Posts by bkeadle

Well, good news, reboot, and my volumes is back, though the LVM was inactive and I had to run 'lvchange'.

This *IS* reproduceable, so clearly my procedure is NOT GOOD. So, what's the proper method I should be using to disconnect an LVM from an iSCSI target?

comparing my current config.xml with a backup, looks like everything is there. I'm nervous to reboot. I'd like to have some explanation as to what happened, and, whether there is some other process I should be doing to cleanly mount/dismount the iSCSI target.

I have storage for my OMV to an iSCSI target. Everything working great. I thought I'd disconnect the iSCSI during the week when I'm not using the storage so the disk array can spin down (saving heat and energy).

I first stopped the samba service so the mount isn't in use:
    service samba stop

I then dismount the storage:
    umount /media/e6e5abfc-d17a-40fc-8641-59efccee676c

I then logout of the iSCSI target
    iscsiadm -m node -u

cool, the disks spin down.

So then I reconnect:

iscsiadm -m node -l

but now my LVM is completely empty! The physical disks are there, but the Logical Volume Management pages are completely empty! lvscan doesn't do anything.

WTH?!?! ?(

My /var/log folder is very large, consumed by debug and daemon.log. I see the nmbd is the culprit, but I don't know where/how this logging is occurring.

I have SMB/CIFS /Advanced settings / Log level set to None. I do have Directory Service enabled, and this in my Extra options:

Code
    security=ads
    realm=village.com
    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    winbind cache time = 3600
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes
    winbind use default domain = yes
    winbind separator = +

which I suspect where all this chatter is coming from, but I don't know how to shut it up!

Wow! Guess I'll just do it manually at the command line (which I ended up doing - needed to resize the filesystem). That sure seems like a long way to go to do any drive maintenance.

Wouldn't it be better for the interface to recognize whether there are actual files in use on the volume to determine whether to allow mount/unmount?

Resurrecting. I too have shares defined, but I've disabled the shares and stopped the service, yet the filesystem still shows as being referenced. Surely I don't have to DELETE the shares just so I can unmount the volume!

On my 3.0.97 I have both lvm and iscsi plugins available. How are you not seeing them? They are both omv built in plugins. Maybe your /etc/apt/ is not correct?

According to this http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1756 iscsi may not be maintained anymore. Probably still works, I don't use it. I do use lvm.

I was looking on extras *BEFORE* I attempted any upgrade (as the upgrade recommendations say to do). If they've been rolled in, how am I to know what's in the core in preparation of an upgrade?

This has been answered several times in the forum.

About lvm I don’t know why it doesn’t show in your server but is still available and maintained.

Sorry - did some preliminary searching but must have overlooked that detail
    because I haven't installed v3 yet - I was doing my upgrade due diligence.

Excellent information. Thank you for your time in replying so fully.

You're right - it's a VM, so I was just going to try. That prompted to post another question about the plugins in 2x that don't appear to exist in 3x.

It's good to hear your honest feedback that there was no compelling reason (for you) to upgrade to v3 in hindsight. That's good to know.

I do suppose I can just install new, v3 and run in parallel and just see what functionality I may miss in v2 that's not in v3. For that matter, should I just skip 3 and go to v4 since i'm starting new anyway? What's you're recommendation?

I'm wanting to upgrade my v2 (Stone Burner) to v3. I understand I need to verify that the plugins I use in v2 need to be available for v3 before proceeding. I'm surprised to see no iSCSI Target plugin or LVM2 plugin. A couple questions:
    1) Is that to say, v3 does not provide iSCSI target services?
    2) does v3 have iSCSI initiator so I can still mount my storage located on an iSCSI target?
    3) does v3 *NOT* have LVM at all? That seems very odd - thinking it might be built in and does not require a plugin?

I see multiple recommendations to install new vs. attempting an upgrade (shame)

Doing a fresh install, is there any way to restore the "configuration" of the previous version? I've spent a lot of time and effort getting my existing OMV 2 (stoneburner) working just so (networking config, iSCSI targets, shares, and who-all knows what else). The thought of having to manually revisit all that is daunting.