Posts by whitetiger

For a little office of 3 or 4 people I thought of installing OMV on their PC that has an AMD F2 5300 CPU (AD5300OKA23HJ).

In addition to RAID5 (4 HDD 1TB), sharing with Win10 PC and backups, I don't think there is any need for anything else.

The CPU is a dual core, but I think it is sufficient.

As memory I thought of 4GB.

What do you think?

The description of each ISO tells you how big the ISOs are and where they are saved:

Spaced used by ISO in /boot directory on OS drive

It looks like your system has 8GB ram. So, the installer creates an 8GB swap partition.

Yes, I had seen the information on their occupation, but I had not understood where he was going to save the ISO.

Boot is in sdb2, right?

So if I save all three ISOs I risk saturating the disk, or almost. It only has 2.80GB free.

I wanted to save Clonezilla, GParted and SystemRescue images for use in an emergency.

I saw that they would be saved on the boot disk.

I installed OMV on a 16GB USB stick, however on the FileSystem page I see that it reports less than half of it.

If those ISOs are saved here, there is not enough space, but there is at least half an unused USB stick.

After struggling to use the Broadcom network card to install OMV, everything proceeds linearly.

But when the initial message appears, there are addresses that I don't explain.

The server is a Dell server, on this there is no installation of VMWare, but only an old Linux Mind.

OMV is installed on a 16GB Sandisk USB stick.

The server is connected to a firewall with DHCP.
    My network is 192.168.101.x

There is no active VMWare server in the whole building.

There are no virtual machines active on any PC.
    The installation of OMV was done directly on the server.

I did the simple installation of OMV and asked me only for the passwords, the mirror, ...

In short, the usual things.

So why am I assigned these addresses?

I copied the drivers, the card is activated and finally now there is Internet.

But the installation of OMV was not successful and several errors appear with the update / upgrade, while there are no updates from the OMV panel.

If everything focuses on Debian, sooner or later these problems happen because Debian does not support Firmware that is not totally Open Source.

It would have been better to use distributions like Ubuntu Server, or at least prepare a guide on how to solve these problems and install additional tools to be used in the terminal.

Ups, ok, now I understand the issue.

You could try to install debian first and then OMV on top. The driver might/should be available during installation of debian.

I tried with Debian, but obviously it didn't find the network card drivers.

I only know of two ways to solve the problem.

1. Mount the USB stick or CD from the terminal to copy the drivers. But I can't do it (or I'm not capable).
    2. Insert the drivers into the installation ISO (or USB stick) so that the drivers are installed immediately.

Can anyone help me?

Alternatively the only thing that comes to mind is to install XDCE and copy the files from the desk.

Ups, ok, now I understand the issue.

You could try to install debian first and then OMV on top. The driver might/should be available during installation of debian.

OK, but is it possible to put the file on the USB stick used to install OMV / Debian so that the network card is recognized and installed immediately?

apt install wget to install wget

wget https://packages.debian.org/buster/all/firmware-bnx2/download/firmware-bnx2_20161130-5_all.deb to download the file

How do I download the drivers for the network card if the network card is not installed?

Is it possible to put the file on the USB stick used to install OMV so that the network card is recognized and installed immediately?

I believe I found the drivers.

Download Page for firmware-bnx2_20161130-5_all.deb

But now I can't understand how to put this file on the server.

I can't do it remotely because the network cards don't work.

From a USB stick (with Fat32 or ext4) it gives me an error when it comes to mounting it.

Since Win10 I have burned a DVD just to contain this file, but also I can't see it.

It's not easy for me, isn't there a guide with the correct commands?

However, I suggest that during the installation some tools are always installed for problems like this.

For example a tools like MC would help without having to resort to the command line.

Not everyone is a expert Linux SysAdmin.

I am trying unsuccessfully to install OMV on a Dell PowerEdge server and it always hangs on the network configuration because it cannot find DHCP.

Even entering the addresses manually, then does not find the mirror.

I can think that there are no drivers for the two network cards, however OMV manages to detect them before asking for the data.

This will tell you which plugins have been depracated and you need to run in docker if you want that service.

I've seen some links related to use of Docker in OMV.

I never used it because I've always been confused and perplexed about two things.

The updates, because it doesn't seem to me to be as simple as a sudo update / upgrade or a couple of clicks in the OMV panel.

I can't run the risk of losing configurations or user's data with an upgrade.

The second concern is related to the exchange between the various containers.

For example, do Duplicati or Nextcloud containers see OMV user folders?

So, if OMV passes from a management with Plugins to a management with Docker there should be a guide to its integration.

If there is, where can I find it?

You see plugins for OMV 4.x where?

I see also the repo for Version 4.

In that version there are many more plugins.

For this reason I was wondering if it was not better to install the 4.

Why are there fewer plugins?

Are they still in development?

======

Update. OK, I saw your link on why the plugins are deprecated and Docker should be used.

Duplicati supports deduplication and client side decryption. So it is ideal for internet backup.

For local backup I prefer rsync. Then you can access the files easily without additional software.

I know how to use rSync, but a user doesn't.

It must be a simple thing to use.

I do the backup automatically, but how can the user restore the files he may have lost?