by files, downloaded media in particular, that I don't really need redundancy for since I don't mind redownloading most of it when I lose it. But for the backups the redundancy is whished. Second, rsnapshot ( which I will be using) can keep multiple backups/versions which is a feature that I need in one way or another.

Hello,
    thought to share my new build. A while ago I decided to buy a nas and on first instinct I gave my attention to a pre-fab nas (mainly Qnap (ts-420) and synology). But since one of my requirements is for it to be able to use plex to stream to upto 3 devices simultaneously, of which 2 of them need transcoding, I was discouraged when I saw plex's nas compatibility list.
    So my focus went to diy nas, and after some research I came to know that OMV would be software that my needs, both media, backup and accessibility wise, and not the least important the active community ;).

At that moment the focus went to hardware. I wanted it to be able to handle at least 4 drives, which became 5 because OMV requires an system drive. Still I wanted it to be small and low power.

This is the setup:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI (mini itx, 6 sata, 2 dim max 16GB)
    Processor:Intel i3-4130T (2core, 4 threads, 2.9Ghz, 35W tdp)
    Case:Fractal Design NODE 304 (6 internal bays) went with this one because it is pretty cheap and small but still holds 6 drives. Although it will be a puzzle to get everything in place.
    Memory: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL11
    Power supply:be quiet! System Power 7 300W

Hard drives: 1x Seagate barracuda 80GB system drive (had it laying around)
    2x Western Digital Red 3 TB data drives

Data drives will not be in raid but instead I will use rsync plugin for selective disk to disk backup.
    Important data will also be synced to remote location.

The price was
    For the nas: €370,40
    For the data drives: €236,80
    Total:€607,20