Beiträge von crashtest

Compared to some I know, yeah, my hobbies are real cheap. Maybe a hundred dollars or so over 3 or 4 months.

I'm working on my last room. (For my hobbies and activities.) One more coat of paint, lay the flooring and baseboard, and done. From there, it's minor things, shelves for two closets, touch up paint, etc. Really, I need to get out there while the weather is cooler, but still reasonable, and cut next years wood. At least one, maybe two days will be dedicated to that this week. I do have some inside electrical work to do, along with a bit of cat5e.
    The bathrooms, which really need work, are going to wait until next spring, possibly until next fall. (There's nothing wrong with them other than being ugly and tired looking.)

I'm still giving thought to the 3D printer as well.

I'm going to build OMV on the Intel server to see how that works out but, if I get the 2nd CPU and a gross of memory, I'm going to give ESXi or maybe Proxmox a try. I seriously doubt that my pool will grow much larger than 2TB (currently 1.4TB) so I should be able to do a few more things with the server beyond running OMV.

I bought the Intel server. I'm calling it a "hobby" expense. While a bit dated, it will become my second server that has actual server grade hardware. With the gross quantity of ECC RDIMMS out there, for older platforms, I can put a ton of memory in it for peanuts. Also, a second Xeon is around $5 to $10 USD. The result of two CPU's will be a Passmark of 8000+. (The same as my fastest client. :) )

Those spec's, with lots of RAM, will let me run ESXi and virtualize with ease. Maybe Proxmox? As I may be shut-in with snow this winter, along with updating the User Guide, I'll have something to do.

You are certainly the better expert for OMV than me. But anyway, can you please recheck your answer. Seems you were missing one level of reference in the hierarchy in your answer.

@ryecoaaron doesn't miss much and he is the expert in this subject and most others like it - like "Linux" in general. And he's even a good excellent electrician. (I had to edit "good". In addition to Phase Angle Theta and a Power factor of 1, theory stuff, he knows how to wire like an artist. :thumbup: )

Services (like SMB) do reference shared folders.
    When the Shared folders are not referenced anymore by any services, the Shared folder tab (like in my screenshot) show a "No" under references. Please note, that your sentence starts with "filesystem" while my screenshot (which you where refering to) was about shared folders.

There is a hierarchy involved. (And while it may not apply to you, for others who may read this thread.)

Physical Drive
    - (Physical drive services like SMART tests and monitoring)
    - (Volume & sub-volume types, if any (LVM, RAID, etc.)
    File system
    - (file system services like encryption)
    - share only services, if any (like rsnapshot)
    Services (Rsync, SMB)

NTFS on an external drive - that's a wild card,, and when you say you had an NFS share based on an NTFS drive share.... While I don't use NFS now, I had an experience where an NFS share just wouldn't go away.

Also, there's your upgrade to consider. Going from OMV 3 to 4, especially if this problem existed in OMV3... Rebuilding, sometimes, makes sense. From a time standpoint alone, a rebuild is better than chasing a phantom problem.

Here's to hoping that it works out for you but, if it doesn't and you have to rebuild, consider booting on a USB drive and cloning your boot drive. How to do that (a USB boot drive and cloning) is in this guide.

If you rebuild, I'd unplug your data drive, build your boot drive and when all is updated and healthy, plug in and mount the data drive. The content, in your various folders, will still be there.

While I'll concede that there may be a real problem - it only takes 1 reference of some kind to prevent deleting the file system and, after that, the drive. Since that means finding the reference(s) or a rebuild, it doesn't hurt to ask and one reference is easy to miss.

First, go to System, Plugins and find the openmediavault-resetperms plugin. Install it.

After the plugin is installed, then you'll have the "Shared Folder in Use" tab, as shown in the post above. If you have any services attached to shared folders that are gone, again as shown, you'll have an indication of where to go to find the service and delete it. In the example, there was an Rsync job (requires that the appropriate configured job under Services, Rsync be deleted), a SMB network share (required that the appropriate network share under Services, SMB/CIF be deleted), and finally the shared folder itself.

(**But,, the shared folder itself, where you got your error, can't be deleted until all services attached to it are gone.**)

Depending on what you configured on the missing drive, there may be several items to remove.

