Posts by kavejo

I've just voted for the OpenVPN client plugin.

Happy to spare some time and do my part if somebody is willing to either cooperate or to give me some directions.
    The plugin Id' be looking for is a webpage where to upload the .ovpn file, dump in the username and password and hit "connect" or "disconnect".

Thanks,
    Tommy

Hello everyone.

I saw that OpenVPN-AS and OpenVPN plugin have been released.
    I'm wondering, is there any plan to develop a OpenVPN client plugin?

With many services being offering cheap VPN services (NordVPN, Astryll, PrivateInternetAccess, VyprVPN, IPredator, etc) and all of these offering OVPN capabilities, I'm wondering, wouldn't having a plugin to handle the connections be handy?
    Something like a webpage where you set username, password and upload or select an .ovpn file and then hit "conenct" / "disconnect". No need for openvpn-client to run as a service, I think that a manual process would suffice.
    Some providers, such as NordVPN offers a dedicated IP in some locations, so OVM WebUI would still be accessible even while connected to OpenVPN (through the new WAN IP).

What do you think?

Regards,
    Tommy

Hi Tekkb,

I'd be interested in achieving the same.

For instance, SIckBeard, CouchPotato, Headphones need to have location chosen for config backup on a volume; in this case the OS drive is not displayed in the drop-down menu.
    The only available drives are the data drives and it's not possible to chose the directory location either.

Would ti be possible to either allow the data drive to be chosen or make the backup location to be optional?
    I tried to create a partition on the OS drive and called it OMV_Data but given the plugins only allow to choose a volume, hence the OS_Data partition is not displayed.

What I hope to achieve is to have everything OMV related on the OS drive (no matter which partition in that drive).
    In this way if I clone the OS drive I can have a full backup, even if I wipe (or substitute) the data drives.

Thank you,
    Tommy

Mine didn't have any either.

I have added this graphic card as I wanted to have the option to connect the MicroServer to a TV via HDMI (with audio pass-through) in the remote case I need to use it a Media Center or if I ever want to run another OS with a GUI.

To be fair, there are other 2 thing I will be looking to achieve.

The first one is to present the physical video card to a Virtual Machine guest so to be able to redirect the VM video on the host GPU. This possibility, for instance, would be very helpful so to keep the resource utilization at minim most of the times and spawn up a VM with a GUI (i.e. Windows or Debian Desktop or CentOS Desktop) if I need to play any music/video on the TV - via HDMI.

Basically what I would like to implement is something similar to QNAP QvPC: http://www.qnap.com/event/qvpc/uk/.
    The only difference would/should be that the VM does not require USB mouse or keybard as I would manage it through PhpVirtualBox.

Another thing I will be looking at, is to take advantage of the GPU and the Video memory for video transcoding when the graphic card is not bound to a VM. Not sure if Plex only relies on the CPU/RAM or if it's possible to delegate the workload to the Graphic Card but I think it'd be pretty cool.

Either way, the first step is to be able to boot successfully without getting stuck on the error.

I was thinking about why i'm facing this and was wondering 2 things. Please forgive me if I'll be saying something stupid as I'm not a Linux expert.
    1. Could the cause be that my OMV is lacking of X Org (given it only presents the shell)?
    2. Could the cause really be the lack of ATI microkernel (is the GPU enumerated used before X starts)?

Any help or suggestion is more than welcome.

Thanks,
    Tommy

Hello Everyone :-)

I'd need some help suggestions on how to fix an issue I'm facing on my HP MicroServer.

The servers is set up as follows:
    - HP MicroServer GT1610
    - 16 GB of Kingston RAM
    - 1 x 128 GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD
    - 2 x 3 TB WD Red HDD
    - 2 x 32 GB Samsung Pro MicroSD (one in the internal SD Bay and one in the internal USB port via mini Card Reader)
    - 1 x Club 3d ATI Radeon HD5440 Noiseless Edition (which the only bit causing me pain)

Now, I know it's not best practice to use flash drives for the OS, this is why I cloned the drive after the initial set up and I do a rsync when I do some config changes.
    In this way, even in the remote case the card gets damaged, I can boot off the "healthy" clone and then via Clonezilla create a new clone on a new SD.
    I have been using the same type of SD for over 2 years on the Raspberry Pi and never got any issue at all, actually it's still running fine.

Actually, is there any folder I can avoid to rsync to reduce the data written to the backup OS drive?
    I do not sync it more than twice a month but, if there is a chance to reduce the writes, I'd rather prefer to do so.

The very strange issue I'm facing is that whenever I insert the video card, it does not boot.
    Grub starts, it start copying the data to ram but then it throws the error "*ERROR* Radeon ring 0: test failed (scratch(0x8500)=0xCAFEDEAD)" and not move any further. I have tried to connect via WebUI (in case just the screen wasn't getting refreshed as for the bugs mentioned in Debian forums) as well as via SSH but seems the MicroServer is stuck there.

I have tried to reboot multiple times but it does keep getting stuck at the same point throwing the same error.

Once I remove the Video Card everything works well, no error (except "unable to insert softdog") but I'm not too worried about this as the system look to work pretty well.

I did the setup with the Graphic Card installed, so to be on the safe side. The installation completed successfully but on reboot it got stuck there.

Now, I'm not entirely sure but I do think this is independent form the HP MicroServer but rather caused by the HD 5450.
    Has anyone faced this issue? Anyone resolved it?

My plan is to try to install the proprietary ATI drivers as suggested on https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary and https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo, not sure which one I need out of these 2 - actually if somebody could point me to the right one, this would be highly appreciated.
    Then, once the drivers will be installed I will re-try to insert the Graphic Card and check if it throws the error again.

If you have any suggestion, any solution or any idea on how to overcome this, I'd be very much grateful.

Thanks,
    Tommy

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to install openmediavault-transmissionbt on OMV 1.0.29 on a Raspberry Pi.

The installation fails due to dependencies not being installed; it appears transmission-deamon and transmission-cli are not going to be installed.
    If I add these 2 packages to then another dependency is missing (transmission-common), well, the necessary version is missing.

If I add these 2 packages to then another dependency is missing (transmission-common), well, the necessary version is missing.

If I then look for the package version on the Wheezy repository I can see it's an older version.

Code
    root@pi:~# apt-cache madison transmission-common
    transmission-common | 2.52-3+nmu2 | http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main armhf Packages

Now, I can see the available version is 2.52-3 while the required one is 2.82-1.1.
    I have then tried to add Jessie repository which I know having more up-to-date packages; at least this is the repo I had been using to get transmission up and running on RaspBMC.

After this change I can find a more recent version of the package (2.84-0.1) but apparently this is way too recent for the plugin.

Unfortunately no-one of the 2 repositories offer the version 2.82.1.1

Code
    root@pi:~# apt-cache madison transmission-common
    transmission-common | 2.84-0.1 | http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main armhf Packages
    transmission-common | 2.52-3+nmu2 | http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main armhf Packages

Can somebody offer any advice or help please?

Thank you.