Beiträge von Pike of the Lake

Fantastic. Thanks for the help.

Okay thanks everyone for the help. I ended up having some time to mess with the system today and I discovered the following with the following command:

root@bananapipro:/var# sudo du -sh /var/lib/docker/overlay2

11G /var/lib/docker/overlay2

When I give an 'ls' command in that folder just a bunch of numbers and letters fill the screen.

So that's the folder that is filling up.

Could anyone tell me what that folder holds, what can I delete and how to keep it from filling up in the future?

Hi Everyone,

This forum and community have always been really helpful, so thanks so much for the help to date.

Here's my current problem: My BananaPi OMV drive keeps filling up. Other posts have said that this has to do with improperly configured docker containers and that may be the case. I'm hoping someone could steer me in the right direction:

root@bananapipro:~# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

udev 445M 0 445M 0% /dev

tmpfs 100M 14M 87M 14% /run

/dev/mmcblk0p1 15G 14G 789M 95% /

tmpfs 499M 0 499M 0% /dev/shm

tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock

tmpfs 499M 0 499M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs 499M 16K 499M 1% /tmp

/dev/zram0 49M 3.0M 42M 7% /var/log

folder2ram 499M 0 499M 0% /var/tmp

folder2ram 499M 408K 499M 1% /var/lib/openmediavault/rrd

folder2ram 499M 620K 498M 1% /var/spool

folder2ram 499M 9.0M 490M 2% /var/lib/rrdcached

folder2ram 499M 2.7M 496M 1% /var/log.hdd

folder2ram 499M 4.0K 499M 1% /var/lib/monit

/dev/sda1 917G 477G 440G 53% /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAS

folder2ram 499M 1.6M 497M 1% /var/cache/samba

overlay 15G 14G 789M 95% /var/lib/docker/overlay2/1dbab0050e3577308 de8dd4e47457020771d45f622519607abbc6fb27d7282fb/merged

overlay 15G 14G 789M 95% /var/lib/docker/overlay2/4cd4989533426e006 8f85f30f20ec871b2ef5029ddfc584a6c2f4b4f26fc3368/merged

shm 64M 0 64M 0% /var/lib/docker/containers/db076d3b1b2b447 473a983d964fac6dcea41749fbeda2443c201fa9464d301b1/mounts/shm

overlay 15G 14G 789M 95% /var/lib/docker/overlay2/80a8eceaeee9e0f33 bfc5a41466a0540918abeb1796013ff4d891ad5a1d071fa/merged

shm 64M 0 64M 0% /var/lib/docker/containers/3d5c92a8ca43524 20bd235a7f631233fc5816a10c43924a2ce3bef5cc2658755/mounts/shm

tmpfs 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user/0

root@bananapipro:~#

Hello!

Does this also work on non-SBC-OMV installations?

(I have setup OMV 4 incl. Docker on regular computer hardware.)

I want to make sure that all docker containers use the vpn of Surfshark, but I want to make sure there are no problems for me connecting to my OMV in my local home network.

I'm not sure if this works on non-SBC-OMV installs. I just upgraded to OMV 5 and this approach still seems to be working with my Banana Pi.

Hi Everyone,

I spent the last week scouring the forums to help setup an OpenVPN client on my OMV 4 installation on my Banana Pi. I emailed the instructions to Surfshark but I thought I would share them on the OMV forum as well.

Here is a guide on how to set up auto-connect for Raspberry Pi and other single board computers that are based on Debian. In this case we are working with an Openmediavault installation on a Banana Pi:

Note that the file used for this example is the Canadian Montreal file: ca-mon.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn. This file is eventually renamed to ca-mon. Be sure that if you use a different file, you rename it within these directions accordingly.

1.Open a terminal window (through Putty or another app) and SSH into your Raspberry Pi machine.

2. Install the necessary packages by entering the command:

sudo apt-get install openvpn unzip

If you are requested to enter your password, please enter your computer's admin password.

3. Navigate to OpenVPN directory by entering:

cd /etc/openvpn

4. Download your VPN provider’s OpenVPN configuration files. In this case we are using the address provided by Surfshark:

sudo wget https://account.surfshark.com/api/v1/server/configurations

5. Extract `configurations.zip`:

sudo unzip configurations

6. Remove the .zip file which will not be used:

sudo rm configurations

7. To see the list of all the available servers enter:

ls

8. Choose one of the servers from the servers list and connect to Surfshark by entering:

sudo openvpn ca-mon.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn

9. OpenVPN will ask you for service credentials. Find your VPN providers credentials for your account (typically through their web site).