Beyond the above:

What file system was the dead drive using?
    If you were using anything that required a plugin, such as ZFS or UnionFS, it might be necessary to delete and reinstall the plugin.

Also, other plugins like LVM, rsnapshot, disk encryption, etc., can reference a file system and hold it.

As noted, in the above exercise, the drive was not there either. (As in deleted, gone, and missing on the file system page.)

The drive doesn't have to exist to delete the file system associated with it. However, to delete the file system, references to the drive can not exist.

Even with "Status" Missing, if "Referenced" is No; the Delete button should be available. If the Delete button is not available, that's not normal behavior. Perhaps there's a fix or patch for this ( @ryecoaaron 's advice above) but, as a matter of preference, I'd consider rebuilding to insure the install is clean and clear of other potential issues.

Zitat von Buers

flmaxey: "Note that deconfiguring a drive must be done in the same order that it was configured, but in reverse order. "

Well, my drive died. It seems that OMV needs a working drive, to properly remove it? Of course, I may not have understood, how to do it.. When I try to remove the file system of the dead drive from shared folders, I get the errors described above. OMV shows me, that there are no references left to the shared folder. (I had removed CIFS/SMB references before).

Even with a missing drive, "de"configuring works with EXT4.

I just ran through the entire process in a VM:

1. Install a new drive
    2. Create a file system. (EXT4)
    3. Mount the file system
    4. Create a shared folder (Music)
    5. Create an Rsync Job that references the shared folder.
    (Run the Rsync job to populate the shared folder with files)
    6. Share the folder to the network with SMB/CIF

I have the "Reset Perm's" plugin installed which provides the Shared Folder in Use tab in Access Rights Management, Shared Folders. (In the following: Ignore Music_R_OMV - that's a file system, on another server, added by Remote Mount .)

So, on the local Data drive;
    - I have "Music", added as a shared folder.
    - I referenced the shared folder, music, with an Rsync job.
    - I put the shared folder on the network with SMB/CIF

I then removed the data drive - as in it's completely gone. Storage, File Systems shows it as "Missing".

6. I deleted the SMB/CIF share - music.
    5. I deleted the Rsync Job that references the music folder
    4. I deleted the shared folder Music
    3. I unmounted the file system (EXT4)
    2. I deleted the file system.
    1. The drive is already gone.

Using the screen above, at step 4, you'd need to remove all services, (Rsync, SMB, etc.) from each of your shared folders, then delete the shared folders themselves. Check Shared Folder in Use to insure all has been removed.

After that, you should look for any configured SMART TESTS set for the physical drive and SMART Monitoring. Delete those as well. After than, delete the file system. If the drive is still in the machine, in Physical drives, wipe it or physically remove (if you haven't already).

By chance do you have Plex or Emby installed? If you do, and you have a lot of media files, the folder where these managers store metadata can grow to enormous sizes. The more media files added (or as these media managers search out media file related data), the larger the metadata folder grows.

I also had a problem, early on, with UrBackup. Urbackup was trying and failing to backup a UEFI client that had a problem. That resulted in a growing collection of temp files. Once the backup was successful, UrBackup erased the temp files.

That mod looks really good. No glue or tape marks - definitely not the work of a colonist... It looks factory!
    (Are you sure you did that? :) )

Along the lines of those extra drives, I read that BTRFS doesn't play well with virtualization so it's good thing that you went with EXT4. As it seems (and I suspected) BTRFS still has a l-o-n-g way to go. (Look at what " StephanIT Professional" had to say in a fairly recent post on this page.) I sincerely hope OMV does not go the BTRFS route in OMV5. BTRFS is not ready and, as I look at Stephan's Pro's and Con's, I suspect it will be years before it is.

Forget to slip this in, wife brings home a laptop from school, there is a bank of 16, for whatever reason their IT support have not recommissioned them after a new server install...no one seems to know why.....

/---/ just waiting for the poo the hit the fan because the head is currently off sick. /---/

Added to that the school has a laptop in the hall for assemblies etc, the IT company can't get that to 'stay connected to the network'

Regarding the School:

You know, comprehensive IT services are just not that hard and with the wireless appliances available of late, it's relatively easy to come up with campus level networking designs and solutions that are robust. I mean, really...

