Posts by cogitech

I am happy to report that I took the advice early on in the thread to get OMV4 while it is still available.

My expectations for OMV have been lowered through this experience and that is a good thing. To me, I will simply think of OMV as a good general purpose Linux server implementation with a decent webGUI and some good essentials built in. I'll install, configure and manage the "extras" myself.

Last step is to decommission the trusty Stone Burner installation and re-purpose the drives.

You can use the command line but can't run the following?

docker run --name sabnzbd -v <datadir path>:/datadir -v <media path>:/media -p 8080:8080 --restart=unless-stopped sabnzbd/sabnzbd

It will run for years and years and survive OS upgrades MUCH better.

Far less resources... If a few megs of disk bothers, you shouldn't upgrade versions of WIndows either.

Sure I can run that command, however I don't have a clue what it is doing or what any of the command-line options/paths are referring to - so when it breaks I won't have a clue how to fix it. Where does it live in my file system? Where does it log to? Also, that command does not result in a fully-functioning and configured sabnzbd service. Still way easier (for me) to just install sabnzbd, edit the config file and restart the service.

I don't use Windows.

That is dangerous since the underlying Debian install isn't being patched for security updates. Many of the Windows viruses that search for samba shares could encrypt all of your files if you had smb1 shares available.

There are zero Windows machines on my network, and the files that I store on my OMV NAS are either a) non-critical data (movies, music, etc.) or b) backed up offline.

Did you understand OMV 2.x (or whatever the first OMV version you used) 100% the first time you used it? And if everything should stay dead simple, do you have a solution how to maintain all the plugins?

Yes. When I chose to build an OMV box, I had already been running home Linux servers for about 10 years - the old way - from the command-line. OMV was just a very convenient webGUI to get some things done quicker than usual and provided good information and feedback (resource utilization, service statuses, etc. in a visual way. If things need to be complicated to be maintained, I'll do it the way I understand - command-line.

I don't use zfs but I would never call it over-rated. I would be very curious why you need a raid 1 array.

I use RAID 1 to provide protection against hard disk failure, as anyone else does. This is simply to avoid the inconvenience of losing terabytes of non-critical (movies, TV shows, music, etc.) data due to a single HD failure. Very little, if any, critical or personal data/info is stored on the NAS - and that which is, is backed up elsewhere.

So in the end, Docker appears to be an incredibly complicated and wasteful way to avoid having to install and configure services from the command-line. If that's true, then I certainly don't need or want it.

Docker means a learning curve but when done, it bring A LOT of possibilities.

So far, Docker appears to be a complete waste of resources. I have blown away OMV5 and installed OMV4. So now I can at least have an integrated DockerGUI, and I was able to figure out how to get the image for sabnzbd. 247MB ! A source tarball for sabnzbd is like 5MB. Not to mention I have no idea how to get the Docker image to work.

I honestly believe that it would be MUCH easier and faster for me to simply install and configure sabnzbd from the command-line and run it as a service like any other. I can deal with the fact that it won't show up in OMV webGUI. Once it is configured it just works for years and years anyway. Best part is, I understand the way that works so if it breaks I can fix it - and it'll use far less resources.

But I also see the maintaining problem of the plugins. Therefore sooner or later it will be necessary to do the changeover. If I were to build a new NAS now, I would always use the current version of OMV and would not put any work into outdated software.

Indeed I maybe would give FreeNAS a second chance, because the ZFS integration is way better than in OMV. Unfortunately.

My (very) outdated Stone Burner (2.2.14) continues to work flawlessly, day after day, and remains dead simple to use. Uptimes are measured in months or sometimes years and only reset due to power outages. If "progress" means I need to spend 10x as much time to build a system that I no longer understand - and the end result is the exact same features that I have right now, well then I'd rather stay in the "Stone" age.

I looked into FreeNAS and I am shocked at the RAM requirements. Insanity. I have also heard (from people I trust) that ZFS is over-rated. A simple md RAID1 array is all I need.

The new Docker UIs are much more powerful than the old OMV plugin.

I spent all day and can't figure out how to even use docker. I watched some videos from TechnoDadLife but they were for version 4.x. At least in 4.x you can still install Transmission (for example) directly in the OMV webGUI with a few clicks.

In 5.x I get nothing except a portainer webGUI that I have no idea how to use. No docker listed in services, nothing. And no docs.

I see. So version 5 is easy for contributors and maintainers, but far more difficult for users. This seems backwards to me, but I do understand you have limited time and perhaps there is not enough help.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but can you answer my other question? I would like opinions on which version of OMV I should run if I like the way 2.2.14 works (simple!) but would like something a bit more modern.

If the answer is 2.2.14 then I will simply create an image and migrate this very old version to new hardware.

