Beiträge von prez02

I know with the omv-extras it is not really an issue any longer, but WD Pi Drive, a slim 2.5hdd with native usb and low power consumption might be an alternative to using a usb stick or SD card as a boot device on newer Proliants.

Well, it is just one example for a homebuild NAS software, others like nas4free, Nexenta Community Edition, Rockstor etc are also not mentioned, and some of these do have ZFS.

It is also mentioned that ZFS needs a lot of (ECC) memory, which means server hardware. Running ZFS on normal PC hardware with little ram, eg when converting an old pc into a file server, might actually have the opposite effect of increased data protection, at least that is what people will tell you in the freenas forum.

so i have been trying and failing to get this setup, it seems that the 5th odd port is only active in ahci mode, and not raid mode ?
    i cannot get the odd port connected disk to boot in raid mode, i can get it to boot in achi mode.

Well, that seems unlikely, I meant the port ist meant to be used with an odd- to make installation etc easier, and that is independent on Raid or AHCI. Wish I could help more, but I use mine in AHCI with software raid and omv on a hdd in one of drive bays...

Booting from ODD is no problem If you can deal with the USB-boot solution: http://www.hardwareluxx.de/com…3207-81.html#post22905333

Or look here, in English: http://jarrodla.blogspot.de/

In short, you install grub to a usb drive or sd card. While booting, they are checked first and point to the omv connected to the odd-sata, or any other drive.

It is not that difficult to install, even with little linux knowledge. I struggled a bit, but in the end it worked.

Mmmh, do I have upgrade my firmware for my Proilant G1610?

It says 2.03 in iLO, and there is an update for 2.04, but I am not sure whehter it is firmware, or just for iL?

Also, I did not find a bin to dowload, just driver which contain a bin called danelecto, but I am not sure that is actually the firmware.

Was für ein boot Bug?!

That it does not boot from a ssd/hdd connected to the odd sata when other hdds are installed. Spy Aledo found out it is not an intentional limitation, so in a way bug, but then it is not intended to be used this way either, that''s why I put "bug" in quotion marks.

Mmmh, I bough a odd frame that houses a 2.5 hdd and has the form and outside connectors of an odd drive, as suggested a few pages earlier in this thread.

Now I have seen an article about the gen8 Microsoverver and realized, apparently, that is has a normal SATA socket (no surprise) and something that looks like a floppy power plug?

I do also have an adapter to connect an ODD drive to "normal" sata, but with that I would still need another to "convert" the floppy power to a normal SATA power plug? Actually it might be easier to just leave out the odd frame, it wouldn't do anything apart from physically holding the 2.5 hdd in place.

Still, I do have to get another adapter? Or is at least something like a floppy to ODD-power adapter included with the server?

Spy Alelo
    BTW, the article is in the newest edition of c't, and it mentions the "boot-bug", maybe that is an additional motivation to your BIOS people to fix it?

Thanks for the quick replies, HP unfortunately delayed the delivery of the microserver for another week *sigh*

Ah, well, more time to prepare, then... :)

Currently I use a Buffalo NAS, which is pretty slow. I also use an old Intel Atom Zotac ZBOX with omv on a SD (yeah, I know) and a 2.5 drive as data storage for occasional additional backups, which runs like a charm and is pretty quick, too. Therefore, instead of buying a new NAS, I decided to do it properly and buy a proliant Microserver G1610T, ;)

The plan is to install omv to an unused 2.5 drive and two 3.5 drives for date storage, preferably as asoftware raid. I am not sure whether to just put it in bay 1 and let it boot from there or take the trouble and connect it via ODD. Right now, I can only see myself adding a third, bigger hdd as an additional, "stand alone" drive, without any raid functionality, if that is possible at all, so I do not need more than than 4 bays

To clarify, I assume the boot problem is not just for SSD?

While I am wating for the delivery of may gen8, Whats the advantage of using a ssd instead of a standard hdd drive as the omv "base"? Is it that much faster?