(Back in the day) A friend of mine tried to get me to join him (when we were on a trip to the UAE) in setting up a business for networking, wireless, and IT services for businesses in the UAE. While work was never been about the money, provided that me and mine are comfortable of course, there was (is) a ton of money to be made if one is merely "competent". Value added, with some tech bells and whistles? That means the service contract would be renewed every year. If not, there would be plenty of other takers because service in this field is, generally, "iffy" at best.

Lately, since we're usually talking about an office suite and web browsers (not high end games), even slower performing hardware will do a decent job with Win7 to Win10. Unless one BS'es the customer into buying new hardware, no doubt with a reseller mark up, the older stuff would work fine and there might even be a few coins in reconfiguring it to work in the new topology.

The card is coming from Hong Kong. (That's a distinction without a difference these days.)
    The cables shipped from California.

On the mobo I'll be using to flash the card, no, it's not UEFI. The mobo I'll eventually use the card with has yet to be determined.
    Why? Does this card have problems with UEFI?

You install before you flash. But yes I disconnected all drives, installed card, flashed, verified firmware changed (guide didn't tell you to I just felt like it was a good step to take.) installed the OS drive, ran omv-first aid ( I was switching motherboard) once OMV was up and running I shut down and connected the data drives.

Well I was thinking, install and connect a drive. (The controller would have to be there and ready.)
    But I can see, with my wording, what you mean. :D

I bought an H200, on E-bay, and two 3 foot cables so I can connect 8 port. Now we'll see if I get it.

Finally got the SS mesh fitted to the dock and inside the door as an extra dust filter

Where's the pic? I want to see if it's real home brew, maybe with some card board and "duck" tape. (You know, I saw a commercial with a little girl, turning a roll of duct tape over and really looking at it. She said; "Why would anyone want to tape a duck"? Funny )

The Ethernet interface on the EX470 started acting up again. I could see the interface light flashing rapidly, as if it was on the end of an Ethernet broadcast storm. (Connected to a good switch.) And it was doing the massively delayed ping thing again.

I've read on this forum and in other places that the ethernet interface (a sis191) on this box is generally not compatible with Linux. It worked, at first, so I ignored it thinking new kernels took care of the compatibility problem. Apparently not. I ordered one of those USB 2 to Ethernet dongles for it. (A $1.28 special out of China.) It will take it a couple weeks to a month to get here. Until then, I've set it to reboot at midnight daily. If it gets stuck, a reboot frees it up. It's curious that nothing is in the logs.

I'll test the dongle with it (for at least a couple months) and if that fixes it great. Otherwise, I'm looking for something els.

I bought a Dell Perc H200 and two of those mini SCSI cable thingies for 4 sas/sata ports. I'll have to flash it but... (8 ports!) I have a server case so I'm giving thought to building something if the EX470 has to be scraped. Any mobo (literally), with the Perc card and other parts that I have, would be better than the EX470 but, sadly, it would also spin the meter faster.

Along those lines, I'd prefer server grade hardware throughout and I was looking at one of these before. -> Older Intel Server
    I think you said your retired one of these before. It uses RDIMM's, cheap on the auction sites, and getting a 2nd Xeon for it is like 5 to $10. (The passmark for the 2 CPU's would be a bit north of 8000 - which is way more than I'd need.) I could set up ESXI, on it and virtualize with the CPU power and RAM available for this box.)

What do you think? If you have experience with it, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Really an old PC is the way to go, to figure things out, and most old PC's have at least 2 sata ports, possibly 4. If booting from a USB drive, 2 spinning drives for data is enough and a USB dock or adapter could be used for a dedicated UrBackup drive. Work on it, tune it, backup data, clone the OS, etc. You'll get an idea of the performance you want / need, disk space requirements, etc.

What's really nice about OMV is that you might be able to move a preconfigured USB boot drive to another hardware platform, plugin your data drives and be in business on better hardware.

Take a look at this guide for general build information and how to get started.

Things that would help, in advance, is at least some idea of the size of your data store. This would help you to determine what size and/or how many disks. In the guide, general guidance along these lines is provision storage that will house your current data store with a 25 to 50% fill rate. So, 6TB of disk real-estate would be a good start for 1.5 to 3TB. (This is GENERAL guidance.) Depending on the size of disks used, you'd have an indicator of the case needed, sata ports, etc.)

