Posts by mischka

As far as I know, the Odroid HC2 has a Samsung Exynos 5422 (Cortex-A15 / Cortex-A7) as SoC and it is only 32 bit capable. The successor HC4 has an Amlogic S905X3 (Cortex-A55) SoC. It is 64Bit capable.

I assume that the network works (otherwise execute the command omv-firstaid in the terminal/SSH) and OMV fails at DNS resolution. Under OMV/Network/Interfaces, select the network interface, then click on Edit and enter a DNS server under Advanced Settings/DNS Server (Google (1.1.1.1) or any other). I have entered the local Ip4 address of my Fritzbox. This then forwards the DNS request via pihole. And as Somas said, don't use apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Use the command "omv-upgrade" or update via the OMV web interface.

Ich gehe davon aus das das Netzwerk funktioniert (ansonsten im Terminal/SSH den Befehl omv-firstaid ausführen) und OMV an der DNS Auflösung scheitert. Unter OMV/Netzwerk/Schnittstellen die Netzwerkschnittstelle auswählen, dann auf Bearbeiten klicken und unter Erweiterte Einstellungen/DNS Server einen DNS Server eintragen (Google (1.1.1.1) oder irgend einen anderen). Ich habe bei mir die lokale Ip4 Adresse meiner Fritzbox eingetragen. Die leitet dann die DNS-Anfrage über pihole weiter. Und wie Somas schon sagte nicht apt-get update und apt-get upgrade verwenden. Verwende den Befehl "omv-upgrade" oder aktualisiere über die Web-Oberfläche von OMV.

is the shutdown command better than sleep?

It's hard to say. It depends on the hardware. It is important for me whether it starts again on request via WakeOnLan. My Asrock itx board only boots via WakeOnLan if it has been shut down via autoshutdown. This also works in the event of a short-term power interruption/short-term power failure. After shutdown, WOL requires normal boot from disk. A Brix J3160 from Gigabyte, for example, only starts via WakeOnLan if it has been sent to sleep via autoshutdown. I think that the hibernation mode costs a bit more power and the OMV is available again faster via WOL. The data/system is in RAM. In the event of a short-term power failure, however, the PC will not boot up again in sleep mode via WOL.

Primary NAS:

Asrock J5040 itx board

PicoPSU 120Watt + 12V/50 Watt Power Supply

8GB RAm (2x4GB DDR4)

Old airy ITX case

16 GB Sata SSD (Sandisk U110) for system and Jellyfin containers

4TB SATA SSD for data (Transcend)

Backup NAS:

Dell Wyse 5070 Thin Client with J4105 and 65 Watt Power Supply

8GB Ram (2x4GB DDR4)

System + Jellyfin on built-in 16GB eMMC

4TB Sata m.2 SSD for data (Transcend)

Dell Wyse only occasionally in operation to back up the primary NAS.

Primary and backup NAS run fanless.

This can be reversed. The line Remove "Blacklist R8169" in

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-r8169.conf

sudo apt purge r8168-dkms

sudo reboot

The last thing I would try would be to install the pve kernel. Install OMV > plugin >Openmediavault kernel and then Proxmox kernel 6.2.x install, restart and run omv-firstaid in the terminal, edit the Network.

Maybe it helps to install the RTL8168 driver and blacklist the RTL8169 driver, see:

sudo apt-get install r8168-dkms

echo "blacklist r8169" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-r8169.conf

sudo reboot

Step-by-step - Debian Bullseye Realtek RTL8168 Driver Installation • Page 2 of 3 • tutorialforlinux.com
    InstallingGNU/Linux Debian Bullseye Realtek RTL8168 Driver Setup Guide Hi! The Tutorial shows you Step-by-Step How to Install Realtek RTL8168 Wireless Driver…
    tutorialforlinux.com

A lot has been written about the Dell Wyse 3040 in these forums. Just try the search! Debian 11 works if you tinker a little, just like Debian 12. You can use a script to install OMV after installing Debian 11 (see OMV's Internet Manual). I had Debian 11 running with pihole on the Wyse 3040. Now pihole runs with Debian 12 on this thin client.

Blackview there are quite a few mini PCs. What kind of Blackview is it? What kind of CPU is installed?

I would first activate the backports via OMV's web interface. OMV->System->omv-extras->enable Backports

or via ssh

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Insert the line

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports main contrib non-free

then save with ctrl+o and exit with ctrl+x nano. The firmware package is from 2023. Then I would install the firmware-realtek (20230210-5~bpo11+1) [non-free] from the backports via ssh.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install firmware-realtek

sudo reboot

Per Download:

Debian -- Paket-Download-Auswahl -- firmware-realtek_20230210-5~bpo11+1_all.deb

There is nothing wrong with using an RPi3/4/5 as a NAS. I use two of them as backups of my primary.

