Beiträge von sg23

With 4 and prior, I had run ntpd on OMV for years. I ran it on my OMV machine to allow all my other devices to get their time from it since it is the only machine I have running 24x7. It was never a problem and it worked well.

I upgrade from 4 to 5 and see that the upgrade has removed ntpd. I figure the install has removed it to go back to the OMV default. The OMV installs sometimes do things like this. Should I have read the apt output carefully before proceeding? Yes, in fact I said so in my original post. So yes, it is my fault, but my experience with ntpd working on OMV for years had me assuming it would continue to work. The behavior has changed.

All I was asking for was a short statement that contains "ntp" or "ntpd" in the docs, maybe release notes, that would help others avoid this, for example "OMV uses chrony for time synchronization. ntp/ntpd is not supported and should not be installed." Yes, you'd have to maintain that one line in the docs and yes it would need to be removed if the chrony to ntp switch were ever undone. I'd be happy to contribute a pull request on the docs (or however the docs are changed) however since that's been pre-rejected, I'll not spend that time.

Thanks for your thoughtful responses to my request.

Having recently upgraded to 5 and wanting to run ntpd again, I installed the "ntp" package and carelessly let it proceed without noticing that installing ntp would remove openmediavault. I restored from backup as it seemed the easiest way to resolve the situation.

This issue has been encountered by others:

RE: Always read everything - it's essential

https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenM…dentally_uninstalled_omv/

Minimally there should be some warning in the documentation to not install ntp, as it will remove openmediavault.

I searched the github issues and did not find anything related to this. Should I create a github issue for this?

apt-get dry-run output for reference:

This thread is the first hit for a google search "openmediavault login notification" so I thought I would share my experience with this issue.

I believe the intended behavior is to send an email when a login occurs the first time from a particular browser. OMV creates a login cookie after a successful login that I assume is intended to allow it to know for the next login to not send the email.

What I found was that a new login cookie was being created each time I logged in, until the third cookie was created. I got 3 emails. When I logged in the fourth time, no additional login cookie was created and no email was sent.

I don't know if this experience is unique to me, but if you are having this issue, try logging in 4 times and see if the emails stop after 3.

I upgraded to 3.0 about a week ago and perhaps I did something wrong-- I am not sure. I noticed today that the usbback plugin was missing from the GUI so I installed it again. My config was lost but it was not a big deal since it was just 4 shared folders. I just set it up again with those 4 folders.

After plugging in the USB drive and letting the backup finish, I noticed the drive was not being unmounted. The daemon log in /var/log appeared to show two backups running at the same time. This was a bit scary. I unmounted the drive manually and began investigating.

I uninstalled the plugin and then unplugged and plugged my USB drive and I got the beeps for start/end of backup, and the logs showed a backup had run, so I had a "rouge" usbbackup running, if you define rouge as one the GUI is not aware of. The drive was unmounted correctly after it ran.

I found that "systemctrl --all" does not really show all the things that are installed and instead I needed to run "systemctl list-unit-files" which when piped through grep showed that I still had usbbackup installed, maybe the 2.x version?

# systemctl list-unit-files|grep usb
    openmediavault-usbbackup-7080f8c1c79c4b4ac4d05a289cc98795.service enabled

I then disabled it:

# systemctl disable openmediavault-usbbackup-7080f8c1c79c4b4ac4d05a289cc98795.service
    Removed symlink
    /etc/systemd/system/dev-disk-by\x2did-ata\x2dST8000AS0002\x2d1NA17Z_Z8409WB7\x2dpart2.device.wants/openmediavault-usbbackup-7080f8c1c79c4b4ac4d05a289cc98795.service

After that, I made sure the USB Drive was unmounted and unplugged/plugged it. No beeps and nothing in the log.

Now being confident usbbackup was really gone, I went back to the omv GUI and installed it again. I was then able to set up my 4 folders for backup and everything worked normally upon plugging the USB drive into the machine.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone ran into the same problem. Again, I am not sure if I did anything wrong, but I had a simple setup on wheezy with just the usbbackup plugin installed-- no other plugins.

My knowledge is a about a decade or two old and I wasn't even aware that postifx is another MTA, i.e. sendmail alternative... so to answer the question: yes, postfix will probably do just fine. I have a feeling it is not set up correctly because the first thing I did was try to send myself a mail using "echo test | mail -s test root" and that command did nothing- it completed successfully (apparently) yet I cannot find any mail using "mail" or by looking in /var/mail.

Thanks for the help.

I have omv 2.1.9 on debian 7.9.
    I never got around to setting up sendmail and decided today I'd go ahead and do that.

I found the package was not installed so I ran "apt-get install sendmail" and apt-get told me it wanted to remove openmediavault and asked me if that was ok. I said no, obviously. I proceeded to try to figure out why it wants to do that, figuring it was conflicting dependencies, however that appears to not be the case.

The output from apt-get and apt-cache is included below. Ideas, suggestions or even small clues would be appreciated.

re: http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1133

I just updated to from 1.12 to 1.13 and still had this problem.
    I was about to write up a new bug report when I remembered one of the workarounds was to remove the file (/var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json).
    I did that and then did some stuff in the web UI and no longer had the problem. The file does get recreated (now it contains []) but it no longer causes a problem in the web UI.

Hopefully this will help someone else out and potentially prevent a bug report from being created that's not needed.