Beiträge von CAH1982

So I tried clonezilla to create image of disk, which completed ok, but then when it verify`s the image i get this

anyways I extracted the gzip to get the images then converted the imagaes to qcow2, then mounted them in a VM but this wouldnt boot

So clonzilla seems easy option to create a image to a external hdd, surely then if the upgrade goes wrong its quick to just restore image to hdd, by quick I mean its a few clicks

If I create the backup with clonezilla etc, how do I import the drive into KVM?

Is there a step by step guide to

Backup the OMV drive (mines sata), like a usb to clone to another drive

Its seems the addons should all work from 6-7?

Just want it so if anything doesnt work, its a case of revert back quickly

Im still on OMV 6.9.15-2.

Not yet updated to 7, need to make sure nothing will fail and backup the boot drive once i have a spare

cheers for updated this though

hi, it shows the bellow

Code
    # This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org)
    # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.
    SHELL=/bin/sh
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
    # m h dom mon dow user    command
    0 3 1 * * root omv-backup-vm -v Win10 -d /mnt/Backup Drive/Backup/CAH1982NAS-Serv/VM Backup/ -k 2 -p -c >/dev/null 2>&1
    0 4 1 * * root omv-backup-vm -v Win11 -d /mnt/Backup Drive/Backup/CAH1982NAS-Serv/VM Backup/ -k 1 -p -c >/dev/null 2>&1

are you goin to say its because I use spaces in the folder names :D

I have this set in schedule, but it never runs. on 1st of each month

If i tell it to manually run it does and completes

cheers, it was a setting on the router, i had to turn off with a very old NAS as that wasnt able to reconnect to after windows reboots, re enabled that and it works, its what adds ".lan" ".local" to the end of the dns names

You have it here.

When this update is available, I might invest in a additional drive and clone it before the update lol

it is all backed up with this, but never restored it in past as i havent needed to :)

oh right thought you meant something needed to be reconfigured to stop the errors coming up

Added "options kvm report_ignored_msrs=0" to /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf

thanks

So this is with ext4 on OMV6 with a NFSv4 mount on your Ubuntu laptop? Seems like I need to review that myself. When you say GUI, you mean an Ubuntu file manager (nemo) dialogue? I can't say whether switching to BTRFS or XFS would change that output at all, but I doubt it would, that jump reflects what should be a near instance clone copy. Personally, I would be fussed about what filesystem I used, but then I guess you mean putting a filesystem on a mdadm raid1 with just two devices, rather than say using a BTRFS radi1 profile directly.

yeah I`ve always used ext4 as i thought that been the native linux type was best, I know newer ones have come out now with more features (duno if theyd even get used)

OMV6 is installed on system

Top 2 are the 2 x Raid, 1 set is SSD othe is HD

Laptop has 22.04 (coreutils8.32) this doesnt do it

VM running 23.10(coreutils9.1) this does work going off network card stats been less than 1mb transfered and a 10gb file copied

GUi as in the Graphical user interface that gets installed with ubuntu, think its gnome

So the above shows how it is on 22.04 no server side copying

On 23.10 that comes up, but stays at 0 bytes, then after 10-15seconds just goes straight to 100% finished

I always used SMB in past and windows 10, which supported server side and you could see speed it was going.

I tried SMB mount on ubuntu, but this is same 0% straight to 100%, which on small files is fine, but on 5-20gb sizes its nice to know its doing it and not just stuck lol

Dont believe im passing anything through

I did at one point pass the USB but disabled that as it didnt work as expected

Cheers, it does look to be doing server side copying, as network adapter shows a few kbs transmitted and recieved, but i transfered a 10gb file from one drive to another took about 30 seconds

The only thing thats not working in the GUi is the percent bar just sits at 0% for that time then jumps to 100%

Will changing the file system make the above work? I`m not too fussed what filesystem im using, but I do prefer it mirror`d so if one fails can just replace

Yeah thats what i was unsure about f core utils needed to be on 9+ on server side

Current ubuntu on latptop doesnt as its core utils 8.32.4, so i was trying it on a VM with ubuntu 23.10 core utils 9.1, i mount the drives in fstab with the below

Code
    192.168.0.11:/export/Test /mnt/Test   nfs auto,nofail,noatime,nolock,intr,tcp,actimeo=1800 0 0

the file system is OMV6 filesystem is ext4, I do copy from HD (mirro raid) to SSD (mirror raid) or SSD to another SSD

So is it just it doesnt work on ext4?

So my NAS runs OMV6

In windows 10/11, I can copy from one mapped drive to another on NAS (different shares and i get 300-500mb/sec

I have started to use unbuntu 22.04, and have mounted the same locations in the GUI but when i copy from one NAS share to another its 15mb/sec so its going though the laptops wireless connection and not server side

What do i need to do to allow server side to work on ubuntu

the shares are in smb

Should OMV be able to ping a local hostname? its fine with google.com etc

MyRouter > 192.x.x.x.x

If i try to ping the hostname it fails, but it will to IP, im doing the host name correct as that works on another debian system

So what would be stopping OMV?

Cheers, I've spent few hours trying to work out why it only showed in Ubuntu as 1.8gb

yeah i was using the sd formatter in windows that said 64gb etc.. in windows could format it and see 60 ish gb to use etc, but put it in ubuntu and it was back to 1.8gb

tried the sd formatter in terminal (ubuntu) that formatted to 1.8gb

that H2testw seems to have fixed it, thanks :)