Beiträge von D-Three

Here's a review of somebody who has the same problem with the UE300 under Linux:

Amazon.co.uk:Customer reviews: TP-Link UE300 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, USB to RJ45 Lan Wired Adapter for Ultrabook, Chromebook, Laptop, Desktop, Plug and Play for Windows (XP/Vista/7/8/8.1), MacOS 10.9/10.10, Linux OS

I use OMV directly.

The KVM plugin in OVM was used to create a virtual machine for the Home Assistant Operating System (linux based)

Also a couple of docker containers.

Althoug I still want to finetune a lot of things. :)

The hardware is simple but mainly selected for low power consumption:

cpu: Intel Core i3-8100

mainboard: Kontron D3674-B (used to be Fujitsu)

memory: 1 x sodimm 8GB Crucial CT8G4SFS824A

ssd: Samsung 980 500GB

storage: 2 x Seagate IronWolf 3TB (1 disk for snapraid)

Power consumption is below 5W when the system is idle and the disks aren't spinning.

I did something similar for a different reason; power saving so that the mechanical disks can spin down when not in use.

Docker containers are on the system drive, that is not a problem. For the config, it's just making sure you make a reference to the correct drives. For example for Jellyfin, my volumes are defined like this:

Code
        volumes:
          - /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6eb33da5-20d2-41cb-82a4-b603fa67b038/docker/jellyfin:/config
          - /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6c792fb1-bd8c-493b-9d3b-6a1870d4b7f2/video/tvshows:/data/tvshows
          - /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6c792fb1-bd8c-493b-9d3b-6a1870d4b7f2/video/movies:/data/movies

As you can see, the id's of the drives are different, the config is on my SSD, the data is on my HDD.

I also wanted a shared folder on my SSD. For this you need the openmediavault-sharerootfs plugin. This allows creating shared folders on the system drive. If you don't need this, don't install it ;)

But finally I ended up partitioning the drive by booting GParted Live from an USB stick. I made the system partion much smaller, I believe 32 GB, and made a 2nd partition on the SSD of the remaining space. That keeps my system, config and data really seperated. I also use that partition to store my virtual machine for example. An advantage is that I now have included that partition in SnapRAID. Also if I accidentally fill up that partition, it has no influene on the system partition. Containers are still on the system drive, for that I make a weekly backup of the system to the HDD.