Beiträge von Spy Alelo

I know some of you still use the 32bit version, but just FYI, just about any CPU made in 2006 and above can handle a 64bit OS. That even includes the last Pentium 4s and up to Atom based systems. No real reason to stick around with a 32bit binary if your system can handle 64bits ;)

Thanks @ryecoaaron.

We don't have the blueprints of the pinout in my lab since we don't work with the power & cooling side of the servers. As far as the PCIe slots, the slots are enabled but they were reserved for expansion slots and proprietary add-ons. Even though they are 100% electrically compatible with PCIe, you may have problems with clearance due to the position of the slot. I would test this outside of the case first with a card that is not critical to you, on top of a piece of foam that can cover the entire bottom of the board. If the card shows up and is functional, you should be okay. Don't update the system ROM until you are sure that everything works the way you want it.

*Hint:
    Usually, we use the red wire for power, yellow for tach, blue for PWM and black for ground. You can at least find the power pin if you have a multi-meter and should be able to find it if you measure 12v. The ground is also easy to find, just put the meter on continuity test and probe each pin with one lead, while the other lead is on a known ground plane. When it beeps, you'll know. Tach and PWM will not hurt anything if you have them backwards. Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply. That's quite an old server, I don't even think I have anything older than G7 in the lab to be able to tell you what's in it but I can tell you for sure that AMCC usually has 3ware chipsets for their RAID controllers, so most likely this is an off-the-shelf card. The HP RAID plugin wouldn't work with it, only the controllers we make do.

The SD cards can be of any brand and they appear as USB drives to the BIOS, so you may want to just move USB devices to the top on the boot order. The idea is to load ESXi on these cards, but just about any OS can be loaded.

It depends on the source. It might be able to do transcoding at less than 720p, but it may choke beyond that. Remember that you are exclusively using the CPU for transcoding without GPU assistance.

According to iLO, you are losing power from the power supply directly. Remember that iLO is to remain always on even if the server itself has been powered off. In other words, for as long as iLO has power, it will be up and running no matter what. If you have the server on a UPS that has a battery more than 2 years old, try bypassing it for now. Check that the AC cable is secure to the power supply.

Also, the logs we need are the AHS logs. Download them from iLO (they are quite large) and send them to tech support.

-Grub is very small. Any size usb or microSD drive will do.
    -OMV itself will not take more than 2GB installed with some plugins. A 32GB drive is enough since is the smallest one you can get. Personally, I am using a 120GB SSD.
    -The SSD will connect to the optical drive port. Any SATA cable will do.

I have seen some compatibility issues with Crucial SSDs on SATA 3 (6Gbps) mode, not just on some Proliant servers but also other makes such as Intel and Asus. What's weird is that this is more prevalent when using backplanes for quick removal, but if is wired directly to the board, they seem to behave better. And by better, I mean recognized at least 70% of the time.

I have also seen that behavior where in Legacy mode, the SSD does get recognized and my theory is that the drive is forced to link on SATA mode 1, then the controller takes care of the IDE translation layer. I've tried switching cables, backplanes, just about everything and I still had issues on AHCI mode. Using an Intel or Samsung SSD (is what I had on-hand) didn't have any issues with these boards. I have not tested the Crucial SSDs on the Microserver, but it seems odd that you have the same problem I had with other boards. Try wiring it straight to the optical drive port and see if you get the same issue. Also, try another brand that works on SATA 3 mode to see if you can still replicate it. I don't know if you can force these drives to SATA 2 or 1 on AHCI mode, but if that's possible, that's also worth a try just for troubleshooting purposes. Keep in mind, I'm not suggesting to leave it on those modes, so don't flame me for that lol

I could have sworn he already tried AHCI mode. I think I'll have to make a separate thread with FAQs for this server, this thread is so hijacked at this point that is hard to keep track of anything.

For some reason I am not getting notifications from this thread. So your SSD is not booting when the controller is on AHCI mode? I assume it is on bay one. I'll have to test that on Monday when I come back to the lab. I'm sorry guys, but I've been so busy that I hardly have time for anything anymore.

Can you try installing a regular hard drive (any size will do) and replicate the issue? I want to see if this is an issue with SSDs only.

The majority of this thread is the fact that once you add more than one drive, the ODD port is no longer a viable option to boot from with a hard drive. The reason is the over-simplified boot menu:

1- CD-ROM
    2- Hard Disk 1
    3- Network
    4- USB Drive

In this example, the BIOS will boot on that sequence regardless of where the drives or disks are. So for example, even if you have a drive on the ODD port but also there's a drive in any of the front bays, whichever is the first disk available in the bays will be the one and only attempt of booting. The ODD port enumeration is number 5 out of 5, so it would be the last and always superseded by any other hard drive. If you had an actual CD drive, it would be the first one to boot as suggested by the list even if it was one on a USB port or an ISO over iLO.

You will have to do what everyone has been doing, and that is to put a boot loader that points to your OMV drive in a microSD card or a USB drive, and make sure that USB is the first option on the boot sequence.

On which SATA port is the boot drive connected?
    Also, could you please try to make a screenshot with your computer instead of your camera the next time? Sorry but is very hard to read the info with those shots. You can use the Snipping Tool that Windows has built-in to make the screenshots.

Well I need more info before I can give you any more help. Let's start with this:

1. Server model. I assume that this is a Microserver Gen8?
    2. BIOS version
    3. iLO firmware version. It should say something like iLO4 1.50, or iLO3 1.80.

If you have a Microserver Gen8, iLO4 is already embedded. And trust me, is the best thing we can use to troubleshoot your issue and allows full remote control of your server. iLO4 doesn't require any kind of 3rd party software. Just connect the Ethernet port labled iLO on your network, and when you boot the server again it should give you the iLO IP during POST. Use that IP in a web browser from any computer in your network and it will give you most of the information I need. If you need more info about it, here's a link:

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-e…t/emr_na-c03334051-11.pdf

Hi Rushchi. Can you make me a screenshot of your current boot order while in RBSU? Also, have you tried changing the boot order with the server in the off state, and then change it with iLO? Include your System ROM (BIOS) version, and your iLO version as well when you reply.

The only reason I use SSD is because I don't have to worry about mechanical wear (notice how I underlined that word). Even though it is still too early to know if they are in fact more reliable, I've been using the same SSD for 5 years now without an issue. I've already gone through a few HDDs belonging to the array within the same amount of time, so for me it works well.

Other benefits can be less power use, less heat and no added noise. Limited case space can be an issue with smaller setups, so using something like mSATA or M.2 drives is also a good idea. To each its own really, but I've had a good experience so far.