Posts by NicCo

Thank you, I'll look at it.

Yes I will use a personal folder to store persistent data from Docker.

Is there a script example or a little tool to manage backups (stop container or stop DB or enable maintenance for NC) ?

Until now I didn't use Docker so I don't know backup methods available, I'm very new to Docker :)

To backup my medias I just do a sync between my storage to external disks, to backup my VM I use Veeam but to backup Docker I don't know.

I want to backup all data from all containers (when my OMV build will be installed) so DB, files, etc... I'll have at least a Nextcloud, a Plex or Emby, a Bitwarden and perhaps others containers in the future.

I plan to keep the persistant data to a dedicated drive or at least a dedicated folder (I don't know if it will be a HDD or SSD). Plex or Emby media files will not be included in persistent data, it will be separated.

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm a new user and I would like to switch to OMV 5 + Docker.

I also would like to use a reverse proxy (nginx or traefik) + Let's Encrypt in order to add a SSL layer for OMV + Docker.

I have some questions :

- Is it possible to use a reverse proxy ? I think yes, but is it possible to add OMV behind this reverse proxy in order to use SSL or is it better to access directly to OMV ?

- Is it possible to use SSL with OMV and Docker simultaneously, and what is it the best way to get certificates ?

- Overall, what is the best way to access OMV + Docker container with SSL certificates from Lets Encrypt ?

Thank you !

This is a suggestion/guideline, not a firm requirement.

My array consists of nine data disks and two parity disks. When one of my parity disks failed recently, SnapRAID continued on with one parity disk just fine while I waited for a replacement parity disk.

It never threw an error or even a warning.

Thank you, and have you ever lost a data disk and recovered it with SnapRAID ? Not me, I don't have experience about it.

Hi, I'm in the same configuration. I would like to migrate from Windows + SnapRAID to OMV + (RAID5 or SnapRAID again).

RAID5 :

+ : Can be used with 16 disks while "losing" only 1 disk

+- : Live

- : Cannot see each disk as a standalone disk (if you lose 2 disks all data are lost)

SnapRAID :

+ : Can see each disk as a standalone disk (if you lost 2 disks, you can keep others disks readable) - But doesn't replace backup !

+ : Can detect every added / deleted / modified files

+- : Sync on demand

- : Can use only 4 data disks with a parity disk

I think I'll go to OMV + SnapRAID + (perhaps) UnionFS. Disks will be formated as ext4 (I'm hesitating with Btrfs but I don't see any advantage to go to ext4 or Btrfs but ext4 seems to be more "mature").

@SnapRAID users : Could you tell me why your choice is SnapRAID over RAID5 ? Thank you !

Hi,
    I've installed an ESXi 5.5 and I've created an OMV 1.9 VM on this ESXi. All is OK, OMV seems to work well but now I would like to add 1 or 2 3TB HDD to OMV.
    It seems I can't add raw HDD so I've tried to use this guide http://www.cyborgworkshop.org/…sata-access-in-esxi-free/ without success (I have an error message because of the disk size).
    So is it possible to add HDD as virtual drive ? Or it's not recommended ? Could I use S.M.A.R.T. if I use virtual disks ?
    Thanks !

So there is no option with the new plugin ? I have not installed OMV at the moment, I'm searching some informations in order to prepare my setup.

Ok thanks for Ubuntu ;)

So is it possible to manage file transfer from external HDD to OMV HDD directly with OMV (with USB 3.0 ?) ? Or is it necessary to transfer files with another system ?

Thanks for your help :)

I have a new idea but I don't know if it's possible : with the configuration describes (I can replace Sempron 3850 by Athlon 5350 if necessary and replace 4GB RAM by 8GB), is it possible to install an ESXi to a part of a dedicated HDD, use other part of this HDD as datastore (to store VM HDD) and create a VM for OMV and a VM for Windows 8.1 ?

Any advice would be welcome ;)

Thanks !

Edit : And is it possible to use USB 3.0 with OMV ? Could I transfer from external USB 3.0 HDD to HDD managed by OMV ?

Edit 2 : If I don't use ESXi, is it possible to install OMV on Ubuntu and use Ubuntu system with OMV like a classic PC ? Or system must be dedicated to OMV ?

No problem, I'll try to find a small HDD 2.5 to OS. Is it better to use a SSD instead of HDD or there is no improvement and it's useless ?

And is it possible to use a USB HDD for OS ? Or it's not a good idea ?

Thanks !

Another question : if I use OMV as a VM (with ESXi 5.5), is it possible to VMDK for system and VMDK for data on the same drive ? Or is it necessary to use a VMDK system on a dedicated drive also ?
    And is it possible to schedule config backup ?
    Thanks !

Ok thanks for informations.
    No I don't want to transcode or use VM, just use it as share center.

What is the minimal size for HDD/SSD to install OMV ? Is it possible to use a part of a HDD for OMV and other part for other ? Or is it possible to install OMV on a part of a HDD and backup this on others HDD ?

You have talked about VM : have you tried to install an ESXi and OMV as a VM ? Is there a huge difference with performance between both ?

Thanks !

Hi,
    I would like to build a "NAS" (with drive pooling instead of RAID, perhaps I'll change it on the future) and I've seen this configuration :
    - ASRock AM1B-ITX
    - AMD Sempron 3850
    - Kingston HyperX Fury BLACK Series 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Cas 10
    - CoolerMaster Elite 110
    - CoolerMaster G450M 80+
    - 3 Western Digital RED 3TB

I have several questions :
    - Is motherboard and CPU sufficients for OMV ?
    - Is it necessary to use 4GB or 2GB is OK ?
    - Is it better to use 1 or 2 DDR modules ?
    - What is the better device to install OMV ? A USB stick ? A SDCard ? A dedicated HDD/SSD ?

Thanks !