Beiträge von edwardwong

Thanks for your info, I haven't actually start using the Marvell 9172 ports yet (Internal + 9230 already 10 ports, my case can only take 7 drives at most.)
    9230's issue should be fixed, I don't see problem apparently (may be I should try to put some stress on it?)
    But anyway I'll keep an eye on it.

@ellnic it is enough I think. It could be better if I did put a power supply with a fan in it. Under load the CPU is max 50 degrees. And when idle it is around 30. The box is in a room that is 22 degrees.

Build quality is pretty solid. But the drawback is maby that you have to take the motherboard tray or the power supply out to get to the top fan filter if you want to clean it. It is really compact case but it is nice to have tool less design when you have to Chang the HDDs.

50 degree CPU temp isn't bad. I usually look at spec to see how hot it can tolerate.
    For example my CPU allows Tjunction 105 degree, so I would actually allow it to go up to 60-70 degree when idle, and try to minimize the assistance from fans, you know spinning parts fail much easier than you think, I don't want the system to break down immediately just because of one broken fan.

C226 chipset itself doesn't impose to have this limit, I guess Asrock didn't test. If you look at memory on market, a single stick 16GB DDR3 ECC is so freaking expensive, other than professional use I've never seen any amateur using anything beyond 8GB/stick.

I Am using:

• Case: Lian-Li PC-Q25
      With a 140 mm Fan in the front and a 120 mm Fan in the top
    • Motherboard: Asrock rack c2750d4i
    • Ram: 32 gb ECC
    • 2x SSD and 4x HDD that don't spin down
    • Using a noname 300 watt fanless powersupply.

When idle it uses just about 46 watts, maby it could be less if i used a better/more efficient powersupply and I did let the HDDs spin down.

As the Avoton doesn't support latest Intel Speedstep technology, so idle power consumption won't be too low (it can only be clocked down to about 1.1GHz, while I've tested the Celeron C1037U - 1.8GHz, during idle it can be clocked down to 100MHz which saves huge amount of power). HDD standby can help a lot, as each HDD will consume 5-6W less. But looking at your setup, even it's on full loading it probably won't eat more than 60W.

BTW are you using ATX PSU with Q25 case? I found that PSU is a bit too big and blocking airflow, so I bought ATX-SFX mount and mount a used 250W SFX. If I don't have that old SFX PSU, I think I will go for 90-120W picoPSU to further reduce size.

Depends on your usage, if it's going to be idling most of the time, then most modern processors with dynamic clocking will be able to keep power usage down.

If you allow more power to be used, the i3-4130 is also a good choice, TDP 53W (if you can get i3-4130T, TDP 35W), supporting ECC memory + AES encryption, I believe it fulfills most of your need (normal Xeon eats 84W which is too much for me, and....if you fill all 8-12 drives in Silverstone 380 with all drives spinning, your little box will be consuming > 200W which might be fairly hot).

And for the cost, don't forget to include extra HBA as the board has only 6 SATA while their Avoton series have 12 SATA...

The marvell chips on that board (and in general) are known to run like crap, especially on Unix/Linux. (use google)
    Avoid products with marvell storage controllers. Lsi chips are recommended.

The onboard Marvel 88SE9230 is known to have some problem while running in RAID mode, disabling the feature will be fine, I have my system running in pretty good condition,

Nice build. I'm seriously considering the octacore in a Silverstone DS380B as I mentioned on the other thread.. I'd be interested in some performance info on the SATA and LAN ports if you get a spare 10 mins. :) doesn't this board take the same ECC memory that the N54L uses? That would make things convenient for me, as I have 2 x 8G Kingston DDR3-1333 unbuffered ECC that could be moved over.

Yes, it does support same memory type as the N54L (I have about 10pcs of DDR3-1333 4GB ECC UDIMM, tested on both, and C2550/C2750 actually supports DDR3L, which eats less power), so now my system has 4 x 4GB ECC.
    I'm not caring too much about SATA port speed as spinning HDD could hardly saturates SATA2. LAN port, no worry, it's i210, should be even better than my Pro 1000 PT Dual port.

yeah....that's what I did, actually my HP N54L was bought at around USD 120, which is so freaking cheap, I'm thinking to put it somewhere else for not so cpu intensive applications.

But if you are able to find the Asus one, I suggest you should go for it, it makes use of mini 8088 SFF connector, which allows you to expand much easier.

Glad you got it working :) I'll make sure I duplicate the settings in my BIOS.

@edwardwong out of interest, what board is your C2550 sat on? It wouldn't be an ASRock would it? Like the C2550D4I?

Yes, the hidden SATA settings are easily to be ignored at the very beginning (I set it once and never touch it, so I also forget to ask you guys to check).
    And yeah, my C2550 is an Asrock C2550D4i (C2750D4i was out of stock and distributor has no schedule to have it in stock), while the Asus P9A-I/2750/SAS/4L is also not available in my country as well. You can check this post for detail of my new build.

Frankly speaking I also tried Xpenology, same thing happened to me, from dmesg I can clearly see that Xpenology should have done something to keep it from working, but there are still some people got their enclosure working well. For me, Xpenology can only see 1st drive as well, no matter using AHCI/RAID option, but booting normal Ubuntu linux won't see this issue. I also tried FreeBSD, which is even worse, the system will stuck at boot.

From Plex forum, I can see some people talking about J1900 CPU, apparently it should work for transcoding all 720p video, and for 1080p, some of videos won't work, J2900 has a bit higher clock rate, so I guess this would suffice.

For me, I'm also using an ultra low power motherboard, the Intel C2550, and mine can do 2 x 1080p transcoding at the same time.

Even though J1900/J2900 series are using passive cooling, you might still need a fan because transcoding is a big CPU eater, and note that Quick Sync is currently unsupported on Plex.