10. You have successfully connected to your vpn provider if in the Terminal logs you can see "Initialization Sequence Completed".

Now you can start the autoconnect sequence.

1. Create auth.txt file inside /etc/openvpn directory via this command:

sudo nano /etc/openvpn/auth.txt

Fill it with your SurfShark Service Credentials:

username
    password

Save it.

2. Then open the file which you are using to establish a connection. Note that we have chosen the “ca-mon.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn” file, but you can choose whichever .ovpn file suits you best:

sudo nano /etc/openvpn/ca-mon.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn

And change this line:

auth-user-pass

into

auth-user-pass auth.txt

Save the file and change its name:

sudo mv /etc/openvpn/ca-mon.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn /etc/openvpn/ca-mon.conf

3. Then you will have to edit the startup on boot file via this command:

sudo nano /etc/default/openvpn

When the text editor opens, go to the line with #AUTOSTART=“all” and remove the # so that it looks like this:

AUTOSTART=”all”

Save the file.

4. Reload the daemons

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

5. Run the following command to enable Openvpn service while booting:

sudo systemctl enable openvpn@ca-mon.service

6. Start Openvpn with the following command:

sudo systemctl start openvpn@ca-mon.service

7. Reboot your Linux device:

reboot

8. After the reboot - open the terminal and type in:

sudo traceroute 8.8.8.8

The first hop address should be 10.8.8.1 and in ipleak.net you should see Canada Montreal servers IP address.

There it is! Now OMV should reconnect to the VPN client at every reboot.

I am in the exact same spot and I've spent a few days messing with this!

Trying to run openvpn and transmission. I sat down with the TechnoDadLife video a few nights ago but his directions did not work.

Thanks for your reply, not just me then having problems with it. Will look at the link you posted and will try ...other then that I was thinking at my old unused router and making it as a dedicated hardware VPN.Silly question... Where is this line going in portainer ... --cap-add=NET_ADMIN.
    Thanks

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I tried using an Asus router to work as a hardware VPN but it was a nightmare. You have to put the hardware router on a different subnet so no other devices in the house can access it. No luck with this for me.

At present I'm getting an openvpn client up and running via SSH terminal through directions from the surfshark website: https://support.surfshark.com/…nVPN-using-Linux-Terminal

So with this setup I have the transmission app running through OMV 4 and then the VPN client running through OMV via SSH terminal.

The only problem I'm facing now is trying to get openvpn to autoconnect at reboot. I will make another post and see if anyone can help with this.

Also, I might try the docker idea with delugevpn.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Many thanks David and Aaron. I am very limited around these things but slowly getting better. I will try to do this over the weekend and maybe start a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

It would be much appreciated if both of you would keep an eye out for me on the forum as I will likely be battling roadblocks.

Hi Ryecoaaron,

Would your image work for a Banana Pi? I was talking to David2k about this a few weeks ago and he was considering helping me but I think his Banana Pi (which was yours at one point?) bit the dust!

Many thanks,
    Dale.

I don't think the sandisk uses static wear leveling. Hard to say how long they will last. I created an install for the RPi that boots from the sd card but all of the system files are on a hard drive/ssd. That hard drive is partitioned to use as a data drive too. @davidh2k could tell you more about the setup since he is using it.

This sounds intriguing. I will PM David right away.

Many thanks.

So with my first install of OMV on my Banana Pi, the cheap SD card I had in there lasted about 3 weeks. The OMV guide suggests using an SD card with static wear levelling. Under the guidance of this post: http://reprage.com/post/what-a…to-use-in-a-raspberry-pi/ I have purchsed a 16GB SanDisk Extreme card that should have wear levelling.

Does anyone have an idea of how long this card will last? 6 months, or maybe a year? If I need to keep replacing SD cards for $20 a pop every few months, this budget system isn't so budget anymore...

Many thanks.

Hi,

So I'm getting a mass of update errors and I wondered what people make of them? I'm running the 1.0 version on my Banana Pi.

Just to echo this, I'm getting a ton of errors updating too. I've tried via SSH with "apt-get update", "apt-get upgrade", "apt-get dist-upgrade" with massive errors. I have also tried updating via gui with little luck.

I wiped my whole system and tried updating from scratch and continue to get errors.

Would you like me to post logs tonight?