Beiträge von whitetiger

I am installing a new NAS with OMV.

I have never tested version 5.0 before, so sorry if my question is inappropriate.

Also since yesterday I can no longer access the site https://www.omv-extras.org which is always offline.

I only need to enable:

1. Access to folders from Windows PCs
    2. The backup of these folders on an external folder, for example on a disk inserted in a USB port
    3. The backup of these folders on an Internet backup service, I have not yet decided which one.
    4. The activation of NextCloud for sharing other folders with smartphones or PCs.

Today, what services can I already find integrated or with plugins?

Do you have any suggestions for Internet backup?

Do you have any general suggestions for this installation?

I thank you in advance for your advice

No. All options only copy the OS disk.

I'm sorry but I don't understand.
    In the note of the plugin I read: "fsarchiver - use fsarchiver to clone all partitions to an archive file".
    So what do I copy with dd and what with fsarchiver?
    And, consequently, when do I use dd and when to use fsarchiver?

omv-extras has an option to download the systemrescuecd ISO in the kernel tab (you won't see this if your device is an arm device). It will add entry to grub menu to boot from that iso. The notes in that tab try to describe this.

Fount it, thank you.
    Another clarification.
    After installing the ISO, what is the application that starts by default? The ISO or OMV?

I would like to backup only the boot disk, not the working partitions.
    Using the Backup plugin, if I use dd I only copy the first disk, while if I use fsarchiver I copy everything OMV, including the data partitions.
    It's right?

Reading the forum about the backup I often came across the phrase "Boot SystemRescueCD - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your menu grub."
    I can not understand.
    Is there a plugin to mount an ISO? What is it and where?

My OVM is 4.1.14-1 version
    It is Installed as Virtual Machine in VMWare Workstation 15.
    I'm working in a test lab environment.

The VM is in a Host-Only segment of LAN with IP Address 192.168.3.15
    In this segment there is a firewall with IP 192.168.3.1
    If on this VM (of the firewall) I do
    ping 192.168.3.15 I have an answer.

If I do on the VM of OVM
    ping 192.168.3.1 I have the answer "100% packet lost"
    Obviously I can not access the Internet, for example to make updates.

I can not diagnose the problem

Despite having empty shared folders, I have a lot of GBs busy on the file system.

I think they are related to baskets that have not been emptied by cancellations.
    How can I empty them, from console or from web client?

I have a Microsoft Server 2016 with FileZilla Server installed
    It must be on this server, I can not move it.

The Microsoft server has an OMV shared folder where other programs write files.
    The FTP server needs access to this folder, but I can not.
    On the other hand, FileZilla can obviously easily access a folder on server's hard disk where users do not have access rights.

At this point I can not say if it is Filezilla Server that can only see the folders on its disk or if it is a problem of incorrect rights on the OMV shared folder.

Can you help me diagnose the problem?
    I have some important business application downtime.

Many thanks in advance

Please try omv-firstaid and reconfigure the network interface.

No, always "ping: unknown host google.com", both with DHCP or Static IP address.
    Instead "ping 8.8.8.8" is OK.

I've also tried to connect OMV directly to the router with DHCP, bypassing the firewall. Same result.

I'm not able to resolve names, for example ping google.com or traceroute google.com.
    OMV is visible in the LAN and OMV see the other PC. These are able to resolve Internet names.

Gateway is to IP of the firewall.
    For DNS I've tried:

• IP Firewall
    • IP Firewall and Google DNS
    • Only Google DNS

I disagree that it is not the best solution. If you are re-installing because of problems, then you are doing something wrong. You need a backup.

Matter of principle I agree with you, but if the problems are related to an upgrade went wrong and if this happens several times in a few months, I can not stop every time everything for hours with a restore.

In any case, IMHO, we are all starting from a wrong point.
    The question is very simple: today, even SSD disks have large capacity and also the smallest USB stick have 32GB. Soon these will have 64GB.
    So, no longer makes sense to reserve the entire hard to OMV and then force people to change the configuration.

As soon as possible I return I will experiment with a new OMV server.
    For the moment I thank you all for your cooperation and patience.

Forgive me all of you, but you still do not answer me.
    OMV installing directly on a single hard drive, I can still create shared folders and use it entirely?

No. You can resize the partition and create another one using gparted.

OK, this is a first solution, but unfortunately it is not the best solution.
    In the last six months, after an OMV update, there have been various problems that have forced me to re-install OMV.

After partitioning the disk, as you suggested, the new installation would keep the partition or it would still be used the intere HD, and thus destroying the data partition?

The whole idea of a separate system disk if is that the OS goes wrong you have to only reinstall and having separate data disks means there is no risk of losing that data by overwriting/wiping the partition with the installer.

And so we return to the starting point. Two disks or two partitions?
    Currently OMV is with a single partition that it takes the entire disk.
    So if I do not want to waste 1TB, I must first install Debian, then OMV on Debian