Posts by metalpalo

Hi all

I have installed OMV 1.17 on my banana pi, kernel version is :
    Linux bananas 3.4.90 #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 5 14:11:40 CST 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

from terminal I executed apt-get dist-upgrade and after some time I got following message:
    Please upgrade your kernel before or while upgrading udev.

AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can force the installation of this version of udev
    WHICH DOES NOT WORK WITH YOUR RUNNING KERNEL AND WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM
    AT THE NEXT REBOOT by creating the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file.
    There is always a safer way to upgrade, do not try this unless you
    understand what you are doing!

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/udev_215-15_armhf.deb (--unpack):
    subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
    update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
    update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/udev_215-15_armhf.deb
    Creating index of upgradeable packages ...
    Creating index of OpenMediaVault plugins ...
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

From now I am not able to connect/work with OMV via browser and got still error dialog like:
    Error #7001:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc:135
    Stack trace:
    #0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc(69): OMVRpc::exec('UserMgmt', 'authUser', Array, Array, 2, true)
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcproxy.inc(125): OMVRpc::exec('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)
    #5 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(32): OMVJsonRpcProxy->handle()
    #6 {main}

Can somebody tell where is problem? Is problem in kernel version? How to update is easy way. Im newbie in linux.

thanks

Hi all,

I have just one question: Does some way exists how to write commands from web interface in OMV. Mostly I'm using putty via port 22 but now I'm able to use only port 443(because of proxy), so some plugin would be great. I finding something like Shell menu in Freenas web interface.

Can somebody help me?

thanks

thank you ZJohnAsZ

If I good understand, the linux permissions are still controlled for users which successfully go through "Privileges" funnel. That means that "Privileges" don't override permissions, just help to speed filtering. Am I right?

But in this case it doesn't matter either I tick "Read/write" and keep alls unchecked. From my point of view, checked "Read/Write" doesn't filter anything.

Hi all,

I'm newbie with OMV and have question regarding the Privileges option on already created Share folder. I've installed OVM (it seems version 0.1) for my banana pi:
    http://www.lemaker.org/resources/9-137/bananas.html

Here si my scenario:
    1.Create share folder "Images" with permissions: Administrator (read/write), User (read only), Other (no access)
    2.Create share folder "Programs" with permissions: Administrator (read/write), User (read/write), Other (no access)
    3.Create new user metalpalo, user is automatically added to default group.
    4.Enable samba service and add mentioned share folders .
    5.From windows pc (logged as metalpalo) I can create folders in "Programs", in "Images" I don't - this I understand - standard linux permission logic
    6.On share "Images" click on "Privileges" button and tick Read/Write for my user "metalpalo"
    7.Click on Aplly button, my user is added into write list in smb.conf
    8.Try to create new folder under "Images" from windows, but NO permission to create directory - IS this correct?

Now I have question: What is order of evaluation for linux permission, privileges and ACL. What has a high priority? By other words: Does samba service use my change via "Privileges" button.

I've checked some links for privileges and ACL but I have still problem to understand this whole logic.

If it should work, do you think that problems could be in version of OMV. Is here possible to execute update?

Can somebody you explain me?

thanks