I updated permissions, reset users, rebooted, removed reinstalled plugins, and never was able to get past the "No access" issue.
So I reinstalled and now all is working. One thing I did differently this time, is that I made the samba shares first, with guests allowed option. Only after that did I create my users and then closed shares to public. Still have access.
I wish I knew what the specific issue is, but may be that I made users first, then samba shares non public, and this time, I did samba shares with guests allowed, then created my users, then closed guests allowed.
Thanks for your help, macom.