Posts by HellDiverUK

I'm currently testing a Synology DS916+ which has the J3710 CPU. It can run Plex no problems, including simple transcoding.

Hoping to run the Synology until OMV3 is on RELEASE and then I can use the Synology to run the CCTV.

I don't know where it is even getting information that the plugin exists then. There is no versions of the emby plugin in any of the OMV 3.x repos.

The plugin is not ready to run on OMV newer than version 3.0.13. There was major changes to OMV at that point that required a lot of changes to the plugin. While I think all of those changes have been made, I don't know what else needs to be done to the plugin to get it to work. I don't use or work on that plugin. So, until it is in repo, I guess you just have to wait for it.

Then there's an error somewhere, because as I said this is a brand new install with no legacy nonsense going on. Emby 3.3 plugin is in the "Multimedia" section of the plugin list, and the omv-extras is the only repo I have installed.

I only have Stable omv-extras.org, and mono repo turned on in the omv-extras control panel.

Wasn't meant to be. I meant to say is the repo enabled and the plugin in the list? I don't add/remove every plugin to the repo and don't remember the status of every plugin. That is the easiest way to tell. Your system has an old version of the plugin that isn't compatible with the latest version of the emby plugin. That is why it won't install. The emby plugin seems ready from looking at github but I don't know what the remaining issues are.

Not sure how I have an old version of the plugin? This is a band new install, from fresh, this morning. I spun up a VM less than 3 hours ago, downloaded OMV, downloaded the omv-extras plugin, tried to install emby, failed.

Or do you mean the plugin is too old to install the current version of Emby?

Is it in the repo and showing up on your plugin list?

Smart-ass reply. :p

No, it's not ready, it doesn't work, see below. :D

Code
    Reading package lists...Building dependency tree...>>> *************** Error ***************Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-emby 2>&1': Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you haverequested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstabledistribution that some required packages have not yet been createdor been moved out of Incoming.The following information may help to resolve the situation:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies: openmediavault-emby : Depends: openmediavault (= 3.0.13) but 3.0.32 is to be installedE:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    <<< *************************************

Just setting up some stuff in a VM before I go to hardware, and I get this issue trying to install Emby:

I can't get any further, and the plugin installer gets stuck in a loop at that point until I close the window. It was fun copy&pasting that output, because the text window was scrolling like mad. :(

The processor is a Celeron quad core. The complete package uses less than 100 W, but I did not measure the correct numbers.

I would certainly hope so! My NAS uses no more than 100W (idles at 30W) and it has 6 HDDs, two SSDs and a 6 core AMD CPU.

Thank You for the feedback guys, In regards to the AMD 5350, I read amd cpu don't play well with linux drivers; is this something I should be concerned with for OMV?

Nonsense. It's the GPU that may have driver issues, but OMV doesn't use the GPU, so it's a non-issue. :)

I'm happy with the performance of my Athlon 5350. I run it on a MSI miniITX board, with an Arctic passive cooler, in a LianLi PC-Q25B, and using a Supermicro SAS2LP HBA in the main slot. The only down-side is the Realtek NIC, and to be fair it's been reliable enough for me. I can transcode one 1080p stream using Plex, and plenty of CPU cycles left for other stuff.

Or forget about Intel and buy an AMD FX chip. The chip I have happily transcodes 3 streams. If you go for a FX8320E, with will be able to run 4 streams no problems (I tested that chip on my Windows box and it can do 4 streams no problems). You can also use ECC RAM on the FX platform if you choose your motherboard carefully - most Asus AM3+ board work and support ECC.

It's very difficult to beat the FX line for price/performance. My CPU and motherboard cost the same as an i5 chip alone.

Power consumption isn't a massive issue either, it idle about 30W and transcoding it's using 120W peak.

Hi folks,

I've been having a few minor issues with my OMV install.

Latest version, backports installed, all plugins updated.

Issue 1:

When setting up the server I had two zfs pools, "pool1" and "pool2". I set up a third pool "blues" and moved all the data off "pool2", and then unplugged the "pool2" drives. Now when I go to the system dashboard I get the following error:

cannot create 'pool2': missing dataset name

Error #0:
    exception 'OMVModuleZFSException' with message 'cannot create 'pool2': missing dataset name' in /usr/share/omvzfs/Dataset.php:353
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/omvzfs/Dataset.php(191): OMVModuleZFSDataset->exec('zfs create -p "...', Array, 1)
    #1 /usr/share/omvzfs/Dataset.php(77): OMVModuleZFSDataset->create()
    #2 /usr/share/omvzfs/OMVStorageZvol.php(342): OMVModuleZFSDataset->__construct('pool2')
    #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(241): OMVFilesystemZFS->isMounted()
    #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->enumerateMountedFilesystems(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('enumerateMounte...', Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('FileSystemMgmt', 'enumerateMounte...', Array, Array, 1)
    #8 {main}

Issue 2:

I tried to install the omv-extras nut package. It failed with an error which I didn't take note of. Now when I try to remove the plugin to reinstall it, I get:

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; apt-get --yes --auto-remove --purge remove openmediavault-nut 2>&1': Reading package lists... Building dependency tree... Reading state information... The following packages will be REMOVED: openmediavault-nut* 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded. 1 not fully installed or removed. After this operation, 353 kB disk space will be freed. dpkg: error processing openmediavault-nut (--purge): Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should reinstall it before attempting a removal. Errors were encountered while processing: openmediavault-nut Creating index of upgradeable packages ... Creating index of openmediavault plugins ... E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Error #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; apt-get --yes --auto-remove --purge remove openmediavault-nut 2>&1': Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

The following packages will be REMOVED:
    openmediavault-nut*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 353 kB disk space will be freed.
    dpkg: error processing openmediavault-nut (--purge):
    Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
    reinstall it before attempting a removal.
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    openmediavault-nut
    Creating index of upgradeable packages ...
    Creating index of openmediavault plugins ...
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/pluginmgmt.inc:170
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServicePluginMgmt->remove(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('remove', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Plugin', 'remove', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

Plex's performance is vastly improved by a SSD. Browsing the library on my HTPC is markedly faster when the library is on SSD, so much so that the wife asked "how is this suddenly so much faster?" when I moved the Plex library from a 320GB WD Black to the 120GB Intel SSD.

Plus, you also have the added reliability of the SSD compared to HDD, better power consumption, and less noise.

Thankfully, cost is not a massive issue as far as I'm concerned, performance is pretty much everything.

I made a bit of a boo-boo when setting up OMV, and used the wrong drives in my main array (long story). I now want to move all the data off those drives on to a different array.

What's the easiest way of doing this? Can I set up a new share, copy everything over, blow away the old array, make a new one and move everything back? I want to ultimately get the data off the drives, change drives, and move everything back and end up with the same share names.