Hello all,

I am a long time user of OMV 2.2.14 (Stone burner). I've never had any reason to upgrade before, but I am building a new NAS and decided to try the latest.

Well, so many of the plugins I use are not even available in version 5, even after I installed OMV-Extras. When I search, all I find is all this complicated stuff about docker/portainer, etc.

Why would the developers move away from such a simple plugin management to something so complicated?

I would like opinions on which version of OMV I should run if I like the way 2.2.14 works (simple!) but would like something a bit more modern. I really don't like the way version 5 works.

Thanks!

Hi G,

Man, you just can't catch a break, can you?

I am sorry to say that I can't really help you with this. My gut says it is a hardware issue, but that's about as specific as I can be. I certainly don't think it is a snapraid problem.

If you go into your system BIOS, you might be able to find settings for fan speed control. Things need to get pretty damned hot for a CPU to crap out like that. You're not overclocked, are you?

Lastly, if you don't really want the "Collection" directory to be named "Collection" but "Movies" (or something else), just:

Code
    mv Collection/ Whatever_You_Want/

As long as the "Whatever_You_Want" directory doesn't exist, mv will rename "Collection" to "Whatever_You_Want".

Now go create your shares and get snapraid setup! :)

...but your "TV Shows" directory is still on its own, as a sub-directory of Movie collection.

I suspect you want "TV Shows" to be in it's own top-level directory, like "Collection".

To do that, just do:

Code
    cd Collection/
    mv TV\ Shows/ ../

To see it in action, and the results:

root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c/Collection# ls -la
    total 20
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Feb 19 15:57 .
    drwxrwxrwx 11 root root 4096 Feb 19 15:48 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 19 15:56 Lord_Of_The_Rings
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:54 Movie2.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:54 Movie3.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:54 Movie4.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:55 Movie7.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:55 Movie8.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:55 Movie9.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:53 Movie.mkv
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 19 15:57 MoviesTwo
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 19 14:44 TV Shows
    (we don't want TV Shows here)
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c/Collection# mv TV\ Shows/ ../
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c/Collection# ls -la
    total 16
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Feb 19 16:10 .
    drwxrwxrwx 12 root root 4096 Feb 19 16:10 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 19 15:56 Lord_Of_The_Rings
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:54 Movie2.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:54 Movie3.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:54 Movie4.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:55 Movie7.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:55 Movie8.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:55 Movie9.mkv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 19 15:53 Movie.mkv
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 19 15:57 MoviesTwo
    (TV Shows is gone)
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c/Collection# cd ..
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c# ls -la
    total 139172
    drwxrwxrwx 12 root root 4096 Feb 19 16:10 .
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Feb 10 18:32 ..
    drwxrwsrwx 6 root users 4096 Feb 7 08:11 backup
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Feb 19 16:10 Collection
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 154846 Feb 6 09:26 CPbackup
    drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Aug 22 2011 lost+found
    drwxrwsrwx 8 minecraft users 4096 Feb 6 07:32 Media
    drwxrwsrwx 6 minecraft users 4096 Feb 6 21:11 Music
    drwxrwsrwx 149 minecraft users 4096 Feb 15 15:24 RAWbackup
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1200 Feb 6 10:08 snapraid.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1184 Feb 6 10:06 snapraid.conf.bak
    -rw------- 1 root root 142283590 Feb 17 13:01 snapraid.content
    -rw------- 1 root root 0 Feb 17 12:52 snapraid.content.lock
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Feb 11 16:23 Software
    drwxrwsrwx 2 root users 4096 Feb 6 09:31 tftp
    drwx------ 5 minecraft minecraft 4096 Oct 14 2011 .Trash-1000
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 19 14:44 TV Shows
    (here it is!)
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c#

I think it would work better to add additional content as I format it (to take advantage of the pooled space) to unload the MoviesTwo directory into its parent as one big happy "collection" (sry wife wants dinner so I iphone now)

OK. There's several ways of doing that and I don't really know which is "best" but I would do it like this:

First, let's get rid of "Collections", since it should be empty anyway.

Code
    rmdir Collections/

OK, now lets move everything from "MoviesTwo" to "Collection". I ran through the whole process to test it out. I hope it makes sense.

So, the key command here is:

Code
    mv * ../

mv --> "move"

* --> "everything"

../ --> "up one directory"

You simply go into the "MoviesTwo" directory and then type that code, and it moves everything into the parent directory and leaves "MoviesTwo" empty.

You can then

Code
    cd ..
    rmdir MoviesTwo

I wonder if MoviesOne is now Collection and MoviesTwo is now a subdirectory among all those individual movie files?

Exactly! You figured it out as I was explaining it.

So now, the question is; do you want to just have all your movies in one big folder ("Collection"), or do you want them split up as "MoviesOne" and MoviesTwo".

