Beiträge von hgeorgescu

Hi Diego. Thanks for following up. I've almost given up on omv... :( I think OMV plugin had a problem with my pools configured with slog and l2arc on SSD partitions, and not dedicated disks.
    I removed since the slog and l2arc from the pools' definitions, but I also removed OMV install - I'm not too sure of the maturity of the zfz part, and I don't have the time to fiddle with it.

Probably I'll need to go back to an environment where zfs is native, and the use of the storage is not constrained, or change my storage config - (which I did). I see you use omv with zfs, but on an earlier version - is it a "production" environment (as much as a home media server can be) and are you satisfied with it (absence of issues, stable)?
    Best

Hi, I just installed OMV 5 followed by ZFS plug-in following two recent YouTube videos by the project lead.
    Next I imported from ZFS menu a couple of pools from a disk set coming from a FreeBSD installation.

OMV-ZFS gave the following error (in attachment), but I've been able to import the pools and the filesystems are shown properly in OMV WEB UI.
    The only problem is that ZFS menu section in OMV is not usable (there is nothing displayed).
    Any suggested way to resolve the problem?
    Thank you

Hello;
    I'm new to OMV and I'm quite impressed by its looks, and features, hopefully I will be also successful in using it. I started checking it out a couple of weeks ago, and had to stop, and then started again. I installed it on top of a debian installation, for more flexibility.
    Many thanks to all developers for sharing this software.

I want to report a problem, after trying to use snapraid plugin, as none of my drives show up in the menu. The instructions I found here http://omv-extras.org/simple/i…d=guide-aufs-and-snapraid are straight forward, and didn't warn of any possible problems.

I found also this link Error in SnapRAID plugin after update which mentions the same problem, but the remedy is rather cryptic. Hopefully someone can help me with additional details, and the plugin author can upgrade the install notes with a troubleshooting section.

I tried to install also zfs (ZOL) from a terminal session - since OMV doesn't support it yet, but it didn't compile properly, and I abandoned. The errors appear to indicate that ZOLrequires an earlier version of the kernel, and I didn't want to downgrade. Since I'd like to keep all the management from OMV interface, I'll just wait for the new zfs plugin to become available.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Hello;

I'm new to OMV. Tried yesterday my first installation, on a home built server which initially was intended to run FreeNas:
    asus m5a99x evo r2.0 motherboard
    16GB ECC ram
    LSI 9240-8i Raid card, reimaged in IT - plain HBA.
    One Intel Pro 1000GT network card, in addition to the on-board port.
    4x3TB Toshiba hard drives, planning to add a 5th soon.
    Started with a RAID6 setup.
    OS on a Crucial SSD
    I'd appreciate some comments relative to the following questions:

Storage:
    - are there any functionality drawbacks aside from the obvious lack of real time parity calculation, in using aufs and snapraid, oposed to a RAID 5 or 6? The reason I'm considering these instead of RAID, is to allow hard drives to spin down, if not in use. I learned about aufs & snapraid here, in another newbie's post: New to OMV, need help with my array.
    - I assume a software RAID would not "sleep", and would keep the harddrives up all the time, regardless whether in use or not. Is that right?
    - what is the purpose of the LVM2 plugin, what does it provide, in addition to mdadm, or is it a replacement for it? Why would I use one over the other?
    - should I forego the idea of using snapraid, are there available other integrity checks to protect from bitrot corruption?

ECC memory:
    - is there anything in OMV implementation which benefits from the presence of ECC RAM

UPS:
    - the underlying Debian NUT version 2.6.2 is missing the apcupsd driver (apcupsd-ups) which was added from 2.7.1 onward. This prevents me to setup OMV Ups section as slave/client to another computer running apcups sw, and having my APC ups directly connected to it. (in fact that is my router, which runs Shibby Tomato, and which also serves as UPS Master to my other computers at home).
    Any way to get around that limitation?
    Note: I've added Debian jessie (testing) repository to sources.lists, but messed up completely omv installation, when I've upgraded NUT from 2.6.2 to 2.7.2. I'll have to reinstall OMV and start again.

Network:
    I have two network ports on my server. One coming with the MB (Realtek 8169, i think), eth0, the other I've added (Intel desktop 1000GT) eth1. Using Eth0, the server kept losing network settings (it runs with DHCP after installation), after some time being up. I could not relate the issue to anything in particular and have not had a chance to check the logs. Swapping the main network interface to the add-on card (eth1), seemed to be more stable. Any suggestions relative to what is going on? I have not checked if OMV is supporting multiple network ports (trunking, failover, etc). Is it?

Thank you for your input,
    hg :)