I just said that I wouldn't use a Rpi as a NAS. At least not as a primary NAS with Docker and containers. As a backup NAS, which you turn on from time to time, that's something else. I didn't say that it's wrong to use an Rpi. Everyone can do what they want. For me (and by that I mean only me) the disadvantages outweigh the disadvantages. With an x86 machine, I think you have more options. The power consumption is lower with a Raspi than with a computer with an Intel N or J processor. Thanks to Autoshutdown, wakeonlan and PicoPSU on the x86 computer, the whole thing is put into perspective again. My J5040 computer is passively cooled and works absolutely silently. With the PCIex interface and RTC, the Rpi 5 offers more possibilities than the Pi's before. In order to use the PCIex interface for data carriers, additional investments are again required. You need an m.2 (NVME) or a Sata hat. In this case, the data carriers must be supplied with external power. So you also need at least one case with SATA and power connection. Are there such cases for sale or does it ultimately come down to tinkering? At some point, there will be a relatively expensive case for the Rpi 5 with a sata hat, power supply, and space for third-party disks. Then the whole thing looks tidy. In the end, it will be easier and cheaper to attach a USB hard drive to the Rpi 5 in an external case than to deal with SATA.

I have my 4 old 3Tb drives using BTRFS with raid0 (which is what OMV set up).

Raid 0? This means a capacity of 12 TB for 4x3TB drives. If a drive breaks, all data is gone. Wouldn't it be more sensible to use mergefs instead of Raid 0? Then only the data of the defective hard drive is gone. I don't use RAID and back up to a second NAS on a thin client and a time-delayed to an external USB hard drive, which is only turned on when backing up. Raid from Raid 1 is only for reliability, is not a backup and contributes only to data security to a limited extent. In addition, raid means increased power consumption and higher hardware costs. In contrast to Germany, electricity costs do not yet seem to play a major role in many countries.

Based on my experience with a Raspi 4, I would not use a Raspi 5 for a NAS. In addition to the Raspi, you still have to buy the case, power supply and SATA-Hat. An m.2 Sata SSD will probably be mounted on top of the Sata-Hat. I don't know if there is a hat with "real" SATA connections. You still have to "tinker" with it. Then you quickly get to 150 euros. If you don't want it to look tinkered, you have to pay more money for the case. In my opinion, there are better alternatives. As a backup NAS, I now use a Wyse 5070 with a 4TB Sata m.2 SSD.

The board is for Intel CPU of the 8th/9th generation and should have no problems with OMV/Debian 11. You have probably already reset or deleted BIOS settings (via jumper or temporarily remove battery). I would test if the computer boots with a Linux Live system (Live USB stick). You don't have to install anything. I would test this with various Linux Live systems (Ubuntu, Manjaro, Debian) on a USB stick. If there are also problems, I think the board has a hardware problem (e.g. SATA controller) or the CPU is defective. You could also try installing OMV on a USB drive. I have here a Fujitsu Esprimo Q558 running a D3603 board with Proxmox. This works perfectly. Of course, it's different from your board.

The installation is possible by first installing Debian, then restarting with the Debian installation stick and copying or creating or linking the file bootx64.efi to the EFI/boot directory. After that, you can start Debian 11 and install OMV via the installation script. You don't do any damage. I use a Wyse 3040 for pihole. Whether it makes sense to use a Wyse 3040 as a NAS is another matter. But that's also the case with the Raspi. As with the Raspi, the data drive can only be connected via USB 3. The 2 GB RAM and the 8 GB eMMC should be enough for the system. I wouldn't run Docker, containers on the ATOM machine. The Wyse 3040 should have about the same performance and almost the same power consumption as a Raspi 4 and is better suited for OMV than a Raspi in my opinion. The part has RTC, UEFI and you can use autoshutdown. I bought two wyse 3040 during the Raspi crisis for 35 euros each.

He writes "Only Windows boots normally after installation. All Linux-based distributions behave the same way, as I wrote above.". So this is not just an OMV problem. Maybe the board's EFI can't find the Debian/OMV startup file. I would be interested to know which Linux distributions he has tested. There is also such a problem with the Dell Wyse 3040. Since the operating system does not start after installing Debian. Enter "Dell Wyse 3040 Debian install" via Google. Maybe this will help them