The beauty of mhddfs is that you can do whatever you want now. I suspect you had "MoviesOne" and "MoviesTwo" because they were on different drives (still are actually) but mhddfs allows you to ignore that fact and just have a "Movies" folder with everything in it.

My first command when I set down was "mkdir Collections", with an "s" at the end noticeably. My next command was "mv MoviesOne/ Collection", no "s" . So I tried to move MoviesOne to a non-existent directly apparently, but it did not complain. I then unknowingly typed "mv MoviesOne/ Collection/" and it said there was no MoviesOne directory. Nonetheless, when I typed "mv MoviesTwo/ Collection/" it did not complain, and looking at the AllMedia volume with ls, both "Collection" and "Collections" Directories are there, and MoviesTwo is in the "Collection" directory??

GTE

Yes. It all makes perfect sense, actually.

mkdir Collections --> so now a directory called "Collections" exists.

mv MoviesOne/ Collection --> since the directory "Collection" did not exist, the mv command renamed the "MoviesOne" directory to "Collection".

mv MoviesOne/ Collection/ --> this failed because "MoviesOne" has been renamed "Collection".

mv MoviesTwo/ Collection/ --> this succeeded because now the "Collection" directory exists (and contains everything that was originally in "MoviesOne")

So, now you have a "Collection" directory that contains all the stuff you had in "MoviesOne" (since you literally just renamed "MoviesOne" to "Collection") and it also has a sub-folder in it named "MoviesTwo".

First I'll wait for you to confirm that you understand before I try to help you fix it. It is easy, but let's go slow.

Another tip:

If you want to know exactly what the command syntax was that messed up the MoviesOne move, just keep hitting the "up arrow" on your keyboard and the command prompt will cycle back through every single command you have issued. Once you get to that first, erroneous mv command, right it down and post it here so I can see what went wrong. It should have worked even without the trailing / .

Well Cogitech - looks like I went and did it. I decided to move the three media directories (MoviesOne, MoviesTwo and TV Shows) into a directory on the AllMedia volume called "Collection". I navigated to the root no prob, Typed ls, all directories were listed - so I then typed "mv MoviesOne/ Collection" and hit Enter. Noticing now that I left the forward slash off the end of "Collection", but it did not complain. I went ahead and retyped "mv MoviesOne/ Collection/" And it responded "No such directory MoviesOne" , so I figured it must have moved it even with the syntax error. Checked the folder with ls - and it does not show - navigated to the actual drive the directory MoviesOne is on - and hit ls - and it does not show, however, running df -hs it still shows that the HDD with MediaONe on it has 2.5 of 3.6 TB's used, and the AllMedia Volume still shows it has 4.0 TB used - so the directory full of movies is somewhere on that drive still, but where - and how do I get to them?

MoviesTwo moved fine, and even though ls of AllMedia Volume lists the directory "TV Shows" - when I try to use the mv command it says "No directory TV Shows"? Leave out the space?

GTE

As you are learning, syntax is important, but fickle.

I just re-created that scenario on my own drive and even with the missing / after Collection, it moved the Directory without error:

Code
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c# mkdir MoviesOne
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c# mkdir Collection
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c# ls
    backup Collection CPbackup lost+found Media MoviesOne Music RAWbackup snapraid.conf snapraid.conf.bak snapraid.content snapraid.content.lock Software tftp
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c# mv MoviesOne/ Collection
    backup Collection CPbackup lost+found Media Music RAWbackup snapraid.conf snapraid.conf.bak snapraid.content snapraid.content.lock Software tftp
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c# cd Collection/
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c/Collection# ls
    MoviesOne

So I don't know where your MoviesOne folder went. It should be in "Collection". Are you sure you didn't forget to "cd" to Collection before "ls"?

But, it should be easy enough to find the folder:

Code
    apt-get update
    apt-get install mlocate
    updatedb
    locate MoviesOne

The first three steps are just installing mlocate and then running the locate.updatedb it'll take a while. The fourth command let's you locate anything in the file system. You can use that now when you are looking for things.

The reason you are having trouble with "TV Shows" is the space in the name. In order to avoid these issues, I always use _ instead of spaces.

The way around it is to use a \ (not /) in front of the space, so the syntax to move that directory to Collection would look like this:

Code
    mv TV\ Shows/ Collection/

I just tested this as well. Here is the full output:

Code
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c# mkdir TV\ Shows
    backup Collection CPbackup lost+found Media Music RAWbackup snapraid.conf snapraid.conf.bak snapraid.content snapraid.content.lock Software tftp TV Shows
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c# mv TV\ Shows/ Collection/
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c# cd Collection/
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c/Collection# ls
    MoviesOne TV Shows
    root@openmediavault:/media/67081dda-f67f-4081-ad65-4e1702aaa82c/Collection#