Posts by edwardwong

Thanks for the info. I had the little sister (Asrock N3150-ITX) for my Xpenology (Synology DSM on PC-hardware) and worked great. This was a good combination but too weak for transcoding with PlexMediaServer.
    Therefore my question: Do you use PlexMediaServer and is this cpu strong enough for transcoding (not streaming to any client)?
    Thanks in advance

I would say this is more on the OS issue, I own HP N54L, the CPU should be capable to transcode 720p video, but it's lagging when I use Xpenology. After moving to OMV/FreeNAS, the issue was gone. My understanding that your CPU should be able to transcode 1 x 1080p video under Plex.

why not try webmin instead of Agenty?
    I had always run into problems installing agenty, every time I tried
    webmin never failed me.

Ajenti has better interface :P
    And well, I can add "hddtemp" "lm-sensors" to dashboard in Ajenti but nothing for Webmin, Webmin is not good at "monitoring"
    Yes I agree that on ARM platform Ajenti is difficult to install, but I managed to figure out what was wrong and eventually success on this.

The Linksys WRT1900AC v2 is one of the router in WRT1x00AC series router which claimed to have full open source support, the Marvell WiFi driver module source code (mwlwifi on GitHub) has been released and so you may already see the OpenWRT/DD-WRT firmware for this router already.

I saw that someone has created a working Debian Jessie (8.5) on this router as well (McDebian), what the author did was to create a rootfs on USB memory, and the internal flash only store the minimal boot image to extend the life of flash. Considering the hardware, dual core Marvell Armada 385 1.6GHz + 512MB DDR3 which is exactly the same as the existing Synology DS-216 selling on market, I believe the performance for this router being as a NAS should be pretty well, and this router equips with eSATA port as well, so I decided to have a try on OMV.

OMV 2.x was failed to install on Jessie, because of the watchdog issue, it asks for kernel 4.2.4 driver which I do not have (not really wanted to compile again), and then I started to check on OMV 3.0, seeing that the core is getting mature so I decided to have a try. I ran "omv-release-upgrade" from command line, and, it works perfectly!

It recognizes all 3 HDDs in my enclosure!

I say "Still in progress" in title because, OMV 3.0 is not yet released, but I can see that some core feature is already working. Second thing is, I found that the eSATA with port multiplier is not working properly. As I did try to use the same enclosure with stock Linksys firmware without issue, I believe this should be related to the base OS rather than hardware itself, so now I can't test on it under Debian (the SATA link breaks all the time), I filed a bug report to McDebian author to seek for solution. I remember last time testing with stock firmware I can get 110MB/s write and 95MB/s read with Crystal HDD benchmark which is quite impressive, I think OMV under McDebian should behave similarly when SATA link problem solved!

Side track: I've also installed another software from Github named Ajenti, a pretty good tool, especially the dashboard for monitoring :)

Searched for the comparison between N3700 & Athlon 5350, I would say I prefer N3700.
    The reason is, for most of the applications using on NAS, N3700 is running only a little bit slower than 5350 while the TDP of N3700 is much lower, 6W vs 25W. To do 1 x 1080p realtime transcoding I believe both of them will work the same.

I would not prefer the older J1900, as it doesn't come with encryption acceleration, while N3700/5350 come with hardware acceleration, which provides extra benefits like VPN, or disk encryption speed up.

And I would say that, OP you don't need to worry about saturating the network interface of OMV, 1000M/6 = 166.67Mbps, it would be an unrealistic bitrate for a normal IP camera to produce, even for transcoding over network it would be hard to reach 100Mbps bitrate per client unless you are doing with ultra high quality 4K/8K video source.

I never thought linux would behave in this manner with network interfaces. I don't know if my unmanged switch support bounding the two nic, but if there is a way I could give it a try.

Nope, LACP is a behaviour that requires configuration, thus it would be impossible for an unmanaged switch to have LACP capability (how can you tell which port to be trunked without management?)

I agree, memory would be very expensive I believe. And one more problem I just thought of, about heat dissipation, as most of Xeon E5 processors are pretty high TDP, not really good if everything have to be squeezed into a small box.

How can you add 2 PCI-e cards while there is only one slot?
    BTW it's better to use ECC ram as some people tested system unstability while using non-ECC ram.

Normal drives consumes less than 15W even in working condition, so you can save another 135W and get a 400W PSU