Traditional RAID,,, generally not a good idea. RAID is about availability, not redundancy and it's certainly not backup. (These are common misunderstandings.) If you fully backup your data store, to an internal or external disk, the risk of data loss is substantially reduced. Backup is far more important than RAID.

I have a preference for ZFS, but couldn't recommend it. It has great features and can be used right out of the box, but understanding what it is, how to use it's features, etc., takes a bit of time. I'm not using it for availability either. It's a zmirror (the rough equivalent of RAID 1) used solely for bitrot protection and self healing files.

The safe disk array alternative, if that's what you're looking for (combining disks into a pool), would be a combination of UnionFS and SNAPRAID. (They're simple and reliable but, again, if you haven't heard of them before there's a slight learning curve.)

The easiest possible way to set up a data store, with full backup, is with two disks (6TB each). Disk 1 is the data store, and Disk 2 is a full 100% backup, using Rsync. This can be automated and how to do it is in the guide.

If you want to expand later, UnionFS can be used to expand the data store and, with an extra disk added for SNAPRAID you'd have the functional equivalent of a RAID array. (But with better features when compared to traditional RAID.)

Transcoding requirements are in the guide but it should be noted that, if using a utility like handbrake, media files can be recoded to a native format for phones and tablets. (There's a video how-to for doing this automatically.) Without transcoding, streaming in a native format is rough equivalent of a slow file copy. Accordingly, CPU requirements drop dramatically.

For Client backup, I'm using UrBackup with a separate 3TB drive that's not part of my data store. If you don't keep large data stores on clients drives (data really should be on a server) a 2 or 3TB drive will be sufficient for your client backup needs, as stated.

In any server platform ECC is recommend along with some form of bitrot protection for the data store.
    (Another excellent feature of SNAPRAID.)

Before diving in with a hardware purchase, without really understanding what you need, have you got an old PC? You could build OMV on it and see if it's what you're looking for. Build OMV on a USB drive and use the internal drive as a data disk. (Or maybe buy a 6TB drive, install it, and go from there?)

I'll say this much from experience, OMV on x64 platforms is stable, easy to use, and highly extensible. If you go this way, I think you'll be surprised at the numerous server add-on's and Dockers available. From a simple (but technically sophfisticated) file server, to media servers, downloaders, a Virtual Box platform for virtualization, there's something in OMV for everyone.

QNAP? If you don't want to invest a bit of time and effort, maybe a QNAP is for you. On the other hand, you'll be shelling out a premium for the hardware and, when they stop supporting it (as all commercial products do), you might end up right back here, installing OMV on it as a new operating system.

One thing I'm noticing though....I'm now using a 120GB SSD as my OS drive. However, when I install OMV it seems to automatically partition it to around 80GB with couple of smaller and unused partitions. Any idea why this happens?

That one would be best answered by the Dev's - RE the OMV4 install scripts. I use USB drives so the setup is much smaller, no swap, etc.

Didn't know Gibson did that one, got some interesting results, which included 2 dns servers from own isp which I was not aware of, and cloudflare didn't make the top 50!

It's a great utility that will customize results, based on location.

Your results are interesting because your Net connection is probably on an access node, very close to the WEN loop (Western European fiber Network). The WEN has low latency to most major communications nodes (and cloudflare) world wide. While ISP traffic shaping may be part of it, your results are an indication that no one size fits all. If users don't want to test DNS latency, public servers that support ANYCAST would be the way to go. And, as previously stated, servers that support DNSSEC are always a good idea. (Just my opinion.)

So I don't believe that my ISP is manipulating DNS traffic as they are a smaller local company rather than a large bunch of assholes like AT&T, etc.
    But I could trial a public DNS server to see how that compares. I just feel like Google provides the servers for the sole purpose of collecting data on people.

Google probably does collect on those who use them, but there's literally no way to prevent a service provider from logging your internet activity. On the other hand, one of my ISP's is Comcast who is a known DNS manipulator. I refuse to use their DNS. ((Microsoft's telemetry servers are another matter altogether. Pi-hole is effective in limiting M$'s data collection from your workstations.))

Since you have one of the smaller IPS's, take a look at this free utility for testing DNS servers. (Depending on how you're configured, test results might be more accurate if Pi-hole is off-line.)